Speculation: Mikko Rantanen Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Mikko's just waiting to sign the deal on his way into the building Friday morning...
The funny thing is that I do think Mikko will sign and not miss any real games this year. I think if there is any kind of extracted thing that it would only mean a couple of games. But it's just the people who hide their head in the sand and say "This isn't a problem. All is going according to plan" just don't make any sense.

Reactions: cgf

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think the issue for all these RFAs is term, because everyone knows that expansion and TV contracts will make the cap accelerate. I even bet these RFAs are willing to give up more AAV than we think as long as the term can be shorter, but GMs know this isn't the smart bet.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I think the issue for all these RFAs is term, because everyone knows that expansion and TV contracts will make the cap accelerate. I even bet these RFAs are willing to give up more AAV than we think as long as the term can be shorter, but GMs know this isn't the smart bet.

Ding-ding-ding! All the discussions about the unsigned RFA's boiled down to one short post. This is the real reason for all the hold-ups this year.

Reactions: scholl

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This might just be the best post you've ever made.
giphy.gif

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
Strickland apparently said the is 1 mil gap left to discuss. otherwise they are settled

Reactions: scholl

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
That's not what he said at all. The gap in $ is 1mil, but the contract is nowhere near completion.

I didn't see the original tweet, just from Finnish media, but I believe that in order to be within 1 mil, you already have to have common understanding of the term. otherwise what would that even mean?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It's funny because I think with Point it's the opposite - he wants 5-8, and the team wants around 3. At least that's my impression based on the little that has leaked.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
But it's just the people who hide their head in the sand and say "This isn't a problem. All is going according to plan" just don't make any sense.

Nothing we as fans can do about it. Might as well not worry. Personally I expect it all to work out fine, haven't seen any reason not to like with ROR.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The funny thing is that I do think Mikko will sign and not miss any real games this year. I think if there is any kind of extracted thing that it would only mean a couple of games. But it's just the people who hide their head in the sand and say "This isn't a problem. All is going according to plan" just don't make any sense.
Orrr.. People realize it's just a game and getting all worked up over things like this is a waste of time and energy.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Nothing we as fans can do about it. Might as well not worry. Personally I expect it all to work out fine, haven't seen any reason not to like with ROR.

The problem with ROR was due to Pierre LaCroix's infamous "take it or leave it" negotiating style. I don't think Sakic is that kind of GM, and agree that things will most likely get figured out over the next week or two.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I didn't see the original tweet, just from Finnish media, but I believe that in order to be within 1 mil, you already have to have common understanding of the term. otherwise what would that even mean?

You would think that but sports reporters can play really fast & loose with common sense when reporting on negotiations that they only get half the story about. I've seen Dater take a scenario where the team was offering X for 7-8 years to a player who wanted X for 4 years, and report it as "settled on money, just hammering out term"...completely ignoring that changing the term changes the AAV expectations on both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad