Mikko Rantanen in his last 229 games (play-offs included) 253 points

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Rantanen is awesome and what i like about him the most is that he’s developed that ”get shit done” attitude. When the team needs a big game he’s probably going to be on the board, not just play well and have nothing to show for it.

I don’t think anyone is carrying anyone but of course what the MacKinnon effect does it can hide stretches of meh play when you still put up some points, whether it’s just passing the puck to him or he’s making a jaw dropping play that opens ice and gives his linemate a good chance.

So while it’s hard to say how consistent Rantanen would be if he was the best player on his line and the points can sometimes mask things, there’s no doubt he’s a great hockey player who has a very versatile skillset and size to go along with it.

I mean just seeing the mess that Detroit is makes you appreciate what these guys were able to do for the Avs back in 17-18. Only special players can turn the ship around like that.
I agree. Toronto is pretty much the same as in 16-17.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Rantanen is awesome and what i like about him the most is that he’s developed that ”get shit done” attitude. When the team needs a big game he’s probably going to be on the board, not just play well and have nothing to show for it.

I don’t think anyone is carrying anyone but of course what the MacKinnon effect does it can hide stretches of meh play when you still put up some points, whether it’s just passing the puck to him or he’s making a jaw dropping play that opens ice and gives his linemate a good chance.

So while it’s hard to say how consistent Rantanen would be if he was the best player on his line and the points can sometimes mask things, there’s no doubt he’s a great hockey player who has a very versatile skillset and size to go along with it.

I mean just seeing the mess that Detroit is makes you appreciate what these guys were able to do for the Avs back in 17-18. Only special players can turn the ship around like that.

He’s been that this season.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I think the Mackinnon argument is actually viable in some instances for Rantanen, mainly with his post season stats. Rantanen has been good but I think he’s been a little fortunate to have 39 points in 33 games (he actually looked way better in 2019 than he did last year dispute last years points).

Playoff Mackinnon is absolutely insane and Rantanen has definitely benefited from playing with him.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Nice to finally see some other elite players labeled as products of their linemates.

Was starting to think it was just us.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Im glad people see rantanen as an elite player, and i'd argue he's the avalanches most important player besides mack. seriously, kids a bull in a china closet and can score a ton: exciting player

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Rantanen's biggest issue is consistency and that he often forgets he's one of the biggest bodies out on the ice to go along with his skill. Sometimes it clicks and he looks like Jagr out there - other times he plays like he's 5'11" and relies too much on MacKinnon to drive the offence.

Reactions: FractionTwo and PAZ

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
great player. No coincidence that MacKinnon finally broke out once Rantanen showed up.
So true. No doubt about it Nathan Mackinnon is one of the best players in the world, but I’m not sure if people on the outside understand how strong of an impact Rantanen and even Landeskog have on the game. Those three all bring something completely different to the table to make the line click.

Reactions: FractionTwo

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
So true. No doubt about it Nathan Mackinnon is one of the best players in the world, but I’m not sure if people on the outside understand how strong of an impact Rantanen and even Landeskog have on the game. Those three all bring something completely different to the table to make the line click.
And when the RML line goes, they go off. the avalanche are a machine when they score, and when they dont they look incredibly frail and weak.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
And when the RML line goes, they go off. the avalanche are a machine when they score, and when they dont they look incredibly frail and weak.

It really doesn't help that they're in a division full of teams that clog up the neutral zone which is a direct counter to how they like to create offense off the rush.

Reactions: FractionTwo

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
It really doesn't help that they're in a division full of teams that clog up the neutral zone which is a direct counter to how they like to create offense off the rush.
Which is why they need to keep scoring on depth. You need to stay consistent as a team, and colorado's main issue is depth scoring. They're a very good team, but they really are gonna hate teams that just abuse the hell out of blocking shots and staying in any lane. I don't think this season harms how we look at them, its more a testament to how they lack the depth, especially when kadri is playing very poorly

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
I think Rantanen is pretty good in just about everything except raw skating speed. Iq, shot, positioning, puck protection, passing..But he hasn't got anything superior like McKinnon. But his versatility shows in his play. And this leads to the fact that he is smart enough to understand how to make McKinnon an even better player. I think he adapts well. He definitely benefits from McKinnon but knows exactly how to play alongside him and get the most out of his own stregths while doing it. I would say though, that Landeskog is probably a player whose heart and soul are there just to make his linemates better. I think Mikko and Nate owe a big thanks to their captain. If someone is underrated it's Landeskog.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I think Rantanen is pretty good in just about everything except raw skating speed. Iq, shot, positioning, puck protection, passing..But he hasn't got anything superior like McKinnon. But his versatility shows in his play. And this leads to the fact that he is smart enough to understand how to make McKinnon an even better player. I think he adapts well. He definitely benefits from McKinnon but knows exactly how to play alongside him and get the most out of his own stregths while doing it. I would say though, that Landeskog is probably a player whose heart and soul are there just to make his linemates better. I think Mikko and Nate owe a big thanks to their captain. If someone is underrated it's Landeskog.

"But he hasn't got anything superior like McKinnon."

Rantanen's puck protection combined with incredible puck control IS the Best I've seen since Jagr, I would think I'm not alone with this opinion.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

To be fair, Mac didn't miss a beat last year when both Landy and Rants were out of the lineup.

NHL Stats

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Very good player, always liked him. Big, can skate, has hands, will score. Would like to see what he can do on the McDrai line...probably would be something to behold.

Please for the love of god sweep Vegas...I know our fanbases seem to hate each other these days because of endless McDavid-Mack talk, but I'm joining the wagon. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad