Mikko Rantanen in his last 229 games (play-offs included) 253 points

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
People saying he wasn't that good in this playoffs. 21 points in 15 games, and if thats the bad Mikko, I'd like to see what good Mikko can do

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Big time player. Didn’t think he was at his best this year because of injury, but he’s got the best passing/IQ on the Avs.

The guy has a beautiful set of mits and is a pleasure to watch.

Looks forward to seeing what a healthy Mikko does next season. When he’s at top form he takes the Avs to another level.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's a lot easier to be perceived as a "playoff performer" when your already top of the league PP time increases to a ridiculous 5 minutes every game, and you play teams like Arizona, and face goalies like Smith and Jones coming off sub-0.900 seasons.
Or he had to face the #1 seed in the West then a top 5 defensive team in the league?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's a lot easier to be perceived as a "playoff performer" when your already top of the league PP time increases to a ridiculous 5 minutes every game, and you play teams like Arizona, and face goalies like Smith and Jones coming off sub-0.900 seasons.

Arizona and Dallas were two of the top defensive teams this season.

And ask Flames fans about that Calgary series... Smith played out of his mind.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Welcome to Tampa status. No one on your team is actually good because everyone else on the team is so good
This is basically a thing for everyone in the NHL. If you play on a good team, or with good players on your line, or even if you play on a line with bad players but have good players on your team, on HF most of your work is discredited and attributed to being the product of someone else. Or good goaltending. Or good coaching.

Basically there's only really a couple handful of actual NHL calibre players in the league, and the hockey world just doesn't understand the game or advanced metrics well enough to realise it.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It wouldn't be a proper offseason without unnecessary amount of AV's praising threads and Leefs fans complaining about everything. :damnpc:
Oh sorry I keep forgetting that Leafs fans have a very strict code of what we’re allowed to post. Sorry for offending your sensibilities.

Your comment is a total joke, but don’t worry, I’ve heard it a hundred times before.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Avs faced a hot goalie in Smith against CGY two years ago and Kuemper again this year.
I'm not really sure you can call 0.917 or 0.895 goaltending "hot". That's more average and well below average.
Smith had a .917% against the Avs. Funny you bring up regular season stats when the goalie that you've been claiming stole the series from the leafs is rocking a career .908%.
Not sure what career stats have to do with anything, and there's a big difference between 0.917 goaltending and 0.952 goaltending in a series.
Arizona and Dallas were two of the top defensive teams this season.
Defensively this regular season, Arizona was 18th, and Dallas was 10th.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm not really sure you can call 0.917 or 0.895 goaltending "hot". That's more average and well below average.

Not sure what career stats have to do with anything, and there's a big difference between 0.917 goaltending and 0.952 goaltending in a series.

Defensively this regular season, Arizona was 18th, and Dallas was 10th.

Dallas allowed the second fewest goals in the league and I believe Arizona allowed the 4th fewest.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Definitely has displayed stretches of play when healthy and particularly when MacK is maybe going through a slump where he looks every bit a franchise forward and a couple seasons ago he was among the top few forwards in the league for the first half of the season or so...not an inconsequential period of time. He's so smooth with the puck and has such soft touch both passing and shooting and he's ox-strong even if he's not super physically aggressive - he's got that Jagr-butt. At times I feel like he makes very difficult or flashy plays look exceedingly easy so it helps contribute to a general feeling that he has even more to offer.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dallas allowed the second fewest goals in the league and I believe Arizona allowed the 4th fewest.
Yes, they got very good goaltending in the regular season, but we were talking defensively. Unfortunately for those teams, neither goalie played at the same level in the playoffs (and Bishop got injured).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yes, they got good goaltending in the regular season, but we were talking defensively. Unfortunately for those teams, neither goalie played at the same level in the playoffs (and Bishop got injured).

Yeah, I thought Khudobin was merely average against the Avs. Still two teams that didn’t allow a lot of goals in the regular season. Not sure your point holds much weight.

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
This past playoffs he didn't look all that great to be honest. His balance - which is his worst asset by far - was even worse than usual and he looked out of sort at times, yet somehow managed to score 21 in 15. Even when he looks like a complete waste of space offensively he somehow makes a pass that makes your jaw drop and gets an apple in the process.

I noticed the same exact thing and am fairly confident it was a lot to do with his multiple knee injuries throughout the year. I don’t think they fully healed/he didn’t complete a full recovery process of strengthening and reinforcing stability (Source: I am a physical therapist).

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, I thought Khudobin was merely average against the Avs. Still two teams that didn’t allow a lot of goals in the regular season.
Sub-0.900 goaltending is quite a bit worse than "average", even with Dallas playing worse defensively. If there's a team that gets good GA results as a result of their goaltending playing well, it's not really the same production difficulty to face them when their goaltending isn't playing well.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Sub-0.900 goaltending is quite a bit worse than "average", even with Dallas playing worse defensively. If there's a team that gets good GA results as a result of their goaltending playing well, it's not really the same production difficulty to face them when their goaltending isn't playing well.

He was up and down. Four games over .900, three games under .900.

I’m not really sure what your overall point is though. Rantanen produced fairly consistently the last 3/4 years. I don’t know why some up and down goaltending from Khudobin is so important when looking at a large sample size.

Reactions: Spilot23

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I’m not really sure what your overall point is though.
The main point is that playoffs are a unique situation and setup, and different players deal with drastically different impacting factors. Things aren't averaged out the same as they are when facing 30 different teams over a bigger sample. Even more than for the regular season, you can't just look up raw points and jump to conclusions.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The main point is that playoffs are a unique situation and setup, and different players deal with drastically different impacting factors. Things aren't averaged out the same as they are when facing 30 different teams over a bigger sample. Even more than for the regular season, you can't just look up raw points and jump to conclusions.

The main point is that Mikko Rantanen produces whether, or not it’s the regular season, or the playoffs.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
He was up and down. Four games over .900, three games under .900.

I’m not really sure what your overall point is though. Rantanen produced fairly consistently the last 3/4 years. I don’t know why some up and down goaltending from Khudobin is so important when looking at a large sample size.

He's trying to diminish his playoffs accomplishments because his favourite players haven't nearly had the same amount of success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad