Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
It's probably safe to assume that Sergachev and Drouin will both be equally disappointing to their respective fanbases over their careers.

Sergachev is an absolute disaster in his own zone. Both guys seem to have an incredible pool of talent, but the brain of a houseplant.
That just isn't correct at all. Risto is awful in his zone, Phaneuf is awful in his own zone, Sergachev is just kind of average.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That just isn't correct at all. Risto is awful in his zone, Phaneuf is awful in his own zone, Sergachev is just kind of average.
I agree that the assessment isn't correct because it's too early to tell with Sergachev, but I think he only gets to "average" defensively on his good nights, and, over all, balances out below average. I think the goal with him might be to just get him to a point where he can be consistently average in his own end, while blossoming into one of the better point producing defensemen in the game.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Even strength, he is actually rather good! I'm curious about his zone exit numbers, too. That said, it feels like when he makes a gaffe, its like... in the middle of a line change when hes by himself and has 2-3 guys bearing down on him, and turnovers in that context almost always end up as goals unless 88 does something magical.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
My biggest knock on his defensive play is this: When an opposing player comes roaring down his side he completely backs up, softly swinging his stick around, backs up further until he almost bumps backwards into Vasi. He gives up so much space for the opposition at times and I can't understand why. I don't expect him to level them like a Scott Stevens or Rob Blake but please, make it somewhat tough for the opponent and limit their space and passing options (translation: do something).

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Even strength, he is actually rather good! I'm curious about his zone exit numbers, too. That said, it feels like when he makes a gaffe, its like... in the middle of a line change when hes by himself and has 2-3 guys bearing down on him, and turnovers in that context almost always end up as goals unless 88 does something magical.

My biggest knock on his defensive play is this: When an opposing player comes roaring down his side he completely backs up, softly swinging his stick around, backs up further until he almost bumps backwards into Vasi. He gives up so much space for the opposition at times and I can't understand why. I don't expect him to level them like a Scott Stevens or Rob Blake but please, make it somewhat tough for the opponent and limit their space and passing options (translation: do something).

Here's Sergy's possession exit numbers (and break up of entries%) compared to the rest of the Bolts. It kinda reinforces what y'all have been saying. He's not that good at preventing entries into the zone and is slightly under average at exiting the zone with possession. In the offensive zone he's a beast for sure, but he could use some improvement in his defensive abilities.
ControllingBlueLine.jpg

Tableau created by Sean Tierney from Corey Sznajder's data @ShutdownLine.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he takes a step forward this year, our D might actually be better than last season. If he doesn't, I'm not sure he's on the team next year, depending on his contract demands. Next year we're gonna have to make some tough decisions.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Sergachev is 21 years old most defensemen do not hit there stride until 24. Now if you want to compare him with Heddy yeah hes not as good but damn Heddy has been spectacular since day one. Young defensemen make gaffs all of them. Sergachev can play top 4 now and he will get better.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Sergachev is 21 years old most defensemen do not hit there stride until 24. Now if you want to compare him with Heddy yeah hes not as good but damn Heddy has been spectacular since day one. Young defensemen make gaffs all of them. Sergachev can play top 4 now and he will get better.
Not really. Hedman took his time to develop. He didn't become a #1 dman until 2013-14.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not really. Hedman took his time to develop. He didn't become a #1 dman until 2013-14.
I did not in any way imply Segi was a#1. My point is many are expecting Heddy type progress from him. Hedman was anointed as the future #1 from day one, and yes like all players adjusting to the NHL it took him a little time. But he made it quicker than the average defenseman 12, 13 and 15 really hurt Hedman reailizing his full potential due to games missed. IMO he would have been a Norris candidate earlier if he had not lost those games. Now you may disagree that he was not spectacular the first three years but how many 18 19 and 20 year olds play over 20 minutes per game at that age?? His first year was over 20 and his third year over 23 minutes a game. Also remember when Heddy came in this was not a very good team The team only produced 80 points his rookie year the goaltending was horrific too. Hedman with 20 points was 8th on the team in points too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It's not really about that. It's about the cap crunch next year and whether or not his demands are a lot bigger than his actual, current value to a team in win-now mode.

Between him, Cirelli, Cernak, and others, we're gonna have some real decisions. If Serg is asking for 4m, which isn't unreasonable, but has yet to really crack the top 4... we probably have to get some value for him.

Reactions: Rschmitz

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
It's not really about that. It's about the cap crunch next year and whether or not his demands are a lot bigger than his actual, current value to a team in win-now mode.

Between him, Cirelli, Cernak, and others, we're gonna have some real decisions. If Serg is asking for 4m, which isn't unreasonable, but has yet to really crack the top 4... we probably have to get some value for him.
Unless Point takes a bridge to wait for the TV deal... :sarcasm:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Unless Point takes a bridge to wait for the TV deal... :sarcasm:
I don't even think it'll matter. We still have a lot of money going out next year. Good problems. Too many prospects over-achieved. But that puts pressure on Sergachev to live up to the hype sooner rather than later. Even with 30 points, he wasn't close to Cernak last year. So, if that trend continues, and we have to choose which of them to pay...

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

"Sergy's taken positive steps each year," Lightning head coach Jon Cooper said. "People have got to remember how young he was when he first came into the league. He's still a young kid now [21 years old]. For his development and how far he's come so far, it's been awesome to see. And now it's time to start taking some more steps. Every year, his minutes have gotten more, his responsibilities have gotten some more, and he's found out he can play both the right and left side. Are there going to be opportunities here for him? No question. It's hard to sit here and say where we're going to pencil everybody in in these exact spots, but there will be ample time for Sergy to get reps with Hedman, and we've just got to go from there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad