Confirmed with Link: Milbury Steps Down For Remainder of Playoffs

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
There's an awful lot of men in here sharing their opinions about why the comment, which was about women, wasn't problematic and that PC/Cancel culture has taken over.

I'd suggest more listening as to why the comment was problematic, even if it wasn't necessarily offensive. Given the membership here is vastly men, and given the demographics of hockey fans, vastly white...when it comes to issues like this, HF is basically an echo chamber.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
There's an awful lot of men in here sharing their opinions about why the comment, which was about women, wasn't problematic and that PC/Cancel culture has taken over.

I'd suggest more listening as to why the comment was problematic, even if it wasn't necessarily offensive. Given the membership here is vastly men, and given the demographics of hockey fans, vastly white...when it comes to issues like this, HF is basically an echo chamber.

I took it as a lame joke gone bad. Do you think Milbury had any intent to harm women with his comment? He's a horses ass that tried to be funny. If he had any blatant ill will towards women with the comment I would have been all over him, but maybe I'm out to lunch on the whole thing, not sure, half the things I read it was a comment vs the players, another half a comment vs women.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I took it as a lame joke gone bad. Do you think Milbury had any intent to harm women with his comment? He's a horses ass that tried to be funny. If he had any blatant ill will towards women with the comment I would have been all over him, but maybe I'm out to lunch on the whole thing, not sure.

As I've stated, I was not personally offended by the comment. I understand the point Milbury was trying to make. He's an idiot, but we know this.

As I've also stated, I understand why the comment is problematic, and I've shared my reasoning in prior posts.

I just think it's interesting that there's 6 pages of conversation here from mostly men who are discussing a comment and saying how the outcome was an overreaction.

I don't pretend to understand what it's like to be black in this country. When black people share their experiences, I listen. I don't tell them their experience/opinion is wrong, try to downplay it, or make claims about the PC Police or Cancel Culture.

Not all women feel the way I do, and I understand and respect that. To your question about do I think Milbury had any intent to harm women? No, I don't think there was malicious intent. Sometimes things that are said in jest, or without malice, still shouldn't be said...and that's the bottom line here for me.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As I've stated, I was not personally offended by the comment. I understand the point Milbury was trying to make. He's an idiot, but we know this.

As I've also stated, I understand why the comment is problematic, and I've shared my reasoning in prior posts.

I just think it's interesting that there's 6 pages of conversation here from mostly men who are discussing a comment and saying how the outcome was an overreaction.

I don't pretend to understand what it's like to be black in this country. When black people share their experiences, I listen. I don't tell them their experience/opinion is wrong, try to downplay it, or make claims about the PC Police or Cancel Culture.

Not all women feel the way I do, and I understand and respect that. To your question about do I think Milbury had any intent to harm women? No, I don't think there was malicious intent. Sometimes things that are said in jest, or without malice, still shouldn't be said...and that's the bottom line here for me.

I agree I’m not here to tell people what should offend and what shouldn’t. My issue the penalties and pressure for him to leave the playoffs. That’s my problem.

I agree about other races as well and every story needs to be heard and met with empathy and the willingness to make sure all people are treated equal. It’s not ok. We all bleed the same.

As for men or white men, there are clearly two sets of rules in society for white men and every other walk of life. Hey, could be deservedly so, but I’m not a fan of the one strike and you’re out brand of Justice this country seems more than ok with. I certainly get where it comes from, most of these reputations were deserved, but sometimes a person who has lived a good life makes a mistake with a word or a thought and that’s it...case closed, done, finished. No apology accepted, you lose.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I respect your opinion, entirely, but as I always ask my kids when situations like this crop up:

What do you say to the people who are supposed to be offended (in this case women) but aren't?

I truly understand that my not being a woman discounts any opinion that I might have on this particular event and I'm supposed to put myself in the shoes of those that are offended.

Given that, can I also put myself in the shoes of those that are among the group that should be offended but aren't?

My sister in law for example, watches every Bruins game with my brother and nephew -- she posted on FB the other day how dumb it is for Milbury to have to step down.

Am I only supposed to take the opinion of certain women seriously?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here -- just pointing out something that I've been trying to teach my teenagers for a few years.

There are 330 million or so people in this country. Pick almost any topic and you'll have men, women, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, tall and small on both sides of the argument.

We all develop opinions based on (hopefully) what is logical to us given our experiences and conversations/interactions we have with others.

My experience as a white kid growing up in the inner city is vastly different than my kids who grew up in a predominantly white suburb.

It doesn't make my opinions on certain matters more valid than theirs, but they are certainly different.

And it doesn't mean that something that might feel uncomfortable or be uncomfortable to say isn't true.

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I respect your opinion, entirely, but as I always ask my kids when situations like this crop up:

What do you say to the people who are supposed to be offended (in this case women) but aren't?

I truly understand that my not being a woman discounts any opinion that I might have on this particular event and I'm supposed to put myself in the shoes of those that are offended.

Given that, can I also put myself in the shoes of those that are among the group that should be offended but aren't?

My sister in law for example, watches every Bruins game with my brother and nephew -- she posted on FB the other day how dumb it is for Milbury to have to step down.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here -- just pointing out something that I've been trying to teach my teenagers for a few years.

There are 330 million of so people in this country. Pick almost any topic and you'll have men, women, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, tall and small on both sides of the argument.

We all develop opinions based on (hopefully) what is logical to us given our experiences and conversations/interactions we have with others.

My experience as a white kid growing up in the inner city is vastly different than my kids who grew up in a predominantly white suburb.

It doesn't make my opinions on certain matters more valid than theirs, but they are certainly different.

And it doesn't mean that something that might feel uncomfortable or be uncomfortable to say isn't true.

Sarge, I completely get it, and I actually agree with you, and your sister in law.

It IS dumb that he had to leave because of the comment. However, it also IS dumb that he made it. They aren't mutually exclusive.

What did that comment add to the broadcast? Or, what did he intend to have it add to the broadcast? I don't believe he went into the broadcast thinking "hhhhmmmm how can I piss off and marginalize women today?". That doesn't take away from the fact that it was a dumb thing to say. When we do or say dumb things, we all have to deal with the consequences. By just brushing it off and saying "just Mike being Mike" or "just boys being boys"...it perpetuates the problem.

My point isn't so much about one person's opinion being more valid than another's based on their race or gender, it's that instead of continuing to surround ourselves with like-minded voices and people, we need to stop and listen to those that have different experiences and opinions...especially those whose lived experience may be different than our own.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Sarge, I completely get it, and I actually agree with you, and your sister in law.

It IS dumb that he had to leave because of the comment. However, it also IS dumb that he made it. They aren't mutually exclusive.

What did that comment add to the broadcast? Or, what did he intend to have it add to the broadcast? I don't believe he went into the broadcast thinking "hhhhmmmm how can I piss off and marginalize women today?". That doesn't take away from the fact that it was a dumb thing to say. When we do or say dumb things, we all have to deal with the consequences. By just brushing it off and saying "just Mike being Mike" or "just boys being boys"...it perpetuates the problem.

My point isn't so much about one person's opinion being more valid than another's based on their race or gender, it's that instead of continuing to surround ourselves with like-minded voices and people, we need to stop and listen to those that have different experiences and opinions...especially those whose lived experience may be different than our own.
Thanks Kate for adding a fresh perspective to the conversation.

It was sorely needed.

Reactions: Kate08

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I agree I’m not here to tell people what should offend and what shouldn’t. My issue the penalties and pressure for him to leave the playoffs. That’s my problem.

I agree about other races as well and every story needs to be heard and met with empathy and the willingness to make sure all people are treated equal. It’s not ok. We all bleed the same.

As for men or white men, there are clearly two sets of rules in society for white men and every other walk of life. Hey, could be deservedly so, but I’m not a fan of the one strike and you’re out brand of Justice this country seems more than ok with. I certainly get where it comes from, most of these reputations were deserved, but sometimes a person who has lived a good life makes a mistake with a word or a thought and that’s it...case closed, done, finished. No apology accepted, you lose.
Right. I agree that, as is so often the case nowadays, the punishment is swift, permanent, and often, more severe than the crime. That’s the big issue with me.

Dumb thing for Milbury to have said? Yes.
Should he have been canceled for it? By itself, I would say no; when stacked up with all his other comments, maybe punished, but not canceled.

Everybody says and does stupid things. People aren’t prefect.

When one thinks about it, there’s always someone, somewhere who will be offended by what someone else has said and/or done.

I think people everywhere need to carefully think about living in a society where people become so self-aware that paralysis sets in and freedom of thought and expression, for everyone, eventually dies at our own hands.

It has happened before; it is happening in certain places in this world, and it can happen here.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Right. I agree that, as is so often the case nowadays, the punishment is swift, permanent, and often, more severe than the crime. That’s the big issue with me.

Dumb thing for Milbury to have said? Yes.
Should he have been canceled for it? By itself, I would say no; when stacked up with all his other comments, maybe punished, but not canceled.

Everybody says and does stupid things. People aren’t prefect.

When one thinks about it, there’s always someone, somewhere who will be offended by what someone else has said and/or done.

I think people everywhere need to carefully think about living in a society where people become so self-aware that paralysis sets in and freedom of thought and expression, for everyone, eventually dies at our own hands.

It has happened before; it is happening in certain places in this world, and it can happen here.

Or maybe, just maybe, this final incident was the last straw and NBC is just using this as leverage to dump him and correct a problem they should have corrected a long time ago. Who wouldn't? This whole playoffs he's been grumpy, disengaged, can't be bothered to identify players correctly and he seemed more than a little 'off'. I'd go as far as to categorize his preparation and effort during this tournament as unprofessional and an embarrasment. There were lots of people who noticed, you could even hear Forslund chuckle at some of the weird shit he was saying.

When someone hurts your product/brand you let him go. I sure as hell haven't missed him since he's been gone. If you think this has something to do with 'cancel culture' that's on you. They gave him the 'resign or be fired option' and he showed himself the door.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
While I don't think what he said is all that bad, I also recognize that I'm not the target demo that is most likely to be upset about the comment. So I don't wanna say that my opinion doesn't count...but it doesn't count. It's not up to me to tell someone else how they should feel.

If they're using this as the last straw with Milbury then it makes a lot of sense. I know a lot of people don't care for the job he does. I actually don't mind him most of the time but I may be the minority there as well.

Reactions: JCRO

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Or maybe, just maybe, this final incident was the last straw and NBC is just using this as leverage to dump him and correct a problem they should have corrected a long time ago. Who wouldn't? This whole playoffs he's been grumpy, disengaged, can't be bothered to identify players correctly and he seemed more than a little 'off'. I'd go as far as to categorize his preparation and effort during this tournament as unprofessional and an embarrassment to the profession. There were lots of people who noticed, you could even hear Forslund chuckle at some of the weird shit he was saying.

When someone hurts your product/brand you let him go. I sure as hell haven't missed him since he's been gone. If you think this has something to do with 'cancel culture' that's on you, they gave him the 'resign or be fired option' and he showed himself the door.
Despite my post, I pretty much agree when it comes to Milbury, specifically. In other threads in recent years, I’ve described him as moronic. Difficult defendant, no doubt. He’s had quite a few chances.

However, I do still think that we should, as a society, keep close tabs on how often, and how severely, we wield this sword, lest we accidentally fall upon it ourselves.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Or maybe, just maybe, this final incident was the last straw and NBC is just using this as leverage to dump him and correct a problem they should have corrected a long time ago. Who wouldn't? This whole playoffs he's been grumpy, disengaged, can't be bothered to identify players correctly and he seemed more than a little 'off'. I'd go as far as to categorize his preparation and effort during this tournament as unprofessional and an embarrassment to the profession. There were lots of people who noticed, you could even hear Forslund chuckle at some of the weird shit he was saying.

When someone hurts your product/brand you let him go. I sure as hell haven't missed him since he's been gone. If you think this has something to do with 'cancel culture' that's on you. They gave him the 'resign or be fired option' and he showed himself the door.

Had nbc had issue with it theybwould have yanked him immediately or fired him after the game. It wasn’t until the reactionaries at NBC read the twitter mob things hit the fan with him. Networks love these types of meatheads like Milbury always keeps them in the news.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Here's the problem.

If you think the comment was about women, offense could be taken.

But it wasn't. It was about men.

And again, it was not commentary, it was a joke.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Or maybe, just maybe, this final incident was the last straw and NBC is just using this as leverage to dump him and correct a problem they should have corrected a long time ago. Who wouldn't? This whole playoffs he's been grumpy, disengaged, can't be bothered to identify players correctly and he seemed more than a little 'off'. I'd go as far as to categorize his preparation and effort during this tournament as unprofessional and an embarrassing. There were lots of people who noticed, you could even hear Forslund chuckle at some of the weird shit he was saying.

I rarely pay much attention to the broadcasters - I'm just not built to listen intently AND watch the game at the same time, and I prefer to watch - but even I noticed that Milbury just didn't sound like he was enjoying himself or the game during the playoffs. Perhaps bubble life got to him. Perhaps other stuff. I know he's predisposed to be the grumpy old uncle, and maybe I didn't notice the magnitude before, but it really seems to have ramped up during the playoffs.

Contrast that to Jack Edwards. I know he gets a lot of flack here, and he's said a lot of stupid stuff too. He goes over the top sometimes - or most of the time. But Jack. Loves. Hockey. And when you have a product to sell - that helps.

I think if you replace "women" with "staying out late at night at bars" in Milbury's comment, you'd get a less controversial, and perhaps more accurate, picture of how bubble life can affect a player's performance. What he actually said certainly wasn't the worst thing he could have said, but it's something that could easily be misinterpreted. When your job involves public speaking, thinking about what you say BEFORE you say it comes with the job.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Here's the problem.

I also wanted to add that if a female analyst cracked a joke about men I wouldn't bat an eye. Perhaps my only thought would be where is the outrage because I can guarantee you there wouldn't be any. So as I said before, everyone can lighten the f*** up. I'm not here to say that women haven't had to fight harder than men to get into the hockey profession and they probably don't get paid as much. I'm all for those causes. None of that is impacted by a joke Mike freakin Milbury said. There are plenty of women who have broken into the industry and those numbers are only going to increase as time goes on. That's my issue here. We can all stop pretending that this comment has any bearing on women getting into the industry and doing well in it. Finally, have we heard from any women that work with Milbury or have worked with him in the past? I would be very interested to hear what they have to say in regard to how Milbury has treated them. The fact we haven't heard a peep I am going to assume he hasn't had any issues with women in the profession. Maybe I am wrong.

Reactions: minpind

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

There are 330 million or so people in this country. Pick almost any topic and you'll have men, women, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, gay, straight, tall and small on both sides of the argument.

Great post

Reactions: minpind

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Here's the problem.

yep. You say the sky is blue and some people would be (or pretend to be) offended.

saw this coming a long time ago, just didn’t think us as a people would let it get this far. This is just a small example. There’s people out there who’s life goal is to ruin other people’s lives because they say mean words or jokes they deem offensive.

the new buzz phrase seems to be “you can’t tell someone what they’re offended by”

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Milbury grew up in an era where the subject of athletes (notably, boxers) avoiding sexual relations before big fights was a common, and basically non-controversial topic of discussion. I certainly remember the topic being discussed without fanfare.

Not defending him b/c it was incumbent upon him to realize it’s not 1976 anymore, but it probably came from some such recess of his mind.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
yep. You say the sky is blue and some people would be (or pretend to be) offended.

saw this coming a long time ago, just didn’t think us as a people would let it get this far. This is just a small example. There’s people out there who’s life goal is to ruin other people’s lives because they say mean words or jokes they deem offensive.

the new buzz phrase seems to be “you can’t tell someone what they’re offended by”

I personally don't think you can tell people what they can or can't be offended by. Offense happens, that's life. If we lost our job every time we unintentionally offended someone we all would be ten jobs in. Being offended, to me, is not the same as someone bullying you, being racist to you, being demeaning to you...being dismissive to your feelings....those things, you gotta go, sorry, no place in the workplace or life for those kinds of people that try to intentionally inflict harm on you. I've been ignorant in my life. People have been ignorant to me as well. None of it ever came from a bad place, or intentionally trying to be hurtful....either side...Ignorant people shouldn't suffer the same fate IMO as the cold blooded calculated mean spirited people of the world...Now, you should try to improve on your ignorance, for sure. You should however respect someone saying they are offended, if you are doing something that offends them, stop it.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
I think if you replace "women" with "staying out late at night at bars" in Milbury's comment, you'd get a less controversial, and perhaps more accurate, picture of how bubble life can affect a player's performance. What he actually said certainly wasn't the worst thing he could have said, but it's something that could easily be misinterpreted. When your job involves public speaking, thinking about what you say BEFORE you say it comes with the job.

Everybody knows that this is what Milbury is talking about, it has nothing to do with female reporters or female hockey players but that doesn't fit the "agenda"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad