Confirmed with Link: Miller Gets the Bridge. Two-Years, $2.75 AAV

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Ryan Kennedy's perspective on the situation:

Things are looking up for J.T. Miller and now the talented center has a new contract to show for it. The New York Rangers avoided an arbitration hearing with their young pivot by signing Miller to a two-year deal with an average annual value of $2.75 million. Who says the bridge deal is dead?
Miller will actually still be a restricted free agent when this new deal expires, which is great news for Rangers GM Jeff Gorton, who gets a bit more certainty in his future plans. Right now, the Blueshirts have a host of expensive veterans on their roster, but two seasons away the story could be different. Will Rick Nash still be around? What about Marc Staal or Dan Girardi? Heck, if New York is not a contender anymore in a couple seasons, what about Henrik Lundqvist? (I realize only Nash’s contract ends by then, but y’know: crazy trades happen)
In Miller, Gorton has a rising asset on his hands. Not only was Miller named to Team North America’s World Cup squad for this summer, but he also hit career highs in all major offensive categories. His star is on the ascent and as he becomes more firmly entrenched in New York, his role will surely increase.
And while $2.75 million is nothing to sniff at, Miller sure looks poised to cash in once this new deal expires. Right now, the Rangers are pretty snug in terms of the cap, with less than $10 million available and RFAs Chris Kreider, Kevin Hayes and Dylan McIlrath still to sign. Fitting all three is certainly doable, but Miller’s pact helped out.
But if he continues to become more valuable in New York, that next contract is going to be his big payday. Everybody looks like a winner on this one.

Why does everyone in the media keep calling Miller a center when he's been predominantly a wing these past 2 years?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rangers-re-sign-j-t-miller-to-a-very-nice-new-contract/

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
One other thing to consider in the bridge deal or lock them up while young debate is that while a team might be forced to pay up after, they do buyout more UFA year overall by starting with a bridge deal.

JT will be 25 when his bride deal runs out, and still an RFA. If he earns it you sign him to $4.5-$5.5m deal for 6 and then you've got him til 31. At 31 you probably let him walk.

Sign him to $4.25m now for 6 and he's a UFA at 29. Much more valuable at this age and likely costs more to re-up. If he keeps progressing he's costing $5.5-6m so he probably walks at 29.

Now this is all assuming he becomes a 55 point player eventually, someone similar to Brassard, but will he become a center or a winger?

Deciding on going the bridge deal or long term route one must consider many factors, upside, current age, likely peak, etc. I think bridge deals work well for inconsistent players with unknown upside. It's the safe way to go for an organization. If you manage your cap well the $1-2m should've make much difference if you have to pay up later.

This is a solid counter perspective, thanks

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Here's how I look at it. Stepan with his bridge deal and most recent contract was retained for an average of 5.65 million for 8 years. We enjoyed two years of great cap space and will have 5 more years at an adequate cap hit. I see no down side. The same will hold true for miller

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Im a fan of the bridge deal in general. A lot can happen with younger players and you want to keep that carrot at the end of the stick.

Im surprised so many people wanted to hand Miller a long term deal. Hes a nice young player thats coming along, but certainly not somebody I'd be interested in the Rangers investing in long-term right now

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
One other thing to consider in the bridge deal or lock them up while young debate is that while a team might be forced to pay up after, they do buyout more UFA year overall by starting with a bridge deal.

JT will be 25 when his bride deal runs out, and still an RFA. If he earns it you sign him to $4.5-$5.5m deal for 6 and then you've got him til 31. At 31 you probably let him walk.

Sign him to $4.25m now for 6 and he's a UFA at 29. Much more valuable at this age and likely costs more to re-up. If he keeps progressing he's costing $5.5-6m so he probably walks at 29.

Now this is all assuming he becomes a 55 point player eventually, someone similar to Brassard, but will he become a center or a winger?

Deciding on going the bridge deal or long term route one must consider many factors, upside, current age, likely peak, etc. I think bridge deals work well for inconsistent players with unknown upside. It's the safe way to go for an organization. If you manage your cap well the $1-2m should've make much difference if you have to pay up later.

Very true, nice post especially the part about being able to buy up more UFA years post bridge.

However that requires a couple things that you noted, mostly if they manage the cap well, meaning when it's time to go buy up UFA years the team has not already spent that cap space on other stuff. (signing Boyle and Glass the off-season prior to Hagelin or Stralman needing new deals that would be buying up UFA years for example was not very foresight orientated)

The other things we do not know, what the contract would have had to become if it were long term, like would Miller want to sign long term to a lowish cap hit/salary, or does he feel that he can take a shorter deal now and make more overall career money by doing so.

It really depends on both parties finding that compromise for it to make sense, in this case I think this is a good compromise for both parties.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Derek Stepan got paid 6.5 million a year because he consistently produced at a 50-60 PPG pace. Brassard was a bit of an enigma prior to coming to NY. If Miller puts up 55 points a year, he will command in the 5.5 - 6 range.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Honestly I did not think of it this way but this makes lot of sense now.

The only thing I disagree with is that if Miller becomes a 55 point player I do think in 2 years time he will command more than 4.5-5.5. Probably at least 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad