Mikko Rantanen in his last 229 games (play-offs included) 253 points

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
It’s crazy that some people can’t see that the sum of a whole can be greater than individuals by themselves. Heck, this is a terrible example, but even ea nhl video games give line bonus attributes for line chemistry making everyone better based on how pieces fit.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Rantanen is being carried by Mackinnon it's as simple as that! He's kind of like a modern day Paul Kariya but with just the Finish fans hyping him up. When it's all said and done Rantanen will have to thank MacKinnon for making the Hall of fame and acknowledge that he wouldn't have made the Hall of fame without playing with Mackinnon, just like Kariya had to thank Selanne for making the Hall of fame and acknowledge that he wouldn't have made the hall of fame without playing with Selanne...
Man, there's just a bewildering amount of 'wrong' in this post. I don't even know where to begin.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He didn't have a good season because of 2 injuries and then looked very rusty in the playoffs (but still got 21 points in 15 games).

The only frustrating part about him is he falls on the ice all the time for no apparent reason. It's very weird.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Makar is also gonna be nothing but a product of those two in some people's eyes. Better get used to it.
Am I missing something where people hate the avalanche for no reason? It’s not like they’re Vancouver. Poor Hughes and Pettersson. Each will forever be argued down as a product of the other...who isn’t good anyway. :laugh:

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Mikko wasn't nearly as good this year as he was last, likely a product of his injury but it's still true.

At his best, he'st a play driving winger who can single handily tilt the ice towards the opponent's net and can finish/create plays at an elite level.

At his worst, he's a stationary offensive zone magician--unable to drive play but can still distribute and finish at an elite level once he's set up in the offensive zone.

I'm hoping he has an injury-free season and really puts everything together.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He isn’t a Forsberg that is so obviously dominant that he stands out when playing alongside a Sakic. As long as he plays with Mackinnon, he’ll be overlooked. He is elite, but not franchise. I think he’s about fairly rated on here except for the rare occasion someone tries to make the argument that he’s a product of MacKinnon.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
This past playoffs he didn't look all that great to be honest. His balance - which is his worst asset by far - was even worse than usual and he looked out of sort at times, yet somehow managed to score 21 in 15. Even when he looks like a complete waste of space offensively he somehow makes a pass that makes your jaw drop and gets an apple in the process.
Oddly enough I find the ‘off balance’ skating to be part of the package for Rantanen. He has an erratic style of skating that creates elusiveness in the offensive zone; being off balance lends itself to this and is an asset for him.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Serious question for people who know his game well:

How would Rantanen fare on a team without MacKinnon or another elite #1 C? could he drive a line and a team's offense like Panarin or Kane or Kucherov, or another elite winger?

He's super fun to watch but I ask because I've never looked at the nuance of his game

No.. When Mack missed time with injury right before the playoffs I think Rantanen had like 1 pt in 10 games. He needs Mack more than Mack needs him. But together they are great for eachother. Would be nice that a winger making 9.5 million could DRIVE his own line but so far Rant has shown he can not do that consistantly

Reactions: tiburon12

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Always thought one of the most underrated parts of his game is his one-timer.

It's not an Ovechkin or Kucherov-like cannon but he is crazy accurate with it.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Serious question for people who know his game well:

How would Rantanen fare on a team without MacKinnon or another elite #1 C? could he drive a line and a team's offense like Panarin or Kane or Kucherov, or another elite winger?

He's super fun to watch but I ask because I've never looked at the nuance of his game
Yup I think he has that ability in him. As has been mentioned his balance is his biggest weakness, but when he’s not falling over his ability to get the puck in the neutral zone and make a play in the O-Zone is high end. The fact that he’s such a good puck carrier and playmaker would make him a good line driver. He already does a good amount of line driving with Mack as they have such good chemistry. I don’t think he’d be Kucherov or Panarin level but he’d still be a very good 1st line winger.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Always thought one of the most underrated parts of his game is his one-timer.

It's not an Ovechkin or Kucherov-like cannon but he is crazy accurate with it.
It’s up there for one of the better ones I’m the league for sure. It’s ridiculous how many times he hits bar-in or goes top corner.

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
No.. When Mack missed time with injury right before the playoffs I think Rantanen had like 1 pt in 10 games. He needs Mack more than Mack needs him. But together they are great for eachother. Would be nice that a winger making 9.5 million could DRIVE his own line but so far Rant has shown he can not do that consistantly

Almost right, 4 points in 9 games . And in that season after MacKinnon their best centers was Kerfoot and Compher :help:

Reactions: Stubu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
upload_2019-12-2_1-28-37-gif.285465

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You don't have to watch many games to understand that the man is a certified moose. Strong with the puck like Jagr/Forsberg etc.
He's not as strong on his skates as Jagr/Forsberg, but he does have that Jagr-butt and is pretty decent at the Forsberg-patented reverse-hit.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Rantanen is being carried by Mackinnon it's as simple as that! He's kind of like a modern day Paul Kariya but with just the Finish fans hyping him up. When it's all said and done Rantanen will have to thank MacKinnon for making the Hall of fame and acknowledge that he wouldn't have made the Hall of fame without playing with Mackinnon, just like Kariya had to thank Selanne for making the Hall of fame and acknowledge that he wouldn't have made the hall of fame without playing with Selanne...

I cant figure out if this is a troll or a really bad take

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Rantanen is awesome and what i like about him the most is that he’s developed that ”get shit done” attitude. When the team needs a big game he’s probably going to be on the board, not just play well and have nothing to show for it.

I don’t think anyone is carrying anyone but of course what the MacKinnon effect does it can hide stretches of meh play when you still put up some points, whether it’s just passing the puck to him or he’s making a jaw dropping play that opens ice and gives his linemate a good chance.

So while it’s hard to say how consistent Rantanen would be if he was the best player on his line and the points can sometimes mask things, there’s no doubt he’s a great hockey player who has a very versatile skillset and size to go along with it.

I mean just seeing the mess that Detroit is makes you appreciate what these guys were able to do for the Avs back in 17-18. Only special players can turn the ship around like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->