Friedman: Miles Wood is on the trade block

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Jake McCabe for Wood makes too much sense. He can come in and play 3rd pair minutes, kill penalties, provide some physical play. Sabres can then insert Pilut into the lineup once they find a home for Scandella.

Wood could come in and play on the 4th line with Larsson and Girgensons which would be a pretty decent energy line

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I'd just like to see him on the Avs. Seems like a player with blazing speed and those guys work out well on our team.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Because he makes too much money to be not good at hockey

2.75M for a versatile player w/ upside, that's fine

we'd be buying low as well, that's obviously the intriguing part in all of this

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Vatanan isn't very good and he is always hurt. Add in the fact that the Hayes trade was pretty awful on Winnipeg's end. Be surprised if it was much more than a 2nd
We always say every year _____ over paid at the deadline yet every year there are teams always over paying at the deadline. Vatanen has actually been pretty good this year so i would definitely expect him to draw a 1st. Especially being one of the few good dmen available. Bidding war or a GM desperate to secure the back end is all it takes. And yeah, the trade was bad on Winnipeg’s end, like i said we see it over and over

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
juan moore, LHD, boston bruins. formerly of the diablos. and a 5th rounder.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
This would be a massive upgrade on Dal Colle for the Islanders. He fits in with the ethos of the Trotz minded bottom 6.

Whats the cost and do NJD move him in the division?

Reactions: 12Dog

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I along with every other Sabres and Devils fan on here it seems would do McCabe for Wood trade today. I've never seen a proposal so universally agreed upon by both sides on here.

I'm curious about Zacha from NJ.... he's still young and on an inexpensive RFA level contract through 2022.

The Sabres could send to NJ Vesey or Rodrigues for the even cap swap, and then a good pick or prospect. We've got guys in the D pipeline NJ would prob be interested in that we can afford to give up, even after the proposed McCabe-Wood swap that's obviously happening after Botterill and Shero catch wind of this thread.

For some NJ fans perspective on here.. I admittedly don't watch the Devils often.. what are your thoughts on Zacha and why he's struggled? Could he be available via trade also?

His oZS% has slowly gone down every year since he started in the NHL and his dZS% has gone up... is that because the NJ top-6 has improved with Hischier, Hall and now Hughes so he's been bumped down the lineup, or is his ceiling just limited offensively?

Even if he's offensively challenged... I'm still maybe interested from the BUF side. The Casey Mittelstadt experiment is failing hard and I'm losing faith, both in his talents and how poorly we've handled his development. We need a 2nd or 3rd line Center who can contribute more

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I along with every other Sabres and Devils fan on here it seems would do McCabe for Wood trade today. I've never seen a proposal so universally agreed upon by both sides on here.

I'm curious about Zacha from NJ.... he's still young and on an inexpensive RFA level contract through 2022.

The Sabres could send to NJ Vesey or Rodrigues for the even cap swap, and then a good pick or prospect. We've got guys in the D pipeline NJ would prob be interested in that we can afford to give up, even after the proposed McCabe-Wood swap that's obviously happening after Botterill and Shero catch wind of this thread.

For some NJ fans perspective on here.. I admittedly don't watch the Devils often.. what are your thoughts on Zacha and why he's struggled? Could he be available via trade also?

His oZS% has slowly gone down every year since he started in the NHL and his dZS% has gone up... is that because the NJ top-6 has improved with Hischier, Hall and now Hughes so he's been bumped down the lineup, or is his ceiling just limited offensively?

Even if he's offensively challenged... I'm still maybe interested from the BUF side. The Casey Mittelstadt experiment is failing hard and I'm losing faith, both in his talents and how poorly we've handled his development. We need a 2nd or 3rd line Center who can contribute more

He'll be our best player for 15 games and then just disappear for 30. He has fantastic offensive upside but just no consistency. He might find it, or he might not. In the meantime he's a good defensive forward and one of the best penalty killers in the league. He would probably be available if a team really wanted him, don't know what the price would be though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Going back a ways, I think Ottawa/Vancouver fans agreed on a Peter Schaefer for Sami Salo trade before it happened in real life.

At least for me, Zacha has lacked the offensive hockey sense to stick around in the top 6 as a center. With the Hughes injury, he's gotten another chance to center Hall so we'll see if he can do anything with the temporary audition. Defensively he's been fine, I just don't know if he's gonna be good enough playmaker. Even pre-draft, there was some thought that Zacha's offensive skillset (decent speed/shot) might be best suited as a winger.

Earlier in the season he got a few games flanking Hughes (and also to take draws as Hughes was having his expected struggles at the dot) but that experiment only last a couple games and Zacha found himself down on the depth chart again. Since they were sheltering Hughes early on, I'd imagine that the Zajac/Zacha lines got the majority of defensive zone draws. In some games, Zacha's been centering guys like Miles Wood and John Hayden which isn't exactly a recipe for offensive output.

I like to think there's still some untapped potential, but the ceiling has been gradually dropping.

Reactions: I Like Eich

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Maybe i'm overrating Johnsson relative to Wood then, make the pick a first rounder if it's that bad. Not sure of the exact value but I think Johnsson/Ceci & Wood/Vatanen work quite well as the framework of a deal when you consider all of their contract situations/cap hits and the fact we could use a more skilled winger to replace Hall once he is inevitably moved.
Leave out the defenseman. Make it a Kerfoot for Wood + base.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Habs could use a winger like Wood but i'm sure the same could be said for almost every team in the league.

Speed + versatile + strong, good combo to have in todays game. Dunno why NJ would move him (unless he wants out), he could play anywhere in their lineup.

His defensive play and attention to detail are a mess. He's an unreal skater though and combines that with some meanness and that's a rare combo. If you found him the right coach it might be magic.

But as it stands, he's not good enough defensively (and paid too much) to be in the bottom half of the lineup and not good enough offensively to be in the top half. I don't see any contenders being interested.

He's a fun player to watch though. If I was Ottawa, LA or Anaheim I would be all over him.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Baertschi for Wood?
Change of scenery for both players. Both LW. Kicker is NJ could have had Baertschi for free on a waiver claim, but maybe didn't want to spend the salary $$ at the time.

Another option could be a prospect like Olli Juolevi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad