Confirmed with Link: Mikko Koivu signed 1 yr/1.5 mil

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Haha, no, just hearing about Mikko from Wild fans.

Mikko is not the same defensively as he used to be, he'll still be good at it but he's so damn slow. He has two advantages on Wennberg - leadership and he's cheap. For that caphit I don't mind it because he'll probably be a good voice and maybe be able to play a bigger veteran role in the playoffs. I would not assume he'll be in our top 9 forwards.

He was literally a Selke finalist 2-3 years ago. Defensive ability just doesn't fall off a cliff. He's still elite defensively but he's slow as balls. So yeah, a completely sheltered defensive role.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was literally a Selke finalist 2-3 years ago. Defensive ability just doesn't fall off a cliff. He's still elite defensively but he's slow as balls. So yeah, a completely sheltered defensive role.

That sounds more like a 4th line C. Wennberg could have played against anyone, I don't think Koivu is going to take all of those minutes.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Texier - PLD - Atkinson
Nyqvist - Domi - Björkstrand
Granlund - Koivu - Nash
Foligno - Jenner - Grigorenko/Bemström

Jones - Pietrangelo
Werenski - Savard
Gavrikov - Harrington/Kukan

Looks pretty decent to me... :D

Pietro is going to Vegas and that offence screams elite shooter.

?!?!?!? - PLD - Tex

Nyquist - Domi - Bjorky

Cam - Grigorenko - Bem/Foudy

Jenner - Koivu - Foligno.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I asked for it here at the deadline. I guess I got my wish late ?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That sounds more like a 4th line C. Wennberg could have played against anyone, I don't think Koivu is going to take all of those minutes.

Koivu might not be able to keep up in the offensive zone, but he can still keep up in the defensive zone. I think Koivu can play against (most) top lines as the primary shutdown center.

Foligno-Koivu-Bemstrom sounds like a decent third line to me. With Grigorenko-Jenner-Nash as a 4th.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Koivu might not be able to keep up in the offensive zone, but he can still keep up in the defensive zone. I think Koivu can play against (most) top lines as the primary shutdown center.

Foligno-Koivu-Bemstrom sounds like a decent third line to me. With Grigorenko-Jenner-Nash as a 4th.

I`m amazed that some CBJ fans disapprove with this? Koivu at 1,5M is a VERY good addition. And no, I dont mean you

georgiabluejacket

Jun 6, 2002
Georgia
Texier - PLD - Atkinson
Nyqvist - Domi - Björkstrand
Granlund - Koivu - Nash
Foligno - Jenner - Grigorenko/Bemström

Jones - Pietrangelo
Werenski - Savard
Gavrikov - Harrington/Kukan

Looks pretty decent to me... :D

Looks like you play too much NHL 20 to me. You got our 3rd line center playing 1st line wing. Our shut down 4th line center playing wing. 3rd line wing playing center & 2 RHD playing on the top pair. Hell, why don't you put either Korpi or Elvis on our 3rd pairing D since positions have no purpose.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I`m amazed that some CBJ fans disapprove with this? Koivu at 1,5M is a VERY good addition. And no, I dont mean you

I think people are waiting for the "sexy" pickup. Koivu isn't a sexy pickup anymore. If this move came after, for example, a Taylor Hall signing, I think people would be pretty okay with it. But since this is first, after frustration yesterday about doing nothing and now stuff coming out about PLD and offer sheets. It's just timing.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Looks like you play too much NHL 20 to me. You got our 3rd line center playing 1st line wing. Our shut down 4th line center playing wing. 3rd line wing playing center & 2 RHD playing on the top pair. Hell, why don't you put either Korpi or Elvis on our 3rd pairing D since positions have no purpose.

I`m not following CBJ close enough to know every players position. I do think that Koivu replaces either the 3-4C to wing. Can you put together every NHL-team on their right positions?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I think people are waiting for the "sexy" pickup. Koivu isn't a sexy pickup anymore. If this move came after, for example, a Taylor Hall signing, I think people would be pretty okay with it. But since this is first, after frustration yesterday about doing nothing and now stuff coming out about PLD and offer sheets. It's just timing.

Well, ppl should be aware of that Koivu is quite liked in the league and that for example Granlund is pretty close with Koivu and Jarmo. This could be the chip that forces dominoes to fall? Jarmo is a pretty unpredictable guy. He is IMO a great GM

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This is out on the mains, and it looks like it has confirmation Mikko Koivu will bring a defensive presence down the middle and leadership to the young guys. Please bring Michael Granlund too...

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He will be in every D-zone faceoff and do a great job at that.

I don't think CBJ are the contender he was looking for, but Jarmo knows him well and probably convinced him in joining. He is not join for money or fame thats for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad