Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Ian Cole for Greg Pateryn

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
THANK GOD.

Honestly Cole will probably be a passable bottom pairing defenseman on the Wild and better than Pateryn, he just wasn't a fit on the Avs anymore. I imagine this was done at least on the Avs POV for a few reasons:

1) To appease Cole so he has a chance of showing he's still a serviceable NHL player for his next contract
2) To save cap space for TDL moves + bonuses
3) RHD for LHD

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs retain 800K which means they save about 1.2M in cap space.

They were forced to play 7D because of how tight they were to the cap. This completely opens up that flexibility while allowing them to bank a lot of money to add essentially whatever they want at the deadline.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Pointless.
giphy.gif

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Cole will help minny more than pateryn so it makes sense from that stand point.......otherwise...idk....they're a ways a way but a solid vet who relishes in a PK and shot blocking role can be good for the team and rub off well on the younger guys.....he'll eat up more tougher minutes to alleviate the top 4 D in minny.

Reactions: BHD

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Avs retain 800K which means they save about 1.2M in cap space.

They were forced to play 7D because of how tight they were to the cap. This completely opens up that flexibility while allowing them to bank a lot of money to add essentially whatever they want at the deadline.
source for the retention amount?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Interested to see retention - to me this is all about the $2 million in cap savings as in an ideal world neither Cole nor Pateryn or skating full-time in the top 6.

With retention it will be less than $2 million...but how much less? I suppose even a short-term $1 million in cap savings could be useful.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
sakic doesn't want to waive Cole and this gives Cole some more time to play is my guess on this.
I mean it wouldn't shock me if it was Cole asking for a trade. He must've known he is a #7 D on this team if everyone is healthy. Not exactly the best position to be when you are 31 years old on an expiring contract. While I'm sure he loved Colorado and the guys, he has also won 2 cups already. If I was him I would be selfish and ask for a trade as well, to a team where I can play.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Minnesota now have Cole at $3.45m, and with some more retention on that they could probably get a reasonable asset for him at the deadline.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
How much salary is COL retaining?

It will be interesting to hear the motivation behind this deal.
Cole probably wasn't enamored with the idea of riding the taxi. And Avs don't really suffer malcontents. They also saved cap, Bowen probably forced their hand a bit and they still got a decent depth D who won't have a problem riding the taxi.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Avs are making room for their young defenceman. Pateryn provides them with a right shot depth piece. A small cap savings is also a positive for Colorado.

Cole has higher upside than Pateryn.

He’s been bad this year, but if he gets back to his form from last season it’s a good pickup for the Wild.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pateryn is likely waived tomorrow too. That’ll be a few hundred k extra in savings for Colorado and they’ll transfer him back and forth from the taxi squad as needed.

Reactions: Richard88

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
This is awesome. Cole's tank was getting close to empty, I can only think he disagreed and would have wanted more playing time being a UFA. Avs get to swap him to make room for the kids that were already better and in the process removing a defender that was more of a detriment on the ice than positive. Once he hit the top four due to injuries, it was the beginning of the end last year.

Reactions: PAZ and BHD

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m surprised. I think this is the right move. Byram and Timmins need to play. I just never would’ve thought they would trade a vet like Cole, at least not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad