Mikko Rantanen in his last 229 games (play-offs included) 253 points

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
When talked about the Avs, the usual suspect is MacKinnon, who indeed is one of the best players in the world
but...Mikko Rantanen gets so many times forgotten.

He is big and strong, not saying he is a two way forward but
where as MacKinnon is a points and goals producing offensive machine,
Rants is way more whole player, plays more all around game, while produces plenty of goals & points.

And he really has produced:
in his last 229 games, Mikko has 93 goals and 253 points, 1.10 ppg.

Sure, we all know how incredibly awesome, MacKinnon is
but ive seen so many of Rants games, where he leads that line
(when they do play in the same line, mostly they do)
and plays better what MacKinnon, but didn't necessary
get the credit what he deserves(ed), but then again, i might be biased
because i'm a Finn, you decide.

One other thing people seem to forget, he is 1 year younger what MacKinnon.
and... went the AHL route to get to the NHL.

What i'm trying to say is, Mikko Rantanane is one of the...better players in the... world even
and always seem to be forgotten when talked about star, super star players of the NHL

Reactions: Quarrth

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
First it was Mack being a product of Rantanen now it's the other way around. How the tables have turned :sarcasm:
Makar is also gonna be nothing but a product of those two in some people's eyes. Better get used to it.

Reactions: Spilot23

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Makar is also gonna be nothing but a product of those two in some people's eyes. Better get used to it.

Uhhhh he obviously is a product of them.. Did you not see all those Makar or Hughes type threads saying so??lol
:huh:

In all seriousness, I had no idea those were Rantanens stats ... that's unreal!... quietly one of the best in the league.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Rantanen is being carried by Mackinnon it's as simple as that! He's kind of like a modern day Paul Kariya but with just the Finish fans hyping him up. When it's all said and done Rantanen will have to thank MacKinnon for making the Hall of fame and acknowledge that he wouldn't have made the Hall of fame without playing with Mackinnon, just like Kariya had to thank Selanne for making the Hall of fame and acknowledge that he wouldn't have made the hall of fame without playing with Selanne...

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
This past playoffs he didn't look all that great to be honest. His balance - which is his worst asset by far - was even worse than usual and he looked out of sort at times, yet somehow managed to score 21 in 15. Even when he looks like a complete waste of space offensively he somehow makes a pass that makes your jaw drop and gets an apple in the process.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
This past playoffs he didn't look all that great to be honest. His balance - which is his worst asset by far - was even worse than usual and he looked out of sort at times, yet somehow managed to score 21 in 15. Even when he looks like a complete waste of space offensively he somehow makes a pass that makes your jaw drop and gets an apple in the process.
I agree with you I was suprised seeing his point totals compared to his play still managed to produce that much dang. Hard to see him go full bambi with the size he has. His one timers doesn't seem to be quite effective compared to last year or 2 years ago he keeps missing the net probably one of the main reason why our PP is looking bad when you have to rely on Mack and Makar only.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
a proven playoff performer.
It's a lot easier to be perceived as a "playoff performer" when your already top of the league PP time increases to a ridiculous 5 minutes every game, and you play teams like Arizona, and face goalies like Smith and Jones coming off sub-0.900 seasons.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
I didnt like Rants last season that much. He showed better the year before. I expect more from him:thumbu:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's obvious that they're all being carried by Landeskog actually.

Bingo!!!... he carries all the forwards and dmen.. it's crazy.

Hes the reason that Makar is carried by Mac and Rant.. hes the reason why Rant is carried by Mac and last but not least, he just flat out carrys Mac... I've never seen anything like it...

Hmmmm or do they carry him actually? Damn I cant remember all the HF rules of who carrys who and why none of the Avs players are actually any good

Reactions: jetsforever

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It's a lot easier to be perceived as a "playoff performer" when your already top of the league PP time increases to a ridiculous 5 minutes every game, and you play teams like Arizona, and face goalies like Smith and Jones coming off sub-0.900 seasons.
Either way the meaning still stand he was performing and producing that's what we expect from our highest paid player. He got PP time but he wasn't nearly that good IMO as said in previous post he keeps missing those one timers. The PP relied heavily on Mack and Makar where we needed more of Rants that's one of the reason why the PP was not as good in the playoffs. Avs faced a hot goalie in Smith against CGY two years ago and Kuemper again this year. Both of those series could've been worst without them. They weren't the reason why Rants produced.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Serious question for people who know his game well:

How would Rantanen fare on a team without MacKinnon or another elite #1 C? could he drive a line and a team's offense like Panarin or Kane or Kucherov, or another elite winger?

He's super fun to watch but I ask because I've never looked at the nuance of his game

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

Smith had a .917% against the Avs. Funny you bring up regular season stats when the goalie that you've been claiming stole the series from the leafs is rocking a career .908%.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Smith had a .917% against the Avs. Funny you bring up regular season stats when the goalie that you've been claiming stole the series from the leafs is rocking a career .908%.
Also brings the PP production when most of good players produce in the PP. Marner had 4 pts in the playoffs with 50% of those points coming from the PP :sarcasm:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

How would Rantanen fare on a team without MacKinnon or another elite #1 C? could he drive a line and a team's offense like Panarin or Kane or Kucherov, or another elite winger?

He's super fun to watch but I ask because I've never looked at the nuance of his game
He'd be fine. Times where MacKinnon was injured his point total took a bit of a hit, but still over a PPG guy.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Hard to tell we haven't seen him enough away from Mackinnon. His numbers would go down for sure and I don't believe he could drive a team's offense like Panarin, Kane or Kucherov those guys are more of playmakers where Rantanen is more a shoot first guy. We saw two years ago a line with Rantanen, Wilson and Soderberg in the playoffs he was able to produce but eventually got back with Mack through the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad