Value of: Mikkel Boedker: Is it positive or negative?

Mikkel Boedker’s Value is...

• Total voters

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
This thread is an indication that many HFers have no idea how to value players. Negative value? Really?

Players have different value to different teams. I guarantee there are a few teams that would pass on Boedker if he hit waivers.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
People's thoughts on this player were swayed by last year's performance. From what I watched this year he played really well on the third line with the likes of kevin lebanc. Hed be a positive addition on most teams.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
But let's be honest, that's not his value, that's Hoffman's compromised one. That was some serious magic there by Wilson to have such a return in the end.

Still, it seems from what we've read that Ottawa had trade talks with both Florida and San Jose. Because Ottawa wanted a player and not just picks they ended talks with Florida. But surely, if Florida offered Ottawa what they wound up giving San Jose, then Ottawa talked to San Jose... someone in Ottawa could have put together "We could trade Hoffman to Florida for the picks they're offering, then trade some of those picks to San Jose for Boedker, get the player we want, and have more assets on the side".

If they could have, say, traded Hoff+7 to Fla for 2 4 5, then traded the 2 alone to SJ for Boedker, they would have. Which leads us to believe that, regardless of any comprimise in Hoffman's value, Boedker was viewed as being worth more than a second, contrary to this thread's suggested valuation.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Players have different value to different teams. I guarantee there are a few teams that would pass on Boedker if he hit waivers.

No doubt, but that's not relevant. What IS relevant is the highest offer any of the 30 other teams is willing to pay....and how badly so many posters mis-estimated that.

Reactions: minisharkpanther

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
there was no doubting he has positive value league wide. but some teams would pass up on him for free

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He’s a good player, but he’s overpaid. To me, he has ever so slightly negative value because of him regressing from being a 50 point guy. I’d take him for free if my team had the capspace, and hope he can rebound, but we don’t

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Cap space taken up and the notion of for free don't jive well with me. I get the point but a guy with a around 4 mil cap hit that is 1 dimmensional and less than a ppg is not a good for free add in my estimation. Unless you are a team like Ottawa needing cap more than avoiding it. I see him as a good PP player but that was it from what he racked up in Az and this year.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I thought Boedker was very good at times for the Sharks. Not really worth his 4M aav contract but not a waste of a roster spot either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
4 million for 40-50 pts is not out of line anymore. If he can hit that he's worth it. Good speed still with skill, disappointing he never broke out but still a good player.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
People's thoughts on this player were swayed by last year's performance. From what I watched this year he played really well on the third line with the likes of kevin lebanc. Hed be a positive addition on most teams.

You mean, that 22 year old that scored 40 points this year? I think Boedker is underrated, but let's not kid ourselves here. LaBanc can play. Hell, he was more consistent than Boedker was.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Positive for SJS, as they clear $4M in cap space.

Positive for Ottawa too, really. As they're not gonna come anywhere near the cap with Melnyk as their owner so they add a decent, albeit not great roster player. And Melnyk gets his jollies as he only pays him $4M over the next two years. Who knows, maybe they look at is as a savings they can use to actually open up their checkbook for EK.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

Positive for Ottawa too, really. As they're not gonna come anywhere near the cap with Melnyk as their owner so they add a decent, albeit not great roster player. And Melnyk gets his jollies as he only pays him $4M over the next two years. Who knows, maybe they look at is as a savings they can use to actually open up their checkbook for EK.

I'd hate the trade for most teams, but for Ottawa, Boedker is a cost effective player who can put up 50 points. Not ideal for Hoffman, obviously, but that ship sailed with his girlfriend doing what she did. Maybe her being with a division rival with pay off.

Boedker and a divided FLA locker room for Hoffman sounds like a better trade.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Honestly, the Ottawa positives is a pretty big stretch. Could 4 mil per year not bring in one of Perron, Bozak, Riley Nash, Comeau, Grabner, etc if free agency? This is why Boadker is not anywhere close to worth a 2nd, 4th, 5th. Because 4 million can get you a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Considering what Hoffman would have been worth at the deadline compared to this....feels bad.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Honestly, the Ottawa positives is a pretty big stretch. Could 4 mil per year not bring in one of Perron, Bozak, Riley Nash, Comeau, Grabner, etc if free agency? This is why Boadker is not anywhere close to worth a 2nd, 4th, 5th. Because 4 million can get you a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Considering what Hoffman would have been worth at the deadline compared to this....feels bad.

Is Melnyk gonna pay full price for any of those guys, though?

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
You mean, that 22 year old that scored 40 points this year? I think Boedker is underrated, but let's not kid ourselves here. LaBanc can play. Hell, he was more consistent than Boedker was.
wasn't trying to undermine LeBanc here, I'm a fan. Just wanted to bring to attention that Boedker played well with a good young player on a third line.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He really doesn't. He'd be just fine on a 3rd line. People forget that he just has 2 years left on his current contract.

No. His value is negative.
The guy's a possession metrics nightmare and a regular one as well. Add on the 4+ million... Boedker is not even in the same galaxy as Brouwer.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Cap hit of $4m is slightly negative for any team that cares about cap space.

Remaining salary of $3m/year is reasonable for his production and neutral for any team that doesn't care about cap space.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I don't know how Spotrac messed up their salary numbers, but Boedker is making $6m over the next two seasons, not $4m.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This thread is an indication that many HFers have no idea how to value players. Negative value? Really?

Or maybe HF users know exactly what they are talking about and we shouldnt defualt to valuing players how really dumb GMs value players. Like the value of Hall is NOT Larsson, the value of Erat is NOT Forsberg etc or vice versa.

The collective HF is smarter than the dumbest GMs

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Still, it seems from what we've read that Ottawa had trade talks with both Florida and San Jose. Because Ottawa wanted a player and not just picks they ended talks with Florida. But surely, if Florida offered Ottawa what they wound up giving San Jose, then Ottawa talked to San Jose... someone in Ottawa could have put together "We could trade Hoffman to Florida for the picks they're offering, then trade some of those picks to San Jose for Boedker, get the player we want, and have more assets on the side".

If they could have, say, traded Hoff+7 to Fla for 2 4 5, then traded the 2 alone to SJ for Boedker, they would have. Which leads us to believe that, regardless of any comprimise in Hoffman's value, Boedker was viewed as being worth more than a second, contrary to this thread's suggested valuation.

All in all, I agree with you but [I haven't read the whole thread and someone probably brought it up] it seems Dorion was told not to trade him (Hoffman) to a conference rival. If you need a transmission belt (which SJS was not but took all the advantages of being one), some value is going to that belt. Therefore not the real value of Boedker.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Cap space taken up and the notion of for free don't jive well with me. I get the point but a guy with a around 4 mil cap hit that is 1 dimmensional and less than a ppg is not a good for free add in my estimation. Unless you are a team like Ottawa needing cap more than avoiding it. I see him as a good PP player but that was it from what he racked up in Az and this year.
LOL wut? Are you saying the only way you'd take a 4 million a year, one diminsional winger is if he scores a ppg? You wouldn't take Patty Kane for free at 4 mil?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad