Injury Report: Mikheyev out minimum 3 months

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
My understanding is the severed tendons are more of an issue than the cut/artery. I could 100% be in the wrong here. Hopefully he can remain relatively active during this, which still wouldn't leave him anywhere near playing shape.

Yup. I had a buddy who sliced a tendon in his forearm. These things are taut like piano strings. They had to open up his arm and dig up and down to grab the tendon ends to stretch them back together to repair it. Like literally reaching under his skin with long needle nosed pliers to grab the ends of the tendon and pull them tight. The scar he had was hideous. He actually got addicted to opioids over this and eventually died. No joke.

Reactions: The Missing Piece

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Yup. I had a buddy who sliced a tendon in his forearm. These things are taut like piano strings. They had to open up his arm and dig up and down to grab the tendon ends to stretch them back together to repair it. Like literally reaching under his skin with long needle nosed pliers to grab the ends of the tendon and pull them tight. The scar he had was hideous. He actually got addicted to opioids over this and eventually died. No joke.
That escalated quickly

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
Yikes!!

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
After reading some of the posts here, I will be glad if he is back next season and regains 100% of his ability.............

........ forget about coming back this season!

Yikes is right! :m-eek:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
That is very sad. Pain is just terrible. We all do some really bizarre things to combat pain to our own detriment. No judgments. RIP to your buddy.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Hope he gets better soon. Unfortunately for him, it was looking like it was going to be a big season for him (same amount of points as Kadri before he went down).

Wondering what he does after this season ends since Leafs only have him for this year. Does he sign a long-term deal with a team (most likely us) or does he go for another cheap 1-year contract?

I don't think any team will be giving him a long term contract, too risky. Real small sample size of play + coming off a serious injury.

I can see him taking another short term deal with us.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That's heartbreaking, wasn't expecting that ending.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I wouldn't go more than 2 years tbh. We have a lot if wingers in the system fighting for a spot, Robertson will likely be here by then if all goes well. No need to go long term on a guy that's played just 39 NHL games and will likely always be a middle of the lineup guy.

Less of a resume than either of Johnsson or Kapanen as well.

I dunno I see Micheyev as a top 6 guy on this team...think about it, he is still adjusting to the North American game, he has the skillset that he can play with a Matthews and Marner while still being able to slide into a bottom 6 role easily...I'd gamble on his resume assuming his wrist heals well and he's physically ok

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
Well let's hope this doesn't happen to soup. Jesus…Sorry about your buddy...

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I dunno I see Micheyev as a top 6 guy on this team...think about it, he is still adjusting to the North American game, he has the skillset that he can play with a Matthews and Marner while still being able to slide into a bottom 6 role easily...I'd gamble on his resume assuming his wrist heals well and he's physically ok
Maybe he is a top 6 guy on this team, but he's also that guy you replace every couple years once they get too expensive.

If he breaks out in those two years and becomes Panarin then it will suck losing him, but the worst thing we can do is lock ourselves into another Zaitsev contract after a few NHL games.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Maybe he is a top 6 guy on this team, but he's also that guy you replace every couple years once they get too expensive.

If he breaks out in those two years and becomes Panarin then it will suck losing him, but the worst thing we can do is lock ourselves into another Zaitsev contract after a few NHL games.
Zaitsev wasn't very good in his rookie year, but did that in competition and usage that you would have expected him to be worse in, so he was projected to be better in less difficult circumstances and we gambled.

Mikheyev has just been good, no qualifiers or projection.

I would really want to see that he was back to 100% with the wrist, but if we have him 4 or 5 years I'd be fine with it if that got us a good aav.

He won't be Panarin either, maybe something like a David Backes caliber career

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hope he gets better soon. Unfortunately for him, it was looking like it was going to be a big season for him (same amount of points as Kadri before he went down).

Wondering what he does after this season ends since Leafs only have him for this year. Does he sign a long-term deal with a team (most likely us) or does he go for another cheap 1-year contract?

I imagine he'll get a deal similar to what Kapanen and AJ got. Probably less AAV though because of the injury.. Maybe in the $2.75 mill range for a few years.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
If I could afford a real jersey - it would definitely be a Mikheyev home jersey!!! Heal quick kid, we love you! Whenever I drink .. eat soup - I do it for You!!!

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

One thing a scout notices about soup
He doesnt do the pull up curl and plays like a big man should
Its the way the leafs hope korshov would've developed
He ll have a good 5 years in this league

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

I'm very sorry for you and your friend.

I had a family member with a torn achilees tendon, and the procedure is similar. The scar is almost heelpad to the back of the knee. It's just so difficult to put things back together when their natural state isn't relaxed but taught. Tendons in a wrist or ankle are designed to carry so much weight, they need to be strong.

That said, I'm no doctor, and have no idea how serious or invasive things got for Mikheyev. I just hope he has a full and safe recovery.

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Great to see him skaying. Surprised he's using a stick. I heard that after an injury like his, it takes a while just to be able to grip things. Pretty encouraging. Didnt think he'd be back at all, but hopefully he will.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Cast off in 6 weeks WOW. Incredible healing power. and back on ice. even more impressive. clearly tendons not severed. maybe it was only the artery?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Holy smokes that's awesome, we might actually have him back this year!

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I hope they didn't just Souperimpose that picture of him on the ice to get us excited

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad