Player Discussion Mikko Koivu (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not looking to get rid of him. I'm just wondering what the plan will be when his current contract expires. He will be 35 by then and I wouldn't want to see the Wild get tied down with another multi-year contract for an aging veteran.

It all depends on how he plays for the remainder of this year and next year, but assuming that he gets 40 pts. next year and is relatively injury free we'd have to offer him at least a 2yr. @ 3M contract? I'm sure he'd understand that the team would have to save their money for signing the young guys heading into their primes? If he's wanting a 3/15M... Probably not.

It will get interesting if he scores over 50pts. this year AND next year, though. I mean, that's still pretty good. He'd be within his rights to be asking for good contract. Nice problem for the Wild to have.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Quick question... couldn't we extend Koivu next season and lower his cap hit by doing so? or does his full cap hit for this contract still remain?

If so, id be perfectly ok with like a 2 year extension if we can get his cap hit down to like 3-4m range. Limited no trade would fine with me too, if he wants 3 more years im also fine with that if there is no trade clause for the last year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
We're seeing this year that he can still be a very effective player.

I'm just hoping he retires with us, and doesn't end up anywhere else for the twilight of his career, whenever that may be.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We're seeing this year that he can still be a very effective player.

I'm just hoping he retires with us, and doesn't end up anywhere else for the twilight of his career, whenever that may be.

That would be nice, but if Lafleur can end up playing for the Nordiques( thenHabs arch rivals at one time), then anything can happen.

The main thing is that the team needs trump one player's needs.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Quick question... couldn't we extend Koivu next season and lower his cap hit by doing so? or does his full cap hit for this contract still remain?

If so, id be perfectly ok with like a 2 year extension if we can get his cap hit down to like 3-4m range. Limited no trade would fine with me too, if he wants 3 more years im also fine with that if there is no trade clause for the last year.

If I'm getting what you are saying, cap hit is determined by the current contract for the duration of the contract. Beyond trading and retaining or a buyout there is no way to adjust an existing cap hit until the contract ends.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
It's not like Koivu needs money anymore. I hope he will take one year deals after his contract ends.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's not like Koivu needs money anymore. I hope he will take one year deals after his contract ends.

But if he's obviously a better player than other guys, why should he take less of a contract? Age is just a number.

Look at what Backstrom did to the team. Barely played at all, and when he did was bad, and he still hung around for as long as he could to squeeze every last dime out of the organization. Does Koivu have the same agent?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Koivu will be 35 when his contract expires. Assuming he ends the contract somewhere near his current level of play (but it'll probably be a little below), and it's not a necessity money-wise that his spot has to go to an ELC player, he's looking at 2 x $4-$5m.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Koivu will be 35 when his contract expires. Assuming he ends the contract somewhere near his current level of play (but it'll probably be a little below), and it's not a necessity money-wise that his spot has to go to an ELC player, he's looking at 2 x $4-$5m.

I wouldn't do anything longer than 2 years (depending on his play next year). +35 contracts have a different set of rules.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

I think that's reasonable.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I wouldn't do anything longer than 2 years (depending on his play next year). +35 contracts have a different set of rules.

We can sign him to a new contract prior to his 35th birthday and avoid the 35+ contract rules. The rule kicks in based on when the contract was signed.

If he's still playing like he is... get him signed to a new deal before his birthday and let the guy retire as a member of the Wild!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Anyone else shocked at the forehand, top shelf snipe during the shootout last night? Where did that come from?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Anyone else shocked at the forehand, top shelf snipe during the shootout last night? Where did that come from?

Old dog, new tricks? Nothing else he's tried in the last 2 seasons has worked. Simple forehand shot to catch everyone off guard?

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland

Yeah, I was frightened! Like what the **** he is going to do.. when he was approaching the net from the right side. Guess Zucker stole his move.

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
Considering Zucker had just attempted his backhand move, it wasn't a big surprise that he went to the forehand.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
He has done many kinds of moves but it's just hard to remember all because he has been in so many ones.

This was not the first time he did this (after a 30 seconds youtube search):

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We can sign him to a new contract prior to his 35th birthday and avoid the 35+ contract rules. The rule kicks in based on when the contract was signed.

If he's still playing like he is... get him signed to a new deal before his birthday and let the guy retire as a member of the Wild!

Rule is based on when the contract takes effect. Flyers tried to claim the "based on when it was signed" with Pronger, didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad