Confirmed with Link: Miller Gets the Bridge. Two-Years, $2.75 AAV

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Is Miller still RFA after those two years?

He's the one RFA I would have locked up long term, oh well.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Glad he's back.

Would've preferred him for a long term deal, but this is the situation the Rangers are in.

For people who are going to complain non-stop about him getting a bridge deal, it is also possible that him and his agent recognize the situation the Rangers are in and he didn't want to sign long term.

2.625 is going to be great value though, so that's nice. Sucks that we most likely won't be good while he's playing at that rate.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Coming of age party started last year and will only get better over these two years. Can't wait.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Love this deal.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooove.

What exactly do you love about this deal??

It's a standard RFA bridge deal.

If we got him locked up at 4 million per then I'd "love it".

We're just going to have to re-sign him again within 2 years.

Unless you were worried for some reason they weren't going to be able to come to terms period. Which would've been silly.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bridge deals are stupid, and they should have signed him long term. Gonna come back like a ***** in two years when he needs a new contract.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Given his inconsistency a bridge makes sense I guess.

Bridge deals are also why we always look around the league and wonder why "our cap hits don't look like theirs'"

Stepan was actually the guy to skip the bridge but they didn't even do that.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Because maybe he doesn't score 20 goals again in the next two seasons and we can re-sign him for four years after this bridge at $4m if he earns that?

So we get 6 seasons at ~$3.5m AAV rather than signing him to 4 or more seasons today based off one season of performance?

It's a gamble, but it's one that I personally believe will pay off for the Rangers.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This isn't that great. Miller is going to want $$$ in two years.

Would have preferred him locked up long term somewhere between $3M and $3.5M.

It's a good deal, but not a great one. I know it's a gamble due to his consistency and last year being his first full year, buuuuuuuut...I feel like this is a gamble the Rangers will lose.

I guess we'll see what the whole teams contract situation looks like in two years.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

I can see the pro's to both a bridge deal or locking him up longer. He caught lighting in a bottle for a month, posted a very high shooting %. Plenty of inconsistency in his game.

it's not like he's Stepan and was obvious to get a long term deal when he just got a bridge deal. Steady and consistent player.

Plus the cap of the current team kind of prevented much more than $2.5-3.5m.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Because maybe he doesn't score 20 goals again in the next two seasons and we can re-sign him for four years after this bridge at $4m if he earns that?

So we get 6 seasons at ~$3.5m AAV rather than signing him to 4 or more seasons today based off one season of performance?

It's a gamble, but it's one that I personally believe will pay off for the Rangers.

True. But at the same time this how the Rangers have handled most of their RFA's dating back to Dubinsky and Callahan's RFA deals. So it was pretty much expected.

Edit: you say you think this is a gamble the Rangers are going to win as in you don't think JT is going to take it to the next step?

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Rick Nash's contract is gone in two years. What's the issue?

This is a good point.

Totally forgot that Nash will be gone. Glass will likely be gone. Grabner will likely be gone. Klein...???

But again, depends on what happens between now and then and what our cap space will look like in two years, which isn't really clear at this point.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
True. But at the same time this how the Rangers have handled most of their RFA's dating back to Dubinsky and Callahan's RFA deals. So it was pretty much expected.
McDonagh got a longer deal, Stepan should've got a longer deal. Some of the other players were too inconsistent coming up like Kreider, Miller, and Hayes. Poor cap management also forces their hand.

I don't have a problem with a bridge deal for Miller, if he proves to light it up the next two years, the team will be happy to pay him more.

Also extra cap space still gives them some flexibility for help on D.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
McDonagh got a longer deal, Stepan should've got a longer deal. Some of the other players were too inconsistent coming up like Kreider, Miller, and Hayes. Poor cap management also forces their hand.

I don't have a problem with a bridge deal for Miller, if he proves to light it up the next two years, the team will be happy to pay him more.

Also extra cap space still gives them some flexibility for help on D.

This is the only excuse I would accept from the team as too why they couldn't give him a longer deal. But there's a 95% chance they won't do anything with the defense so either way the point is moot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad