How do Kings earn back your money?

Who needs to go to earn back your money?

• Total voters

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The Carrlyn stuff really isn't that big of a deal. I can't believe people want her demoted or fired over it.

And interviews are an annoyance for players. They don't want to do them, they're just trying to get it over with. That's why they're boring and pointless 99% of the time. Doesn't matter what the questions are.
If she was just a fan it would be fine. But a paid team employee telling someone to delete and refrain from posting statistics is not cool.
Im not on twitter and just saw the screenshots posted here. The bickering between her and fans afterwards wasnt bad just very unprofessional.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I think it was Andy Reid from the Kansas City Chiefs that said "you have to develop your system around your players, instead of having a system to develop your players into. It's harder to change the player than the system."
Indeed

but we have the Kings doing this

1715095912614.png

Last edited:

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
If we're being totally honest, I wouldn't mind changes to the broadcast, on ice production, roster, and front office. Carrylin Bathe seems like a very sweet person and I would never want to insult her but I'm just not into her work with the Kings. I'm sure her preparation or abilities are fine but the whole act just feels a bit... contrived: a more than common feeling i get with a lot of Kings media coverage. I do love Nick, Darryl, Stoll, and even Jesses podcast and Kings talk.

I agree with others about the in game production. The only thing I want to see between whistles is a carefully curated collection of replays of the action, things you can only catch on TV, Crypto is ABYSMAL in this department and I catch more of what's really happening on tv. I know I'm probably just getting old but I can't ever remember caring about a dance contest. I understand that they need to cater somewhat to the casual or non hockey fan but it feels more and more like they don't care about the die hards much.

The whole thing is a mess but winning a couple playoff rounds erases most of these complaints for me anyway.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
If we're being totally honest, I wouldn't mind changes to the broadcast, on ice production, roster, and front office. Carrylin Bathe seems like a very sweet person and I would never want to insult her but I'm just not into her work with the Kings. I'm sure her preparation or abilities are fine but the whole act just feels a bit... contrived: a more than common feeling i get with a lot of Kings media coverage. I do love Nick, Darryl, Stoll, and even Jesses podcast and Kings talk.

I agree with others about the in game production. The only thing I want to see between whistles is a carefully curated collection of replays of the action, things you can only catch on TV, Crypto is ABYSMAL in this department and I catch more of what's really happening on tv. I know I'm probably just getting old but I can't ever remember caring about a dance contest. I understand that they need to cater somewhat to the casual or non hockey fan but it feels more and more like they don't care about the die hards much.

The whole thing is a mess but winning a couple playoff rounds erases most of these complaints for me anyway.
I hate the in arena “experience” non-sense as well, but I think it’s important to remember that these Dance cams and push up contests and the like are all paid Sponsorship advertisements, not something the organization does because they think it’s cool. We’re never going to get only replays between whistles and other things that lose them opportunity for advertising revenue. This is a byproduct of an ever increasing salary cap and player wages, and why we see ads on jerseys and the like.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I hate the in arena “experience” non-sense as well, but I think it’s important to remember that these Dance cams and push up contests and the like are all paid Sponsorship advertisements, not something the organization does because they think it’s cool. We’re never going to get only replays between whistles and other things that lose them opportunity for advertising revenue. This is a byproduct of an ever increasing salary cap and player wages, and why we see ads on jerseys and the like.
A highlight package wouldn't hurt. Set it to some fast paced music, show some hits, you know...try to get the crowd into a hockey game?

I do feel sorry for Toyota and its Tough Hit of the Game sponsorship. They usually don't even have one to use.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If she was just a fan it would be fine. But a paid team employee telling someone to delete and refrain from posting statistics is not cool.
Im not on twitter and just saw the screenshots posted here. The bickering between her and fans afterwards wasnt bad just very unprofessional.
I agree she shouldn't have done it, but I don't want her to lose her job. It's just not a big deal.

This is literally a thread about what the Kings need to do to get us back as customers and we're talking about Carrlyn Bathe?

I'm more upset about her hair style than her twitter posts.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I agree she shouldn't have done it, but I don't want her to lose her job. It's just not a big deal.

This is literally a thread about what the Kings need to do to get us back as customers and we're talking about Carrlyn Bathe?

I think its more like that fiasco being a great example of the bigger picture. They run the team like a fascist regime. You arent allowed to question them even when they are losing and the season is in a spiral.
Yesterday was the first time anyone pretty much told them they are failing and they lied like propaganda ministers.
They have put together a mediocre product and expect us to just hand our money over and shut up because were stupid and they are genius.
The last game I went to was the cookie night against Buffalo at home when they blew a lead.
It was a bad enough performance that I sold all my tickets to later games and will not buy any next year.
I was on board with Blake at first and I have no ill will towards him as a person but I cant stand how they are acting so douchey while running the team into the ground.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes

I'm only mentioning her because I was thinking of changes I would make. To me, the television product fell off a cliff around the same time the team did. I can understand why many of you don't care about this aspect but watching the Kings games isn't nearly as enjoyable for me when I find the personalities covering them obnoxious.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a bigger deal than it is, I think it's becoming clearer by the day that it's Luc that needs to be shot out of a cannon and the anger should be directed at him.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I actually dig her hair.

But the reason I mentioned her specifically is because it was the perfect example of fans being directly violated by the organization. And yes, I find that telling fans not to criticize something that MUST be criticized is a bigger problem than a bad trade or signing. I can roll with those punches, but telling me not to post accurate facts or be upset with constant failures in the exact place where those feelings are supposed to be vented is a bigger front office problem to me.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think its more like that fiasco being a great example of the bigger picture. They run the team like a fascist regime. You arent allowed to question them even when they are losing and the season is in a spiral.
Yesterday was the first time anyone pretty much told them they are failing and they lied like propaganda ministers.
They have put together a mediocre product and expect us to just hand our money over and shut up because were stupid and they are genius.
The last game I went to was the cookie night against Buffalo at home when they blew a lead.
It was a bad enough performance that I sold all my tickets to later games and will not buy any next year.
I was on board with Blake at first and I have no ill will towards him as a person but I cant stand how they are acting so douchey while running the team into the ground.
I think the lack of aggressive media scrutiny has less to do with Blake and Luc being Hitler and Goebbels, and more to do with the lack of overall media caring about the team.

More coverage = more scrutiny. If this were a market that actually cared about the Kings there'd have been more criticism all along.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Stoll and O’Donnell (previously) seemed like the only guys who ever wanted to actually call it like it is even if they had to choose a more diplomatic path. Everyone else sucks. Actually, I’m cool with O’Neal too.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm only mentioning her because I was thinking of changes I would make. To me, the television product fell off a cliff around the same time the team did. I can understand why many of you don't care about this aspect but watching the Kings games isn't nearly as enjoyable for me when I find the personalities covering them obnoxious.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a bigger deal than it is, I think it's becoming clearer by the day that it's Luc that needs to be shot out of a cannon and the anger should be directed at him.
I don't like the TV coverage either. I usually mute the intermissions. But I didn't think it was very good back in the SC days either. Many components of the broadcast are standardized across the NHL. When I watch other teams home feed it's kind of the same thing.

I guess I have low standards. I'm a pessimist. I just expect the broadcasts to be bad.

Maybe it's a bit sexist for me to say, but Carrlyn is there to be cute, sweet, cheery and pleasant. Almost every team has one. It was the same thing with Heidi Androl and Alex Curry.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I actually dig her hair.

But the reason I mentioned her specifically is because it was the perfect example of fans being directly violated by the organization. And yes, I find that telling fans not to criticize something that MUST be criticized is a bigger problem than a bad trade or signing. I can roll with those punches, but telling me not to post accurate facts or be upset with constant failures in the exact place where those feelings are supposed to be vented is a bigger front office problem to me.
ok just to nit pick

she doesn't work for the team. Nobody told her to tell anybody anything.

Reactions: The Butcher

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
caryln bathe reminds me of cloris leachman's character in young frankenstien

Bring back alex curry

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I think the lack of aggressive media scrutiny has less to do with Blake and Luc being Hitler and Goebbels, and more to do with the lack of overall media caring about the team.

More coverage = more scrutiny. If this were a market that actually cared about the Kings there'd have been more criticism all along.
I have many thoughts on the matter but am unsure how to share them without being accused of talking down.

I will say this. The organization doesn't instruct people to ask certain things and the organization is not punitive with access. In fact they have increased the amount of people that have been critical of the organization over the last two years.

She is just a volunteer on the broadcast?
Bally Sports is not the Kings.

It may SEEM like an inconsequential difference but I assure you it is not.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
ok just to nit pick

she doesn't work for the team. Nobody told her to tell anybody anything.
I'll pick at this nit too.

Do you think the average fan, or even one as maniacal as myself knows or distinguishes that fact?

I am not claiming that anybody told her to respond in that fashion, it sure seemed like a normal person reacting to something they didn't like on social media. But the overly, sometimes delusional positivity that we saw earlier this year from the front office down to the broadcast crew sure seemed like a party line being towed. If that isn't the case, who do we direct that particular frustration to if not their individual social media accounts?

And this is more of the royal "we" here I have never opened a twitter/x account and never post any kind of feedback on Instagram. Clearly younger generations do engage in that though.

Reactions: Lt Dan

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'll pick at this nit too.

Do you think the average fan, or even one as maniacal as myself knows or distinguishes that fact?
No. That's why I'm nitpicking. You said something incorrect. I'm correcting that.

There's very little I feel comfortable saying on here that's even remotely critical of the organization. One thing I CAN do is protest when I think unfair criticisms are being made. Then hopefully a chalk outline of my opinions can be found in the areas where I don't comment.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
The media is the least of the worries.....pre game, post game, on air.....well, maybe on air. As long as the Kings don't have NJ's or CO's play by play, I'll listen. I'll take slurring/offensive Jack Edwards vs those two clowns.

Reactions: LAKings88

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No. That's why I'm nitpicking. You said something incorrect. I'm correcting that.

There's very little I feel comfortable saying on here that's even remotely critical of the organization. One thing I CAN do is protest when I think unfair criticisms are being made. Then hopefully a chalk outline of my opinions can be found in the areas where I don't comment.
Appreciate the correction. I didn't think about that distinction.

Reactions: The Butcher

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The paid / credentialed media is made up of team employees and minor journalists / radio personalities / amateurs. This is due the popularity of the sport in the market, where it is a niche entertainment product.

Don’t expect fan sentiment to sway ownership to change course. Since the Gretzky era, when I first became a fan, the only thing that spurs change is empty seats. Which is fair because that’s the bottom line.

The uncomfortable truth is that Kings fans for the most part are not overly bothered by just making the playoffs most years. As long as the team is competitive, they’ll show up to the games. Most are conditioned to expect to come up short all the time, that they are satisfied with likable players to cheer for.

I think the native Kings fan base has the most cross over with the dodgers fan base. It’s easy going and patient. Not like the basketball or football fan bases. Who seem more passionate about always winning, not always being competitive on paper.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad