Friedman: Miles Wood is on the trade block

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
What kind of + would NJ be willing to attach for Johnsson? That's the kind of downgrade I'd take to free up a little money. Wood and Kapanen on the same line would be fun.

Maybe like Wood + Vatanen for Johnsson + Ceci + a pick (2nd)? A slight downgrade on Johnsson which saves some money, while Vatanen is considerably better than Ceci and both are pending free agents earning a similar amount.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Maybe like Wood + Vatanen for Johnsson + Ceci + a pick (2nd)? A slight downgrade on Johnsson which saves some money, while Vatanen is considerably better than Ceci and both are pending free agents earning a similar amount.
That’s horrible for NJ... Vat could possibly get a 1st alone at the deadline especially with the way he’s been playing

Reactions: Steeler23

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Surprised to hear this. Wood hasn't been great this year, but he's one of our only aggressive/physical players. Hopefully he finds his game a bit more with Nas. It wasn't too long ago I thought he could be another Tom Wilson.

Reactions: irunthepeg

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
That’s horrible for NJ... Vat could possibly get a 1st alone at the deadline especially with the way he’s been playing

Maybe i'm overrating Johnsson relative to Wood then, make the pick a first rounder if it's that bad. Not sure of the exact value but I think Johnsson/Ceci & Wood/Vatanen work quite well as the framework of a deal when you consider all of their contract situations/cap hits and the fact we could use a more skilled winger to replace Hall once he is inevitably moved.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Maybe i'm overrating Johnsson relative to Wood then, make the pick a first rounder if it's that bad. Not sure of the exact value but I think Johnsson/Ceci & Wood/Vatanen work quite well as the framework of a deal when you consider all of their contract situations/cap hits and the fact we could use a more skilled winger to replace Hall once he is inevitably moved.
I could see Vatanen returning a Hayes like return at the deadline (1st +B prospect). The fact that there won’t be many LHD rentals will also drive the price up. So no interest whatsoever in adding him to Wood or anyone else

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
To EDM:
Tierney - 2.938 (RFA 2020)
Wood - 2.750 (RFA 2022)

To NJD:
OTT 3rd (~65th overall)

To OTT:
EDM 1st (~25th overall)
Manning - 2.250 (UFA 2020)
Gagner - 3.150 (UFA 2020)

Edmonton trades a 1st, Gagner, and Manning for Tierney and Wood. All of a sudden they have pretty good forward depth. They become a true contender after this IMO.
New Jersey trades Wood for an early 3rd, which is almost like a 2nd from a contender. Decent value.
Ottawa trades Tierney and a 3rd for a 1st, Gagner, and Manning. This allows them to send Brannstrom to the AHL. The downgrade from Tierney to Gagner gets them to move up ~40 spots in the draft. Decent value for Tierney and Ottawa sixth pick of the 2020 draft.

As a Sens and Oilers fan, I'd do this. Though I don't speak for the entirety of either fan base obviously. NJD fans seem to be OK with a 3rd, but want a 2nd. A very early 3rd seems to be a reasonable compromise.

Reactions: vancityluongo

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I could see Vatanen returning a Hayes like return at the deadline (1st +B prospect). The fact that there won’t be many LHD rentals will also drive the price up. So no interest whatsoever in adding him to Wood or anyone else

Vatanan isn't very good and he is always hurt. Add in the fact that the Hayes trade was pretty awful on Winnipeg's end. Be surprised if it was much more than a 2nd

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Vatanan isn't very good and he is always hurt. Add in the fact that the Hayes trade was pretty awful on Winnipeg's end. Be surprised if it was much more than a 2nd

He's been pretty good this year, though the injuries are a concern. I don't think that he's getting a Hayes like return, but I absolutely wouldn't be shocked if Vats gets a 1st at the deadline. It's fluid though. Depends on what is out there, who has needs, etc.

Reactions: bigdog16

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Habs could use a winger like Wood but i'm sure the same could be said for almost every team in the league.

Speed + versatile + strong, good combo to have in todays game. Dunno why NJ would move him (unless he wants out), he could play anywhere in their lineup.

Reactions: Vachon23

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Habs could use a winger like Wood but i'm sure the same could be said for almost every team in the league.

Speed + versatile + strong, good combo to have in todays game. Dunno why NJ would move him (unless he wants out), he could play anywhere in their lineup.

Because he makes too much money to be not good at hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad