Injury Report: Mikheyev out minimum 3 months

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
His agent said "a more accurate timeline will be provided in 90 days". I don't think you're getting an update anytime soon.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised to see him for the playoffs. If not first round maybe second if we get there.

Would be a huge get unexpectedly.

Reactions: teddygmr

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised to see him for the playoffs. If not first round maybe second if we get there.

Would be a huge get unexpectedly.
It would be a huge stretch to go from no physical activity for 60-90 days with a brachial artery cut (healing period), then light activity, to skating and then to bring back a guy in playoffs with 3 months off. I guess it is possible depending how bad the cut was which could shorten healing time but not sure either side would want to. I mean this is a major artery providing blood to your hands.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It really depends what all was cut , theres a nerve that runs into the thumb that if it was cut could be a career ender , mine was cut in 1987 and still causes issues with grip and sharp pain up the arm today , grabbing something in the wrong position is like smashing my funny bone with a hammer . Muscle and arteries heal real well but nerves are tricky and extremely slow to mend if at all .

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It really depends what all was cut , theres a nerve that runs into the thumb that if it was cut could be a career ender , mine was cut in 1987 and still causes issues with grip and sharp pain up the arm today , grabbing something in the wrong position is like smashing my funny bone with a hammer . Muscle and arteries heal real well but nerves are tricky and extremely slow to mend if at all .
Completely agree. I once tore my shoulder open on a hit. The bones, muscles and tissues healed fine. But that damn brachial nerve took forever to grow back a few inches and even today sometimes I get a shot of pain when I throw something. Out for 5 months. For first month I could not even put on a shirt or comb my hair myself.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
it all depends on if his wrist is mobile or not

sometimes after this kind of injury you need to go through a tooooooooon of physiotherapy

there's a chance he finished the 90 days and everything is good

but there's a far greater chance he'll need physio just to get motion back to where it was because a tendon was cut

like as far as i know that 90 days is just the time he has to keep his cast on to let the artery heal and that's why they won't really know until it comes off and they see how mobile his wrist is and how much power he can apply to his hand. Best case is he becomes week to week when the 90 days are up.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
My mom is an occupational therapist. She told me 3 months is the minimum rest time BEFORE they go into physiotherapy. So they will better know his health in 3 months. Would be very unlikely he can play NHL hockey at all this year.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
it all depends on if his wrist is mobile or not

sometimes after this kind of injury you need to go through a tooooooooon of physiotherapy

there's a chance he finished the 90 days and everything is good

but there's a far greater chance he'll need physio just to get motion back to where it was because a tendon was cut

like as far as i know that 90 days is just the time he has to keep his cast on to let the artery heal and that's why they won't really know until it comes off and they see how mobile his wrist is and how much power he can apply to his hand. Best case is he becomes week to week when the 90 days are up.
Well if cast stays on for full 90 days then consider it next fall. I had heard that maybe it could come off in 60 days. Even then it is remote.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
It would be a huge stretch to go from no physical activity for 60-90 days with a brachial artery cut (healing period), then light activity, to skating and then to bring back a guy in playoffs with 3 months off. I guess it is possible depending how bad the cut was which could shorten healing time but not sure either side would want to. I mean this is a major artery providing blood to your hands.
My understanding is the severed tendons are more of an issue than the cut/artery. I could 100% be in the wrong here. Hopefully he can remain relatively active during this, which still wouldn't leave him anywhere near playing shape.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
His tendon was severed. He's not going to play again this season. Hopefully with months of rehab he won't lose any function in the arm.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Hoping we can sign him to another cheap 1-2 year deal.

He was playing so well before the injury, such a damn shame.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Hope he gets better soon. Unfortunately for him, it was looking like it was going to be a big season for him (same amount of points as Kadri before he went down).

Wondering what he does after this season ends since Leafs only have him for this year. Does he sign a long-term deal with a team (most likely us) or does he go for another cheap 1-year contract?

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Can't wait to see him back next year playing on one of the top 2 lines, but permanently this time.

Plug him in on the LW with either:
Matthews-Marner
or
Tavares-Nylander
... and you've got a guy who I bet could score 70-80 points while killing penalties and causing the opposition fits with his size/speed/tenacity.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
If he's cleared there's no way you can keep a guy like this out in the playoffs. Up to game speed or not he's a workhorse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad