Confirmed Trade: [MIN/BUF] Marcus Johansson for Eric Staal

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't see much downside for Buffalo. Not much upside for Minnesota. I guess if you maybe want to trade Staal, there's only a few places around the Great Lakes near Thunder Bay that he would be ok with going to.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I like how you start this reply with “based on what?” And then launch into a ton of opinionated projection, much of which there is no way you’d have any real information about. God bless hfboards.

It's not on an opinion that Staal loved Minnesota. It's not an opinion that Staal under no circumstance didn't want to get traded. It's not an opinion that Staal wanted to retire in Minnesota. He even went out of his way to actively make trading him earlier an impossibility via giving out a no-trade list that consisted of all the viable trade partners ie. contenders looking for help down the middle. He also, according to Russo, was stunned when the trade news broke out. All this is common knowledge at least to those who follow the Wild even remotely.

Based on these facts, I speculated that Staal might not even want to play for any other team. Especially for a bottom feeder like the Sabres. Though he's too much of a professional to back down and not honor the agreement. Still my speculation is based on something, even though it's just an opinion. Which is a big difference compared to the poster I referenced in my post.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
It's not on an opinion that Staal loved Minnesota. It's not an opinion that Staal under no circumstance didn't want to get traded. It's not an opinion that Staal wanted to retire in Minnesota. He even went out of his way to actively make trading him earlier an impossibility via giving out a no-trade list that consisted of all the viable trade partners ie. contenders looking for help down the middle. He also, according to Russo, was stunned when the trade news broke out. All this is common knowledge at least to those who follow the Wild even remotely.

Based on these facts, I speculated that Staal might not even want to play for any other team. Especially for a bottom feeder like the Sabres. Though he's too much of a professional to back down and not honor the agreement. Still my speculation is based on something, even though it's just an opinion. Which is a big difference compared to the poster I referenced in my post.
Alrighty

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Are Minnesota making room for Anton Lundell to be their 1C as an 19 year old rookie? Or what's the plan here?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So, what exactly is the "upside" to this, for Minnesota? I mean, i like Johansson...but he's a pretty iffy player with a ton of injury issues, and even on top of that...not as productive and useful as Staal.

Bizarre deal.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I see the reason for Buffalo, confused why Minnesota made this trade.

They get the worse, more expensive, higher cap hit player who plays a position of lower need for them as well as downgrade on leadership. Not to mention Staal was essentially a hometown boy.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I doubt the roster configuration in Buffalo is going to give Staal top 6 C minutes by default. He’ll have to outperform the younger Reinhart. Or injury strikes Eichel and/or Reinhart.

Reinhart's played like 3 games at C in the NHL, none under Krueger, not even when Eichel was hurt. Realistically, Staal's only competition for top 6 minutes is Cozens.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
didnt guerin and russo specifically come out and say they werent trading for more wingers? or did i hear just hear that from some minnesota fans on here? just seems like an odd trade if that was the case.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The more I think about, the more I'm sure Staal retires rather than move during a pandemic. Adams had to shoot his shot, but Im pretty sure all he's done is get $4.5mill off the books.

Reactions: Ignatius

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
didnt guerin and russo specifically come out and say they werent trading for more wingers? or did i hear just hear that from some minnesota fans on here? just seems like an odd trade if that was the case.
Wild stunner: Eric Staal dealt to Sabres, and the Matt Dumba rumors intensify
The trade, on the surface, is peculiar from one fairly important standpoint.

The 5-foot-11 Johansson has played left wing for most of his career. Guerin says he was acquired to play center.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
When you put it like that I would not be surprised at all if Staal just retired. He just might not be up for that in a season that is going to be covidclusterf***ed anyways.

He really should have negotiated a full no trade clause with the sweatheart deals he gave the Wild.

If he did that and wiped out his cap hit Buffalo would be at about 38 million in cap that might be even better for them in a way

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's an interesting trade. One-for-one deals involving two veterans are so rare these days, so it is kinda refreshing.

I don't think Guerin is done, so I will judge this one at the start of 2020-21 because this seems like a precursor trade from the Wild standpoint.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Most of HF doesn't realize that Staal isn't the player they think he is. The man has slowed incredibly over the last year. Painful watching him skate sometimes. Can't imagine he gets any better next year. Johansson is fast and skilled. Being undervalued because a couple rough years.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I didn't say it was smart...I was just answering the question posed... :laugh:

lol well, when the MoJo at C experiment ends in Minnesota, he could still work out to be a useful utility winger for you guys. His real strength is controlled zone entries (he's pretty average both offensively and defensively), so he could help a line that's always stuck dumping and chasing but not by design.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
IMO the only reason to do this is that Minnesota is awaiting a #1 and #2 C this summer.

They could go for a big trade for a #1b like Malkin ? and then trade for Domi as #2c ? Guerrin definitely has something up

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Most of HF doesn't realize that Staal isn't the player they think he is. The man has slowed incredibly over the last year. Painful watching him skate sometimes. Can't imagine he gets any better next year. Johansson is fast and skilled. Being undervalued because a couple rough years.
Yes, but like Thornton Staal has the Hockey IQ to always be well positioned, he will give Buff 2-3 good years at 50p+ still.
and Staal is a machine in Playoff, so it's a big win for Buff

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3