Player Discussion Milan Lucic (Trial date 2/16)- Charges DROPPED-will NOT return this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As we continue the discussion of this player, please take a moment to refresh yourselves with a few of our forum guidelines.

Keep in mind you agreed to abide by these guidelines when you signed up for the site.

Thanks.

Flaming: Critique the opinion, not the person. Personal attacks against members are not permitted. Report flaming, do not respond to it. Counter-flaming is also prohibited.

Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.

Spamming: Posts that advertise anything without the authorization of site Administrators may be considered “spam”. If you wish to advertise on HFBoards please contact [email protected]. No money leagues are allowed in the Fantasy Talk forum. Do not post the same content multiple times, whether on the same forum, or across multiple forums.

Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
What's the point of a not guilty plea? Is it moreso just a normal part of the process rather than him actually denying doing anything?
Generally, yes.
Defendants are encouraged to plea Not Guilty, this allows both sides to work on a solution.
Whereas a Guilty plea would not allow that and simply leave it to the state to pass down
a sentence.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on that for MA. That is how I know it to be.

So the pretrial isn’t until January 19 ? So even if Lucic is found to be innocent after all this is it safe to see it is extremely unlikely he will play again for the Bruins this year?
Unless charges are dropped by the victim and the state both(unlikely IMO that the state will drop the charges) then no, he would not likely be in a B's uniform until this is resolved completely.

I would be surprised if we see him play another game this season in the NHL regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Generally, yes.
Defendants are encouraged to plea Not Guilty, this allows both sides to work on a solution.
Where-as a Guilty please would not allow that and simply leave it to the state to pass down
a sentence.

This is correct and how it was explained to me in each of my paralegal courses

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Generally, yes.
Where-as a Guilty please would not allow that and simply leave it to the state to pass down
a sentence.

Unless charges are dropped by the victim and the state both(unlikely IMO that the state will drop the charges) then no, he would not likely be in a B's uniform until this is resolved completely.

I would be surprised if we see him play another game this season in the NHL regardless of the outcome.
If the Bruins were to terminate his contract I suppose it still would go against the cap?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If the Bruins were to terminate his contract I suppose it still would go against the cap?
Would need someone with more knowledge to answer this with certainty:

I *assume* that if the contract is a full termination due to legal reasons by the player the club would not be held responsible cap-wise beyond the time of termination.

The question remains though, if and *when* Boston can and would be able to do that. Of which I am also ignorant of. I am sure this is more PA side than NHL since the club immediately announced he would not be with the team indefinitely.

Do the Bruins have enough cause to terminate his contract now so they can bank space? With the PA allow that? How would that look from a PR perspective?
How long do they wait? At what point can they act? At what point will they stand by Lucic until they need his cap space?

These are all questions that I don't think we will get answers to anytime soon. Unless the team, the NHL, and the PA are all on the same page for them to do it now. Which would surprise me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I believe in Milan Lucic.
Reminds me of a song by Don Williams on what do you believe in

I don't believe in superstars
Organic food and foreign cars
I don't believe the price of gold
The certainty of growing old
That right is right and left is wrong
That north and south can't get along
That east is east and west is west
And being first is always best

But I believe in love, I believe in babies
I believe in mom and dad, and I believe in you

Well I don't believe that heaven waits
For only those who congregate
I like to think of God as love
He's down below, He's up above
He's watching people everywhere
He knows who does and doesn't care
And I'm an ordinary man
Sometimes I wonder who I am

But I believe in love, I believe in music
I believe in magic, and I believe in you

I know with all my certainty what's goin'
With you and me is a good thing
It's true, I believe in you

I don't believe virginity
Is as common as it used to be
In working days and sleeping nights
That black is black and white is white
That Superman and Robin Hood
Are still alive in Hollywood
That gasoline's in short supply
The rising cost of getting by

But I believe in love, I believe in old folks
I believe in children, I believe in you

I believe in love, I believe in babies
I believe in mom and dad
And I believe in you

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Seeing Looch today in court was sad and infuriating at the same time. I feel for his family and its sad that one of my favorite players is now in this situation. Sucks all around. The Bruins should terminate his contract and Looch should get the help he needs as does his wife and kids.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
stomach sick from reading the details. Hope his wife and kids are ok, terribly sad way to essentially finish a career

I don't think his career is finished. I'll wait til everything is settled and see if he needs any assistance and what happens with this case.

Evander Kane.
Auston Watson.

Etc still play in the NHL.

The Patrick Roy situation

Different situations. Some the same.

Just got to wait and see.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't think his career is finished. I'll wait til everything is settled and see if he needs any assistance and what happens with this case.

Evander Kane.
Auston Watson.

Etc still play in the NHL.

The Patrick Roy situation

Different situations. Some the same.

Just got to wait and see.
Lucic is also 35 years old, though.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I will withhold my own judgement until all the facts come out. I wish the best for Milan, his wife and his kids so that they all come out of this and move on with what is best for all of them in the short and long term.

Sucks to see one of my fav Bruins to watch from the start to the end of his career go through this.

But his career as an NHL/Bruins player takes a back seat right now and should be a very distant second thought, and really matters NOT AT ALL compared to what they as a family and as human beings are going through.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I will withhold my own judgement until all the facts come out. I wish the best for Milan, his wife and his kids so that they all come out of this and move on with what is best for all of them in the short and long term.

Sucks to see one of my fav Bruins to watch from the start to the end of his career go through this.

But his career as an NHL/Bruins player takes a back seat right now and should be a very distant second thought, and really matters NOT AT ALL compared to what they as a family and as human beings are going through.
Unfortunately though not playing being away from the rink has to be difficult also,idle hands .

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Lucic is also 35 years old, though.

Yes, it likely this is the end of the line professionally. I suppose if he does what he needs to and is able to come back for another kick at it, someone might take on a league minimum, but it's hard to see it with all the competition for bottom 6 roles out there from players that don't have the baggage.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I recall vividly fans reactions here when the B`s signed Joe Corvo a few years back for an incident also involving a woman, be interested to see if those who screamed in disgust about the Corvo signing do the same if Looch is found guilty here

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I have stayed away from this thread till court appearance.My take is unless the wife is charging him this should be dismissed.If she don't testify against him is it really worth pursuing it on crowns part? And I am aware they can charge him without her but they don't have much without her testimony with him pleading not guilty.

In this hypothetical where his wife doesn't want to charge and doesn't corroborate the original story, is that enough for you to welcome him back onto the team no other questions asked?

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I have stayed away from this thread till court appearance.My take is unless the wife is charging him this should be dismissed.If she don't testify against him is it really worth pursuing it on crowns part? And I am aware they can charge him without her but they don't have much without her testimony with him pleading not guilty.
Would they need her to testify couldn’t they just use her previous statements,they should because unfortunately in a lot of domestic situations the wife’s do change their initial statements.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ok,
closing it until there is pertinent information. Either the court case in January or if the Bruins Organization does something.
Seems nothing else to discuss right now.
Thanks.

oh, one more thing, dont bring it to other threads. That wont end well.

IMG_0892.gif

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Milan Lucic’s future as a Bruin, truly of minor relevance at this hour, is officially in limbo.
The big winger’s life, times, and future as a hockey player right now are in the hands of the Commonwealth’s court system, following his alleged assault of wife Brittany early Saturday morning at their Battery Street condominium in the North End.
Unofficially, Lucic’s career as a Bruin should be finished. Thankfully, that’s how things are now.
And OK, yes, there is an ounce of regret in writing that, because the 35-year-old Lucic has proved over half his lifetime to be a smart, decent, thoughtful guy since arriving here at age 18 all full of energy, fun, smiles, and big league dreams. We all make mistakes, and likewise we all need to be careful about judging people by their worst moments.

Lucic, just hours after appearing in court, entered the Player Assistance Program operated by the league and the NHL Players’ Association. Players who enter often do so for alcohol and/or substance-related issues.

“The Boston Bruins have been in communication with the Lucic family, offering our support and assistance,” the team noted in an early evening media release. “The organization is supportive of Milan’s decision to enter the NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance program. He remains on an indefinite leave of absence from the team. With respect to both his ongoing rehabilitation and the legal process, we will have no further comment at this time.”

Domestic violence, still too common in our society as well as throughout the world, must not be tolerated. Doing physical and/or emotional harm to a spouse is the third rail that burns reputations and renders careers to ash.

No sports franchise, professional or otherwise, should tolerate domestic violence. That’s been mostly true for years now, and should have been true decades earlier, in fact forever, though it took much of the 20th century — and a whole lot of suffering, pain, and in some instances death — for female victims to be taken at their word and then supported for having the courage finally to say, “Enough!”

What we can ascertain, per portions of the police report that were read into the record at Lucic’s court hearing Tuesday, is that he and his wife got into an argument around 1 a.m., after he returned home from a night out. During the argument, Lucic allegedly yanked his wife’s hair and threatened to choke her, his ire initially sparked by his inability to locate his phone and belief that she was hiding it.

The facts here per the police report, much of it based on what Brittany Lucic told police in the moments around her husband’s arrest, point to the 6-foot-3-inch, 236-pound Lucic, still among the NHL’s most feared fighters, physically imposing his will and anger on a woman believed to be some 8 inches shorter and roughly 100 pounds lighter.

That’s not a place any woman of right mind would care to be. Many men of near-equal size, strong NHLers who know how to throw punches, have found Lucic too much to handle.

As for the perpetrator, in this case the behemoth Lucic, with 143 fights on his NHL record, it’s not a place he ever should have gone.

“You’re not going anywhere,” Lucic allegedly told his wife as she attempted to walk away from their argument. That is when he grabbed her by the hair, according to the report.

“You’re not going anywhere.” Like words from a horror movie. Trapped. Vulnerable. Prey.

Per the report, Lucic appeared to be inebriated when police entered the condo. There was a broken lamp aside a nightstand. Brittany, per the report, had a red mark on her chest.

So we are left to piece together — unless less incriminating facts are revealed — that Lucic roughed up his much smaller wife, the mother of his three children (ages 5, 7, 10), and was not of his right mind because of apparent intoxication. That’s a very old, familiar story. Being three sheets to the wind once sailed as an excuse in domestic violence cases, but not anymore.

A change in facts, or Brittany Lucic recanting what she told police, could take all this dramatically in another direction. It’s common, after the flashing blue lights and handcuffs go away, the emotion shakes out, and especially when the lawyers and courts and media get involved, that DV cases quietly get dismissed.

For now, this ultimately looks like it will be easy, if not vital for a reputation standpoint, for the Bruins to walk from Lucic, cut him free. He arrived here in July, on a one-year free agent deal ($1 million), hired as proven muscle, someone to have on the bench come playoff time if, say, someone such as Florida’s Matthew Tkachuk needed the flame under his game dialed down a bit. Lucic’s game otherwise is of little help in the NHL’s free-skating regular season.

This blemish makes Lucic not worth the trouble, especially for a franchise that just over a year ago created its own mess when signing the societal hazard site that was Mitchell Miller. That was an ill-conceived and confounding signing. A year later, we are still asking, what were they thinking?

In Lucic’s case, bringing him back was a decent, well-intended move by management. He was a huge fan favorite his first time around, making the team as a rambunctious, steel-jawed kid straight out of junior, going on to sign contracts worth some $72 million. He was afforded a great chance to come back home, potentially win a Stanley Cup, be a hero again as he walked among pals, pastas, and pastries in the North End.

Done right, who knows, Lucic could have positioned himself to stick around Boston in retirement, walk the streets for years as a favorite son of the Black and Gold, and enjoy the protracted fruits of his extended, honest, hard-hatted NHL labor.

Instead, today Milan Lucic is another accused DV perpetrator with a wife and three children now all subject to the courts sorting out and directing their lives and well-being. All because he led his wife to reach for the phone, dial 911, and essentially say, “Enough!”

Now it’s up to the Bruins to say the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad