maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Grigs-Dutchy-Rantanen
Landy-Mack-Radulov
Soda-Bleackley-Rendulic
Mitchell-Compher-Everberg

We're all forgetting about Rendulic!

Could it be realistic Roy tries Rantannen-Soderberg-Rendulic line? All big players and maybe R&R find chemistry fast since both came from Finnish league?

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
He was #1 on my list of realistic forward options if all the D were gone. Ecstatic to get him!

If he has a good camp he could have an NHL impact this year. If he's not ready we'll have plenty of options on where to play him. Sending him to the AHL (and then to World Juniors) will be very appealing.
I haven't seen a lot of him but the things I have seen make me think he'll make the team this fall and become a fan favorite quickly. I really like the way he plays the game.

Also, I'd love to watch him play on a line with Hishon for a bit.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You know what the best thing in all of this is? In the Finnish media, Colorado is no longer just the Minnesota Wild's hated rival, but a team that the media will follow and talk up. Just like Minny and Florida. "Rantanen's Colorado".

Makkeli

May 1, 2009
Finland
You know what the best thing in all of this is? In the Finnish media, Colorado is no longer just the Minnesota Wild's hated rival, but a team that the media will follow and talk up. Just like Minny and Florida. "Rantanen's Colorado".

I don't actually like this part. Now every newspaper is filled with same kind of crap than with Granlund and all these "hardcore Avalanche fans since 2015" are pretending to know everything about the team and NHL.

At the same time I'm really excited that we chose Rantanen, but still when is the last time Finland really produced a really good NHL-level forward? So I'm little sceptical, but I have seen Rantanen play live about 10 times and he really seems to be real deal. Let's see how this plays out :)

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm still so happy about this pick.

It definitely seems like a new-era Avs pick as well, rather then a predictable OHL Pracey pick (I'm convinced we would have taken Crouse if Rick was still here)

Big, fast, skilled and physical, sounds like Roy's ideal player.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't actually like this part. Now every newspaper is filled with same kind of crap than with Granlund and all these "hardcore Avalanche fans since 2015" are pretending to know everything about the team and NHL.

Yes, well I'm also worried that I'll lose the fact that I'm a fan of an unexpected team and everyone will think I chose the Avs just this year because of Rantanen. :laugh::help:

At the same time I'm really excited that we chose Rantanen, but still when is the last time Finland really produced a really good NHL-level forward? So I'm little sceptical, but I have seen Rantanen play live about 10 times and he really seems to be real deal. Let's see how this plays out :)

Barkov in 2013. :D I get what you're saying and I've had thoughts about Rantanen becoming Jesse Niinimäki or Lauri Tukonen but the new generation of kids looks soooo much more promising than whatever happened in the 2000's.

So what's the word for beefcake in Finnish?

Lihaskimppu. Which translates to "a bunch of muscles". Or if you want the "Biffkaka" version, which I presume you do, it could be pihvikakku.

Last edited:

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Rantanen was probably who I was biggest on several weeks ago. But admittedly I didn't know a lot about the other guys. So I tried to have an open mind and allow myself to learn more about the prospects. And several here made a lot of strong and pursuasove arguments for other players.

One thing that has changed somewhat is losing OReilly. If you lose OReilly, Rantanen makes more sense since he's a playmaker and can conceivably play center and wing. I only see Crouse on the wing. His physicality would have been nice though. But one thing I like about Rantanen more than Crouse is that he'll set up others to score goals more. I feel Crouse would have been more of a goal scorer than an assist guy.. Neither is bad per se but t just seems like all the Avs big players can both finish and pass. I feel Rantanen falls in that category too.

Both Crouse and Rantanen check off a lot of boxes but I can definitely see why they liked Rantanen more. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when they discussed this. I'd also like to know whether losing OReilly changed how they weighed this decision.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm still so happy about this pick.

It definitely seems like a new-era Avs pick as well, rather then a predictable OHL Pracey pick (I'm convinced we would have taken Crouse if Rick was still here)

Big, fast, skilled and physical, sounds like Roy's ideal player.

Crouse might have been the 2013-2014 compromise but Pracey would have taken Barzal probably.

Of course I still love Crouse but there really is no downside to taking Rantanen. He's one of the oldest players in the draft and can at least play AHL. He's big and skilled.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Damn, I don't ever think I have ever seen this board more happy. :laugh:

Me happy too.

I was ecstatic when we won the draft lottery but I'm extremely satisfied with everything so far, from our picks to our trades. If Rant does play I'd imagine he'll give every chance to play with Duchene/Mackinnon (whichever he clicks with more)

...Also to note is that he won't be as difficult to sign I'd wager, anyone find it odd that players like Dutch and Landy signed hometown discounts to make sure our team stays competitive but RoR didn't? I don't, they actually want to be apart of the team. A guy who grew up watching the avs? Nothings for sure but he SHOULD be easy to sign even if we push him to ufa as early as age 25.

edit: something that makes me VERY slightly nervous is the swede/finn thing, I really don't think Landy is that type but I still wonder if something will be there between the two in the future just due to reasons.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
edit: something that makes me VERY slightly nervous is the swede/finn thing, I really don't think Landy is that type but I still wonder if something will be there between the two in the future just due to reasons.

Hehe, there's absolutely no reason to be nervous about that. In fact, Finns and Swedes in the NHL are often good friends off the ice because they have similar backgrounds and "lifestyle" back home. It's a friendly rivalry in international games but nothing more.

It might also help that Mikko was/is a big fan of Peter Forsberg when he was growing up. Says he tries to play a similar style as Foppa. I'm happy that he was drafted by the Avs because that was his favourite team as a kid. Must have been awesome to meet guys like Sakic and Roy on the podium. I hope he has a great career in Colorado. :nod:

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006

As a Finn, that's a ridiculous thing to be nervous about.

Has there ever been any reports of Finns and Swedes not getting along in an NHL team? Usually they hang around with each other the most.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

Yeah, the Swede/Finn thing is a friendly "rivalry". Not an actual issue that causes things. :D

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Longer shift by shift video from earlier this season

I've said before how I love a winger coming on his off-wing, and Rantanen has it down. His puck skills and edge control are top notch. Those moves he makes right at the start of the video are tremendous. His puck control and vision are off the charts. If you watch the video above you can see he does a lot of work with his stick, like O'Reilly, to get the puck back. Very happy with this pick.

His moves from 23:05-23:16 just show you the advantages of being a big guy with skill.

And in the end, if the Avs were willing to move up to 8 to get this guy, that last win against Chicago didn't matter all that much.

Last edited:

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
My hope is that Rant follows Filip Forsberg's path in development, one more season in Europe followed with one in the AHL.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Our finnish members are responsible to finding information in Finland on if he plans to stay in SM-Liiga or play in the AHL. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad