Confirmed with Link: Mikko Koivu signed 1 yr/1.5 mil

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The only reason I'd be hesitant to pick the Jackets as a team to go deep would be that the East is just far far stronger right now. A middling team in the West could get to the Finals, wouldn't even have to be that great (possibly exemplified by Dallas). The Jackets are well-built for the playoffs, and if folks didn't know that before we took out the Leafs they should know it now.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
There is reviel that Koivu is planned to play in 3rd line with Jenner and Foligno. Slowest line at the league?

If the sign Granlund, I`m pretty sure they go Granlund - Koivu - Nyqvist/Jenner

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The only reason I'd be hesitant to pick the Jackets as a team to go deep would be that the East is just far far stronger right now. A middling team in the West could get to the Finals, wouldn't even have to be that great (possibly exemplified by Dallas). The Jackets are well-built for the playoffs, and if folks didn't know that before we took out the Leafs they should know it now.

So if I understand it correctly because the Jackets beat the Leafs who if I read between the lines are built for the playoffs (just ask any Leaf fan:sarcasm:) and then lost to Tampa Bay they are definitely built for the playoffs. :dunno:

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
Picked these up from a Selke debate at main boards. Looks good and Koivu even had a bad knee going on last season. Great pickup by Jarmo

Attachments

• EW8nJN3XgAARVxy.jpeg
    EW8nJN3XgAARVxy.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Selke-individual.png
    Selke-individual.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Top-Defensive-Forwards-Individual.jpg
    Top-Defensive-Forwards-Individual.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Picked these up from a Selke debate at main boards. Looks good and Koivu even had a bad knee going on last season. Great pickup by Jarmo

If you like defensive positioning and players, Koivu is the guy to follow. He might seem slow, but he is always there in time denying and blocking passes.

During that year (was it 2017) Bergeron had 40% d-zone starts while Koivu had 60%. It was about the same ratio throughout their career and tells how much Selke ISNT about defensive plays.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So if I understand it correctly because the Jackets beat the Leafs who if I read between the lines are built for the playoffs (just ask any Leaf fan:sarcasm:) and then lost to Tampa Bay they are definitely built for the playoffs. :dunno:

Name the only two teams that have made the postseason four years in a row and that have won postseason series in each of the last two years.

I'm with Koivu on this one, or in his words "you can ask any player".

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Name the only two teams that have made the postseason four years in a row and that have won postseason series in each of the last two years.

I'm with Koivu on this one, or in his words "you can ask any player".

2020 is different.
Like in HS football in Ohio where every team makes the playoffs and hence half the teams win a playoff game in the first round. Lot of teams at 6-4 beating 4-6 teams in the first round, is that really something to be proud of? We won a playoff game! Come on give them all trophies...
The series we (CBJ) won was us beating the team who was the #8 seed. That got us into the normal playoffs where we lost.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Again, late to the party on this one... Koivu isn't expected to be a top 6 guy anymore. He'll be our best faceoff centerman and it allows Jenner to go back to his biggest asset on the forecheck from the wing. There's also nothing that says he couldn't actually play 4C and if we land another top 6 player via trade when all the teams need to get Cap compliant then maybe you move Tex to 3C and push Nash back to wing. Either way, center ice is now stronger with PLD, Domi and Koivu (and Nash at this point). He takes Wennberg's position on the PK and is a true competitor that hates to lose more than he likes to win. That's a great asset at $1.5MM for 1 year in the bottom 6. Also lets guys like Foudy play in the AHL potentially to get his hands caught up with his feet at a little lower level than the NHL.

I like the move and it improves the team. Not sexy but certainly not a downgrade in my opinion.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah its pretty insane how good the East is. The only bad team on paper in our division is New Jersey, and even they've improved and will be better. Detroit and Ottawa will still be putrid, but those are the only two-three bad teams in the conference IMO.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
2020 is different.
Like in HS football in Ohio where every team makes the playoffs and hence half the teams win a playoff game in the first round. Lot of teams at 6-4 beating 4-6 teams in the first round, is that really something to be proud of? We won a playoff game! Come on give them all trophies...
The series we (CBJ) won was us beating the team who was the #8 seed. That got us into the normal playoffs where we lost.
Making the playoffs in and of itself is not impressive. Making it consistently (4 years in a row) is. It is also a necessary step in becoming a cup contender. Cup teams typically spend ~5 years where they just make the playoffs before finally breaking out.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
C'mon, no one has any guesses?

I'll go. Boston and the CBJ.

But using the word "postseason" puts a big asterisk on it to me. There were 6 teams within 2 points of each other fighting for the last 3 playoff spots. 3 of those teams also played less games than the CBJ. The CBJ were also trending down the couple weeks before the season was suspended. So whether the CBJ would have made the playoffs or not (in a normal-non Covid season) is purely a guess. So using a play-in series win as an example of some kind of playoff series win or accomplishment is somewhat misleading. But it fits your quiz.

And that's not to take away from what the entire organization accomplished last season with the team completely decimated by injuries or the accomplishment of beating Toronto. They deserve huge credit for last season.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Mikko had an "off the record" interview with a well known finnish hockey reporter about joining the CBJ where he told that major reason for joining was to be able to play under Tortorella. [https://www.is.fi/jaakiekko/art-2000006703273.html]

Mikko had asked around about the CBJ organization and knew that Tortorella has a strict rule that players will not call him "Mr. Tortorella".

In the first phonecall, Torts called him and welcomed him to the team, and after the presentation Mikko just replied "that's ok Mr. Tortorella", where the coach replied, "Don't ever fking call me Mr. Tortorella!" :laugh:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
There is reviel that Koivu is planned to play in 3rd line with Jenner and Foligno. Slowest line at the league?
Koivu might be slow on his skates, but he still gets where he is needed quite quickly. His hockey sense, especially defensively is exquisite.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would disagree. Koivu is not a useful player in producing offense anymore, but defensively he's still one of the best out there. So if used correctly, he can be very useful in such limited role. Add strong leadership qualities and he's pretty elite as 4C.

Elite 4C ought to be the motto of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad