Prospect Info: Mikko Rantanen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I could see them taking a similar approach to Rantanen as they did with mackinnon in his rookie season. Start him in a sheltered role on the 3rd line and feed him some pp minutes until he gets comfortable enough to take on larger responsibilities and then surround him with a really solid linemate like landeskog to help cover for him defensively until things start to click for him

iirc, injuries were also an factor for mackinnon being bumped up the depth chart. along with downie for talbot trade.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
iirc, injuries were also an factor for mackinnon being bumped up the depth chart. along with downie for talbot trade.

That could very well be the case. I certainly wouldn't pencil rantanen into the top 6. He will have to earn it, and with the linemates he will have in the bottom 6, that could prove to be a difficult task, although I suppose injuries could give him an opportunity to take on a larger role as well

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
if mack and duchene play both C, we have only one legit top 6 winger. landeskog. i'm not counting colborne as one yet. and even if he does, there are still two spots open.

if he can pot 40 points this season, he should earn top 6 role sooner rather than later.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
all the rookies who scored 40 or more points at 20 or younger since 09. some good names on this list, though there are 2 dman.

Jamie Benn
Filip Forsberg
Gabriel Landeskog
Nathan MacKinnon
Tyler Myers
Jeff Skinner
Derek Stepan
Max Domi
Matt Duchene
Anthony Duclair
Jack Eichel
Dylan Larkin
Sam Reinhart
Cam Fowler
John Tavares
Jordan Eberle
Taylor Hall
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Connor McDavid

Lol, man did Myers peak early

I don't think Rantanen would look out of place on that list in a few years

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I know this is over the top hyping but would it be too much away from reality if all goes like a dream and Rantanen scores 50-60 points as a rookie and kinda converts his AHL season into NHL level?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know this is over the top hyping but would it be too much away from reality if all goes like a dream and Rantanen scores 50-60 points as a rookie and kinda converts his AHL season into NHL level?

He'd need to really hit the ground running. There's not much adjustment time if he's going to get that kind of production.

I think he may finish the season at that pace, but won't have it towards the beginning of the year.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I find it rather disappointing not seeing Rantanen in the World Cup. He never had a real chance of proving he belongs in the WHC, and that kind of was the end of conversation. But hey, atleast we have J.Jokinen in the first line, what a treat! Nevermind that the guy is already running on flat tires.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mikko was running for the Calder when all is said and done. This guy is so criminally underrated around here that it should be fun re-visiting some old threads about him during and after the season.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What's best for him right now is to be in Colorado for camp and preseason. I'm sure Finland would just have him sitting around wasting his time for the most part for two weeks. So to that extent they can have him when they'll really use him.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
if mack and duchene play both C, we have only one legit top 6 winger. landeskog. i'm not counting colborne as one yet. and even if he does, there are still two spots open.

if he can pot 40 points this season, he should earn top 6 role sooner rather than later.

As a joke Soderberg was brought in to "replace" ROR but he cannot be replaced actually by him BUT why isnt Soda played like ror would be played if he was on the team? Mac and duch centers and soda top 6 playmaking winger or duchene goal scoring rw and soda 2c

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As a joke Soderberg was brought in to "replace" ROR but he cannot be replaced actually by him BUT why isnt Soda played like ror would be played if he was on the team? Mac and duch centers and soda top 6 playmaking winger or duchene goal scoring rw and soda 2c

Soda makes almost $3m less than ROR. He was never expected to be a direct replacement. He was just supposed to be the guy that kept Mitchell or Grigirenko from having to fill the 3C role. If we move Soda up, who takes that spot? I have much more faith guys like Colborne and Grigorenko could be quality complementary wingers than play driving centers.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

You might see Soda on the wing, who knows with Bednar. Soda has experience at LW I believe.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In the small times Soda has played wing, I don't think he was real effective. If anybody moves to wing it should be Duchene, but I don't think Duchene would be happy there long term. I also don't think the Avs would have a good enough #3C to even move Duchene to wing. Maybe Compher during the middle of the season when he has gotten his feet wet and found his scoring touch.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
In the small times Soda has played wing, I don't think he was real effective. If anybody moves to wing it should be Duchene, but I don't think Duchene would be happy there long term. I also don't think the Avs would have a good enough #3C to even move Duchene to wing. Maybe Compher during the middle of the season when he has gotten his feet wet and found his scoring touch.

He was never effective on the wing, mostly due to his eye, it really hinders him there.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He was never effective on the wing, mostly due to his eye, it really hinders him there.
I don't get this. I don't know which eye he has problem with but let say it the right one. Wouldn't he see the ice even better on the right wing instead of at C? I get the other wing obviously but I just don't understand why he plays better at C because of his eye. Anybody can explain this to me?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't get this. I don't know which eye he has problem with but let say it the right one. Wouldn't he see the ice even better on the right wing instead of at C? I get the other wing obviously but I just don't understand why he plays better at C because of his eye. Anybody can explain this to me?

Soda's bad eye is his left.

The difference between center and wing is more about being on the boards and being able to protect yourself better. Just being on the wing means you have more of a tendency to be on the boards and digging out the puck... and more of a chance you can be hit from either side. Yeah some of that still happens at center, but he usually isn't first in the battle and can position his body better.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

The difference between center and wing is more about being on the boards and being able to protect yourself better. Just being on the wing means you have more of a tendency to be on the boards and digging out the puck... and more of a chance you can be hit from either side. Yeah some of that still happens at center, but he usually isn't first in the battle and can position his body better.

Seconded.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

OK I'll buy that. Being on RW he can't see the ice very well. Being on LW he can't see the board so I guess he would look more often that way to situate himself making him lose vision on he rest of the ice as well. Playing C gives him the best of both worlds I guess. Thanks.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It's within the realm of possibility that Colborne or Grigo can be a decent 3rd center. Certainly possibly they can be better than Mitchell, whom they've been comfortable with as a 3rd center multiple years in a row.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's within the realm of possibility that Colborne or Grigo can be a decent 3rd center. Certainly possibly they can be better than Mitchell, whom they've been comfortable with as a 3rd center multiple years in a row.

I've seen enough of Colborne over the years at center to believe that he is much, much better at wing (I think he is good enough at wing to take a regular shift on the 2nd line). I don't think Grigo has the skating to be a real effective center. He possesses a number of the other skills, but at his age, I don't think center is just going to click with him. I'd put Mitchell at the #3C spot before either of those two, and I don't think that is even a decent option. To me, Compher is the only legitimate option to take over that role and I don't think he is fully ready for it. After a half season in the AHL and some 4th line time... I could see it, but to open the season I wouldn't feel good about Compher, Mitchell, Colborne, or Grigo at the #3C spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad