Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] F Matt Boldy signs extension with the Wild (7 years, $7M AAV)

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Yikes. This scares me for what Vilardi is going to get this Summer.
He won’t get 7mil.

That is not true and you know it. Or else the rest of the league would be signing contracts like these because everyone's in a "cap world".

Minny are betting that Boldy becomes a player of 9M in today's cap. It's bold and therefore warrants some criticism.
I don’t know that.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Coyotes did the same thing with Dvorak and the Rangers with Skjei. Its an overpay at the time, but the trade off is trying to catch them just before they truly break out and by waiting you end up costing yourselves $2 million in cap space.

Didn't work out in the Coyotes or Rangers case. Both traded very early in their extensions for 1st round picks.
Well Skjei worked out for Carolina.

Not sure Dvorik’s 6 year/4.45m deal puts him in the same class and his contract was viewed as good value when he was traded. Arizona wanted extra 1sts pretty badly and he got them one.

That’s is not true and you know it. Or else the rest of the league would be signing contracts like these because everyone's in a "cap world".

Minny are betting that Boldy becomes a player of 9M in today's cap. It's bold and therefore warrants some criticism.
Stützle, Hughes, Brady Tkuchuk, Suzuki, Svechnikov, Heiskanen, Thomas, Norris, Thompson, Kyrou… how many examples do you need?

Not every team has a young player potentially worthy of a contract like this AND has the cap space to hand out long term deals.

Sometime teams do bridge deals because that’s all they can afford but the cap is about to jump way up after the escrow debt is taken care of. Teams want young stars as cost controlled assets.

Nathan MacKinnon is going to make 12.6m next season, 7m isn’t super star money .

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
atm is probably worth half that money.
again with these contracts... truck load of money for 21 year old with 80+ career games in the NHL

sign them long, sign them early
these 7 x 7 or 7 x 8 mill contracts
have become standard contracts
for young promising talent..

in finland we have this saying called;
järki käteen!

You are the last person I would expect to have any sort of understanding on the nuances of the cap and the future so this take doesn't surprise me one bit.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
As with most of these extensions - this seems way high and long to me for Boldy.

Makes me concerned about what Cozens is going to get prior to next season....

• Haha
Reactions: MK9 and ref19

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
On a 7 year deal, probably in the $6-$7 million range
Cozens is a near-PPG center right now. If he stays there for the rest of the year, he's > Suzuki and ~Robert Thomas, less maybe a couple hundred thousand per year for the 7 vs. 8 years.

He would be this even without Boldy's signing.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not if you're using Boldy at $7M/per as a benchmark. Cozens has outproduced him playing a much more important role with the Sabres.

I will give you that centers come at a premium, but he has only slightly outperformed Boldy this season. Last season Boldy outperformed him in just a little more than half the number of games played.

Lets see how each of them finishes this season.

Also, the cap is due to significantly raise in a few seasons. $7 million will seem like a bargain as long as Boldy continues to improve his game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad