Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] F Matt Boldy signs extension with the Wild (7 years, $7M AAV)

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
It is strange that the league fought so hard for concessions on RFA deals and cap, only to have the general managers completely ignore it. Do they even understand that the player literally can't go anywhere else?
It’s a cap world. Better to get the number in at 7 now rather than 9 something in 2 years

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Matt Boldy's ass beat up Torey Krug, true story.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
I get why they did this but its crazy how many like 50 million dollar contracts are being handed out to guys with less than 100 games played.

Will be interesting to see if he can keep up those numbers when not playing third line competition
What are you talking about lol

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
What are you talking about lol
Referring to what part? The graphic said he was getting 3rd line TOI and like 50 percentile for quality of competition

You should see what they paid a player with only 55 games
Ya its crazy how much teams are doubling down on potential for players with significant term control . Seems the days of RFA years being lower cap hits than UFA years is gone

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I mean, his next contract will be given when he's ~28 and likely right in the middle of his prime and heading into UFA, holding maximum leverage.
What I meant by that is that GMs are far better off giving more money to younger promising players than they are to overpaying for aging players who are going to be significantly overpayed as they drop off. Ideally, you'd want a player's long-term contract to cover ages ~22-23 to ages ~28-29. And then give less money to older players by taking into account they will most likely regress.

I think everything will naturally adjusts towards that now that younger players get bigger contracts.

And 28 years old is, for most players, NOT the middle of their prime, but more towards the end. Exception exists, obviously.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What I meant by that is that GMs are far better off giving more money to younger promising players than they are to overpaying for aging players who are going to be significantly overpayed as they drop off. Ideally, you'd want a player's long-term contract to cover ages ~22-23 to ages ~28-29. And then give less money to older players by taking into account they will most likely regress.

I think everything will naturally adjusts towards that now that younger players get bigger contracts.

And 28 years old is, for most players, NOT the middle of their prime, but more towards the end. Exception exists, obviously.
If teams don't want to pay 28 year olds they lose the player. Which is fine, of course, but then you have to accept that Boldy will only be a Minnesota player for this contract.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Same graphic says his linemates are even worse, so I suppose it balances out.
I would think quality of linemates effects goals for more while quality of competition effects goals against more. Point is still valid, I.e I wonder if he will keep those great numbers up when playing 1st line matchups

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
He's worth that, without question. If you're not sure about this deal, just que up some wild highlights on youtube. If it's not Kaprizov in the video, it's certainly Boldy.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It’s a cap world. Better to get the number in at 7 now rather than 9 something in 2 years
They only bought 2 UFA years and 5 RFA years with this deal. What I'm saying is that you could have technically offered 5 years x 1 million and he'd have no other options. Why does nobody get this?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If teams don't want to pay 28 year olds they lose the player. Which is fine, of course, but then you have to accept that Boldy will only be a Minnesota player for this contract.
That's the key, whether GMs can exercise self-control on the next deals. Otherwise the benefit of the RFA deals basically go away.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
Horrible signing. I like Boldy, but he doesn't generate his own scoring chances. He is reliant on having a really good player on his line. Could have just signed Fiala for the same money instead.

Reactions: thethirdhockeyman91

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
He relied on having Fiala. This year his numbers are down because he's expected to be the "guy" on his line and he's not playing like a 7x7 player. I'd be fine if he got Ek's contract, but this contract could really look bad if they don't go find someone to play on his line.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He relied on having Fiala. This year his numbers are down because he's expected to be the "guy" on his line and he's not playing like a 7x7 player. I'd be fine if he got Ek's contract, but this contract could really look bad if they don't go find someone to play on his line.

He's only slightly behind last years numbers while playing without Fiala.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Are you aware of Fiala's numbers without Boldy on his line last year? Before Boldy's call up, Fiala had 15 points in 24 games (~51 point pace). That less than Boldy's current pace (~56 points)

Fiala and Boldy both benefited from playing with each other, and there's no shame in producing better with quality linemates.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad