Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
In today's NHL, Eric Staal isn't old, besides, he is the type of player who can be that what he is now at 40
and beyond, so him to be 36, is not going to be problem, not the slightest.

Think of 35, 36 the new 30, 31.
33-34 is always the first wall for players. High end players might still produce, but not at the pace of their youth. Lower end players crash into grinder territory and soon retire.

Staal is a higher end player, but his days of 60+ point seasons are likely over.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
33-34 is always the first wall for players. High end players might still produce, but not at the pace of their youth. Lower end players crash into grinder territory and soon retire.

Staal is a higher end player, but his days of 60+ point seasons are likely over.
He was on pace for 79 GP, 23G, 34A, 57P before the COVID shutdown. 60 doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
On surface level it's a great deal for Buffalo but I just somehow have the feeling Staal will fizzle out a bit. Doesn't make any sense for Minnesota though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Has anyone actually listened to the podcast? I find it odd no other media besides a SBNation blog reports that.

I heard him mention it. Not a clue what podcast it happened on though. On his podcast he typically reveals a lotta details on subjects that he never officially publishes.

He was on pace for 79 GP, 23G, 34A, 57P before the COVID shutdown. 60 doesn't seem that far-fetched.

It’s not. Staal is already slow as shit, but the guy consistently finds himself in a good offensive position. He definitely could have a career trajectory similar to Thornton, which is why I’m dumbfounded BG didn’t think it’d be smart to keep him around. Staal obviously didn’t care about money.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I doubt the roster configuration in Buffalo is going to give Staal top 6 C minutes by default. He’ll have to outperform the younger Reinhart. Or injury strikes Eichel and/or Reinhart.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Doesn't look too good on paper but maybe Guerin wants to get rid of the old guard and set a new tone in the locker room bor something?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Doesn't look too good on paper but maybe Guerin wants to get rid of the old guard and set a new tone in the locker room bor something?

Pretty much. Johansson also at his age could resign while Staal was gone

I’d expect MN to add 2 Cs before the season starts .

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
In today's NHL, Eric Staal isn't old, besides, he is the type of player who can be that what he is now at 40
and beyond, so him to be 36, is not going to be problem, not the slightest.

Think of 35, 36 the new 30, 31.

Based on what? Honestly you try to act as an authority when you're making some outrageous hot takes and never ever back up any of your claims. You just come in, spew some shit and disappear. What's up with that? Do you honestly ever read what you type before you hit "post reply"?

36 is old. Especially when you're losing your legs. I like Staal and would've liked to see him retire in Minnesota, but make no mistake about the fact that Eric Staal is not part of any team's plans going forward. He is a cap downgrade for Buffalo. A nice veteran piece to mentor some of the younger players but he's basically done for. I believe he'd be hard pressed to even show up, let alone ever resign with Buffalo. Though resigning probably isn't high on Buffalo's priorities either.

Bad end to a feel-good story about a veteran finding his wings for the last time.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
How is this legal?! The playoff is still going on. The Stars or Islanders could really use a guy like Staal to put them over the top. Now they get robbed of that opportunity. :(

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
How is this legal?! The playoff is still going on. The Stars or Islanders could really use a guy like Staal to put them over the top. Now they get robbed of that opportunity. :(
You can make trades anytime of the year even after trade deadline. Those players are not eligible for playoffs. Mostly teams that are out or not making the playoffs can make trades.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Based on what? Honestly you try to act as an authority when you're making some outrageous hot takes and never ever back up any of your claims. You just come in, spew some shit and disappear. What's up with that? Do you honestly ever read what you type before you hit "post reply"?

36 is old. Especially when you're losing your legs. I like Staal and would've liked to see him retire in Minnesota, but make no mistake about the fact that Eric Staal is not part of any team's plans going forward. He is a cap downgrade for Buffalo. A nice veteran piece to mentor some of the younger players but he's basically done for. I believe he'd be hard pressed to even show up, let alone ever resign with Buffalo. Though resigning probably isn't high on Buffalo's priorities either.

Bad end to a feel-good story about a veteran finding his wings for the last time.

We all have our opinions.

Reactions: Ciao

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
On surface level it's a great deal for Buffalo but I just somehow have the feeling Staal will fizzle out a bit. Doesn't make any sense for Minnesota though.

He could just up and retire too, it's been widely reported in the past he would rather than accept a trade.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this is a great trade for Buffalo. Love it.

Just like Edmonton, and Toronto making a similar mistake, these teams including Buffalo thought they can rely on their young stars to carry the team today right now. They probably think they can ignore their other problems by hopefully winning games via scoreboard and literally scoring the lites out of everyone and making the playoffs.

It doesn't work this way and I feel Buffalo is trying to take a chapter out of the Canucks minor success by adding some Veterans to lead and guide their young group. Feel free to rip on benning on some of his free agent signings. you cannot try to pretend, guys like Rouselle and Beagle, is not helping our younger guys. Heck, even Pettersson is asking management to keep Toffoli around because of his leadership. Lets face it, it's unreasonable to think Eichel, and Reinhart can carry this team, they are still really young for NHL players. Well done Buffalo.

Reactions: Club

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Wild are gonna go after someone else to center their top line

Johansson will play wing to Eriksson Ek

Stepan seems natural to get Zuccarello going again.

Zucc-Stepan-Fiala
Parise-ErikssonEk-Kaprizov
Rask-Johansson-Kunin
Foligno-Bjustad-Greenway
Donato in the mix

And Khovanov could move up to the 2c spot.

Not a single Canadian in that forward group.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006

I like how you start this reply with “based on what?” And then launch into a ton of opinionated projection, much of which there is no way you’d have any real information about. God bless hfboards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad