Prospect Info: Mikko Rantanen Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Fair enough. I don't even look at it so much production wise with his 30 goals, but the way he played. The way he controlled the play, the scoring chances he created, the confidence he had in himself, the danger level his line had because of him. Just in terms of the way he played, in my mind it's clear he was better than in 13-14.

I also think his assist totals were affected by MacKinnon's slump, and inability to hit the net, or bury his chances. There were quite a few plays that he set Nate up for, that Nate went back to the bench frustrated over not burying. The PP struggling also affected his assist totals.
For me the main reason for having him moved to RW is because I don't think a Mack-Dutchy 1-2 punch at Cs is good enough. They are too much alike. If one of them was also great defensively, I'd be OK with it but both are just average defensively. In today's NHL I believe one of your two top centers has to be great defensively as well so that one of your top two lines can be matched against the other team's best line.

Their defensive play and being alike so much in their style are also the reasons why I don't think they should be put together on the same line. I think Dutchy would be even better at RW on Soda's line as they would complement each others better.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Quick question about Mikko for my fantasy team, to the people that watch him is he known to hit a decent amount (like at least once a game avg). Ahl doesnt record those stats and his short nhl stint has him at 0. Projections on those stats are all over the place from what ive seen haha.

If its lower I may have to take off the homer glasses and pick up someone else haha

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Avs tend to have high hit counts at home. I don't think he looks to be the first contact but doesn't shy away from it. But if that seriously is the reason why you don't consider him for fantasy I'd say that's a mistake. Pick up Cody McLeod then.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Depends how much other stats are worth. I'm in a fantasy league where Beauchemin had 1 and 1/2 times more points that Barrie last year.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
The Avs tend to have high hit counts at home. I don't think he looks to be the first contact but doesn't shy away from it. But if that seriously is the reason why you don't consider him for fantasy I'd say that's a mistake. Pick up Cody McLeod then.

Fair enough, It isn't the only reason I consider him, but if he doesn't at least hit over say like 50 times a year I have better options available to pickup this year (with homer glasses off lol). A guy like Koivu would do just as much.

So it was mostly just a curiosity about his game since he is a big kid.

If im looking for last place Ill def consider McLeod haha.

@Kento

Ya its just a H2H league where every category gets you a W. Beuch was ridiculous with blocks last year , im surprised he could stand by the end of the season lol

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
But seriously for fantasy wouldn't McLeod fill up the scoresheet in the other areas of hits and PIMs? If they are just as valuable as points.

At this time no, I would say don't count on a high number of hits from Mikko.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
But seriously for fantasy wouldn't McLeod fill up the scoresheet in the other areas of hits and PIMs? If they are just as valuable as points.

At this time no, I would say don't count on a high number of hits from Mikko.

Ya Mcleod would, he actually isnt bad for those two stats but he is horrible in the other 6 offensive ones (H2H league) , but even if I wanted to go that route I might as well go all out and get like Matt Martin haha. I wasn't really just looking for hits but unless Rants puts up like 55+ points with say like 60+ hits I have better options for the short term.

Thanks I was thinking he wouldn't this year, but I seen a projection of him getting 137 hits and I just didn't think he was that physical from my limited viewings especially for a young guy so wanted to get a opinion or two.

Definitely curious to see how he is deployed this season. He is such a wildcard.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya Mcleod would, he actually isnt bad for those two stats but he is horrible in the other 6 offensive ones (H2H league) , but even if I wanted to go that route I might as well go all out and get like Matt Martin haha. I wasn't really just looking for hits but unless Rants puts up like 55+ points with say like 60+ hits I have better options for the short term.

Thanks I was thinking he wouldn't this year, but I seen a projection of him getting 137 hits and I just didn't think he was that physical from my limited viewings especially for a young guy so wanted to get a opinion or two.

Definitely curious to see how he is deployed this season. He is such a wildcard.

I had Martin for a couple of years in a keeper league lol.

You know who else was a monster in that type of league, was Neal. Penalty minutes, hits, points, that dude did it all lol.

I think the emphasis on for-checking that Bednar will have should help any full time Av winger in the hits department, as they seem to count it some times even when it's just rubbing a player off the puck against the boards. So I'd say he'll hit that, as I think even guys like Duchene hit almost 100 in some years I was in that format. 55 points, who knows on that one. If he stays in the top six all year it's possible. 40ish is probably a safer bet.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Rantanen isn't getting 137 hits. I'd cut that number in half and then some.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Landy is a ~160-170 guy most seasons (141 last year), and he is 10 times more physical than Rantanen... maybe literally. I expect Rantanen to be in the 25-35 range, Soda with a touch more sort of level.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He'll miss camp then. Hopefully Avs already figures he's good enough for a spot on the team.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Any updates on his injury?
Maybe somebody should ask the french media as this is the only way we get news on our team. I can't wait for the day when we get a decent beat writer that will actually do his job.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Maybe somebody should ask the french media as this is the only way we get news on our team. I can't wait for the day when we get a decent beat writer that will actually do his job.

LOL! Are you serious?

Surely @MikeChambers does a decent job (I just tweeted him about Mikko, if he responds. I'll post it here)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's the worst but if you get a response out of him then great. It's been 2 weeks, somebody should be asking. The Avs generally are when you see them on the ice that's when they are healthy kind of team.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
rantanen was chilling in the stands with landeskog, Pickard, and barrie during the kings game. He's probably still healing his foot. I imagine hell be quite rusty when he gets back on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad