Mikko Rantanen 10th Overall 2015 NHL Entry Draft l Signed to ELC 7/13/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Rantanen is who I wanted forward wise going into the draft and I'm glad we got him. He has a ton of potential and I think he's a guy who can mesh well with Duchene and also help cover a bit defensively.

How does he compare to a guy like Kopitar?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
rantanen has a diet that isn't only limited to worms.

rantanen > crouse.

Rantanen is who I wanted forward wise going into the draft and I'm glad we got him. He has a ton of potential and I think he's a guy who can mesh well with Duchene and also help cover a bit defensively.

How does he compare to a guy like Kopitar?

shoots the puck a bit more, obviously not as great D and not as strong on his skates.. that's how i see him as now and how he would project.. willing to drive the net more, too. one of kopi's few weaknesses (along with not shooting the puck).

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Is he an assistant captian for his team in Finland?

mikko_rantanen_tps-2.jpg

Yes he is. (it's the A on the right side of the "KOFF" advert)

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Rantanten is the exactly the type of prospect we needed. A higher skilled big forward and someone to slot into the top six eventually. Hopefully he will mesh well with Duchene and we run with Landy MacKinnon and Duchene Rantanen.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Rantanten is the exactly the type of prospect we needed. A higher skilled big forward and someone to slot into the top six eventually. Hopefully he will mesh well with Duchene and we run with Landy MacKinnon and Duchene Rantanen.

Those were exactly the combinations I was thinking of after the pick.

Tough not to become euphoric about our future when seeing all the talent on this club.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I think it safe to assume that if the Avalanche have a good pick in front of the Panthers they will take the player the Panthers want. First Landy, then MacK, and now Rantanen. The Avalanche screwing up the Panther's plans since 1996!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He was #1 on my list of realistic forward options if all the D were gone. Ecstatic to get him!

If he has a good camp he could have an NHL impact this year. If he's not ready we'll have plenty of options on where to play him. Sending him to the AHL (and then to World Juniors) will be very appealing.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He was #1 on my list of realistic forward options if all the D were gone. Ecstatic to get him!

If he has a good camp he could have an NHL impact this year. If he's not ready we'll have plenty of options on where to play him. Sending him to the AHL (and then to World Juniors) will be very appealing.

He was my #1 guy from day 1, love the pick. Can't believe he was available at 10. Rantanen has been playing against men for 2 years now, I fully expect him to come into camp and earn a spot on the team. He won't be shell shocked by playing against men because he is used to it. I would not be surprised to see him end up on a line with Duchene and Iginla. At worst I see him on 3rd line with Mitchell and probably Grigs.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

here is the Rantanen pick with Sportsnet coverage if anyone wants to re-watch it.

This youtube channel has all 30 picks individually on it as well if you want to re-watch any other selection.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm thrilled about this pick. Just got back from a night of drinking.

What a player. I've coveted him all year but never believed the Avs would take a euro this high. What a couple of days for the team. This kid is such a good possession player, so strong along the boards, so good at making plays in traffic on the cycle, I think he'll be a great fit next to Matt.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I've been on the Rantanen bandwagon for a few months now, so I'm glad he was our pick. It was between Rantanen and Crouse for me, but I'm so glad we picked Rantanen. Crouse is an awesome player and seems like a great guy, but there's just something about Rantanen that drew me to him. I am beyond excited to see him wear the Avs apron sooner rather than later

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Guys Rantanen compares to a little better skating and a lot less dbag Corey Perry. So yeah I think it was a pretty decent pick. I don't want to place to those kind of expectations on him, but if everything goes right in his development and is given proper linemates like Landy, Mack, Dutchy that's his potential.

I think Rantanen is a reward from the Avs to Dutchy. He's exactly the type of guy Dutchy needs on his line to be at his absolute best. Just imagine if Rads comes over.

Grigs-Dutchy-Rantanen
Landy-Mack-Radulov
Soda-Bleackley-Rendulic
Mitchell-Compher-Everberg

We're all forgetting about Rendulic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad