Mikko Rantanen Part V - Baby Come Back

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Sakic wanted to wait it out for the comps, and right now the comps are either high $ in Marner, or a bridge deal, and he doesn't seem to want either of those. He's got to figure this out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's going to be a three-year deal for Point and the Avs aren't doing that so he's likely not a comparable in negotiations. Maybe another one being done could put some more pressure on one or both sides but that's about it.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
It's going to be a three-year deal for Point and the Avs aren't doing that so he's likely not a comparable in negotiations. Maybe another one being done could put some more pressure on one or both sides but that's about it.
At this point a 3y bridge for Mikko isn't the worst of ideas - better than let him sit because both sides are stubborn. Something like 3years 25mil with a 10m QO at the end should be enough to get it done ... i guess.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At this point a 3y bridge for Mikko isn't the worst of ideas - better than let him sit because both sides are stubborn. Something like 3years 25mil with a 10m QO at the end should be enough to get it done.

That is essentially saying that either Rants get traded in 3 seasons, walks in 4, or gets UFA money and a ~13-14m per contract in 3. If you're going all in and spending to the cap the next 3 seasons as this is THE window, it makes sense. If you're hoping for this to continue 5-6++ years, it completely sinks that idea.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs and cgf

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
At this point a 3y bridge for Mikko isn't the worst of ideas - better than let him sit because both sides are stubborn. Something like 3years 25mil with a 10m QO at the end should be enough to get it done ... i guess.

Maybe not THE worst outcome but it's close. At the end of it he can just take that massive QO and go straight to UFA or you have to give him a raise right before you have to give MacKinnon a blank check. IMO, a three-year bridge deal shouldn't be an option.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
That is essentially saying that either Rants get traded in 3 seasons, walks in 4, or gets UFA money and a ~13-14m per contract in 3. If you're going all in and spending to the cap the next 3 seasons as this is THE window, it makes sense. If you're hoping for this to continue 5-6++ years, it completely sinks that idea.
Sure. But at this point does it really makes a difference if he stays 4 or 5 years? And for Mikko to become a 13mil player the cap has to go up by at least 10-12mil in the next 4 years to make it even possible for him to find a team that can actually pay him that salary. Please stop throwing those numbers around when nobody really knows what the numbers are 2023. Escrow says "Hello".

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe not THE worst outcome but it's close. At the end of it he can just take that massive QO and go straight to UFA or you have to give him a raise right before you have to give MacKinnon a blank check. IMO, a three-year bridge deal shouldn't be an option.

Yup... at the end of the bridge, if you wanna keep Mikko and MacK, you're looking straight at 28-30m between them. If the Avs can't get 6 or more years out of Mikko here, they need to push all the chips to the middle of the table right now.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
It's up to Mikko what he decides to do. And that's fine. If Joe can't squeeze out a 6th year it really doesn't matter.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sure. But at this point does it really makes a difference if he stays 4 or 5 years? And for Mikko to become a 13mil player the cap has to go up by at least 10-12mil in the next 4 years to make it even possible for him to find a team that can actually pay him that salary. Please stop throwing those numbers around when nobody really knows what the numbers are 2023. Escrow says "Hello".
As a UFA, he's better than Panarin right now. He could get 12 easily on the open market. 13, would be less than I expect in 4 years.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Yup... at the end of the bridge, if you wanna keep Mikko and MacK, you're looking straight at 28-30m between them. If the Avs can't get 6 or more years out of Mikko here, they need to push all the chips to the middle of the table right now.
And quite honestly it's the best they can do. We have a window of 4 years before we potentially lose one of them. That's just a fact. So it's now or never.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Near 0 chance the Avs go all-in in the next 3 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And quite honestly it's the best they can do. We have a window of 4 years before we potentially lose one of them. That's just a fact. So it's now or never.

Which I'm fine with, if the Avs recognize that and do everything they can to win now.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Any deal under 5 years completely f***s our window up honestly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Again, you also have to find a team with enough cap space to give him that 13M AAV. That could get tricky with the way RFA years are getting paid now.

For elite talents, teams find a way to pay. It is less than 1.5m than what Panarin has now (he also got offered more than he got), and Rants is a better player.

Near 0 chance the Avs go all-in in the next 3 years.

This is my fear with bridging or even up to 5 years with Rants.

Reactions: cgf

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
So if Point gets done, Liut is representing two of the remaining, high profile, unsigned RFAs. He was able to get a deal done for Boesser, but it was only a bridge deal of three years.

Looks like a 3 year $6.75 million AAV deal for Point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Any deal under 5 years completely ****s our window up honestly.

I wouldn't say that, I'd say that it eliminates a chance at a second window after MacK's deal is allowed to normalize a bit under the cap. The current window is open and stays open with a 3 or 4 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad