Value of: Mikkel Boedker: Is it positive or negative?

Mikkel Boedker’s Value is...

• Total voters

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Mikkel Boedker is 28 years old. He has 2 more years left on his contract; his cap hit is $4M for both and his salary in real dollars is $3M for both. Boedker scored 43 points in 84 games this season in the regular season and playoffs; 34 of which came at even strength. He plays either wing position and excels equally at either.

Is this player’s value positive or negative? If San Jose offered Mikkel Boedker to your team for future considerations, would you take him?

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Slightly positive, i.e. a 4th or 5th round pick. 10 points = roughly $1 million in the current era, based on recent FA signings. The fact that his actual salary is lower is a bonus for budget teams as well.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Positive/negative depending on the team. He's like our Brouwer. Depends on how you look at it, I'd trade Brouwer for him to see if they both just simply need a change of scenery.

Reactions: jw2

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He really doesn't. He'd be just fine on a 3rd line. People forget that he just has 2 years left on his current contract.

He is going to be bought out shortly in my opinion. He doesn't have value until he is on the scrap heap.

I would be interested in Boedker, Wings could put him on the third line with Nielsen and 2nd PP unit.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
He really doesn't. He'd be just fine on a 3rd line. People forget that he just has 2 years left on his current contract.

He makes $4.5M in real dollars and cap hit over the next two seasons. He’s got 19 goals and 30 assists for 49 points in his last 154 games, regular season+playoffs. A forward with those numbers and that price either has Selke level defense, or negative value. In Brouwer’s case, it’s the latter.

vHAB

Apr 21, 2007
Montreal
Do Sharks fans think the team will be shopping him? Does San Jose need cap space? Just curious what the context of the trade would be. If they're trying to clear salary, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a team or two looking at it as a buy low option. Were the habs in different circumstances to need/use him I wouldn't mind my team considering adding him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Overpaid, sure but it's not like he's a cap dump or has negative value.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Do Sharks fans think the team will be shopping him? Does San Jose need cap space? Just curious what the context of the trade would be. If they're trying to clear salary, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a team or two looking at it as a buy low option. Were the habs in different circumstances to need/use him I wouldn't mind my team considering adding him.

Honestly, this thread may or may not be entirely for the purpose of showing somebody else that Boedker’s contract wouldn’t be hard to move at all.

They’ve got more than enough cap space to re-sign Thornton, Hertl, and Tierney, and then upgrade on one of Dylan DeMelo or Justin Braun on the defense. The issue is that they’re probably going to be in the running for Tavares and Karlsson, and they may need to move Boedker’s salary in order to facilitate that.

Right now, they’ve got 7 wingers (Kane, Pavelski, Donskoi, Hertl/Couture, Boedker, Meier, LaBanc) that are clearly strictly top-9 players, and only 6 spots for them. One of those guys will have to be gone for next season as none of these guys are 4th liners. I actually really like Boedker and if I were a team with ~$4M in cap space looking for a solid 2nd/3rd line playmaking winger, I would be all over Boedker. But that really isn’t the case for San Jose. They have more than enough top-9 wingers and Boedker is the most expendable relative to his cap hit and we might need every penny to acquire one of Tavares/Karlsson or another superstar level player if they become available.

Reactions: V HAB

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I'm not sure I'd take him for free if the Sharks retained half

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Better year but Sharks won’t be able to move him so he stays and they hope he Atleast gives them the same numbers

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I would give you a second in 2019 for him at 1 million retained. If the leafs had kept the pick from plekanec deal I would have given you that for him at 3 million. But we only have one second now and I dont want to trade it.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I would give you a second in 2019 for him at 1 million retained. If the leafs had kept the pick from plekanec deal I would have given you that for him at 3 million. But we only have one second now and I dont want to trade it.

Rather give you the 2nd in 2019 or Chris Tierney and have you give us Gardiner.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Rather give you the 2nd in 2019 or Chris Tierney and have you give us Gardiner.
So Gardiner for Boedkor+2019 2nd/Tierney. Sorry but For Gardiner I would want a 1st+ a B prospect. Would not deal him for wingers even though the two you offered are useful and valuable players for a winning team. Leafs just cant ve trading for wingers when we want to give guys like grundstrom, kapanen, johnsson, brown , leivo(m/b) more oppritunites and minutes in game. I would rather re sign Gardiner tbh then deal him but who knows what leaf managment are going to do.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So Gardiner for Boedkor+2019 2nd/Tierney. Sorry but For Gardiner I would want a 1st+ a B prospect. Would not deal him for wingers even though the two you offered are useful and valuable players for a winning team. Leafs just cant ve trading for wingers when we want to give guys like grundstrom, kapanen, johnsson, brown , leivo(m/b) more oppritunites and minutes in game. I would rather re sign Gardiner tbh then deal him but who knows what leaf managment are going to do.

That’s totally fair. Personally, depending on what prospect from the Sharks pool you consider to be a “B”, I might do that.

Management might trade him based on one bad game 7 but if Dubas is smart, he will keep him.

Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That’s totally fair. Personally, depending on what prospect from the Sharks pool you consider to be a “B”, I might do that.

Management might trade him based on one bad game 7 but if Dubas is smart, he will keep him.
A B prospect to me is some one like Jeremy bracco. He is a guy who has put up good numbers in the ahl with limited minutes. He has a pretty high ceiling but is a few years away from being a full time nhler. Right now he has not done enough to show to be a blue chip prospect but next season the hope is he has a ppg season in the ahl and become a high end prospect. Do you guys have a prospect who you have hope developes into a quality nhl player but is 2-3 years away?
The greedy part of me offers you Gardiner+2nd(2018 or 2019 your choice) for Tierney plus your 2019 top 5 protected 1st. Sharks most likely dont bite though to that deal.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
A B prospect to me is some one like Jeremy bracco. He is a guy who has put up good numbers in the ahl with limited minutes. He has a pretty high ceiling. Right now he has not done enough to show to be a blue chip prospect but next season the hope is he has a ppg season in the ahl and become a high end prospect. Do you guys have a prospect who you have hope developes into a quality nhl player but is 2-3 years away?
The greedy part of me offers you Gardiner+2nd(2018 or 2019 your choice) for Tierney plus your 2019 top 5 protected 1st. Sharks most likely dont bite though to that deal.

They already gave up their 2019 first for Evander Kane. Rudolfs Balcers is a pretty good prospect right now, probably fits the criteria well; not sure if I would trade him and #21OV for Gardiner but I’m leaning towards no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad