Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
reavo3u9oc671.jpg

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Sergachev hasn't been right since taking that stick to the ribs/front during the Florida series. He seems to shy away from hits since then. Plus, he hasn't done his signature side-step move when carrying the puck. Something isn't right. It's a little premature to throw him off the bus, he has always battled hard for us. My guess, he got hurt and is fighting through it. Shoot, seems most of our defensive core is fighting off injury these playoffs. Would explain the lack of offensive production from our defense these playoffs.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
And y'all wanna get rid of McDonagh???

Serg is great and still developing but these playoffs have shown he isn't quite ready yet. Could be playing hurt but man he hasn't been good these playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Not ready to sell high on him yet but I'm slightly concerned that we are seeing "what he is" because there hasn't been a heck of a lot of progress since about year 3. I mean... McDonagh goes down we say "Thank goodness for Cernak." Cernak goes down and no one says "Thank goodness for Sergachev" Now, it was about this time in his career Hedman exploded so I wanna see if Sergachev is gonna do it first.

He needs to find his "take over the game" gear because if he has one, I'm not seeing it.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Uhhh... the Kings better get their ass serious about that. Unless they are offering a haul or have a 3rd team in there, JBB needs to hang up the phone. I know we're gonna have to address our financial situation no matter what this offseason and have to figure out a way to restock the cupboard, but unless we're gonna yield something like the Rays did for Chris Archer to the Pirates, there's no sense in doing this deal. If we go back to back it would make a hard choice like this that much easier and allow us to stand our ground for a better deal too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not ready to sell high on him yet but I'm slightly concerned that we are seeing "what he is" because there hasn't been a heck of a lot of progress since about year 2. I mean... McDonagh goes down we say "Thank goodness for Cernak." Cernak goes down and no one says "Thank goodness for Sergachev" Now, it was about this time in his career Hedman exploded so I wanna see if Sergachev is gonna do it first.

He needs to find his "take over the game" gear because if he has one, I'm not seeing it.

It was Year 3 that he made a big step. Year 2 was atrocious.

I think we need to be patient. He still shows flashes of greatness, and sometimes can string several strong games together. He's a third pairing guy for now, so there's no rush.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Uhhh... the Kings better get their ass serious about that. Unless they are offering a haul or have a 3rd team in there, JBB needs to hang up the phone. I know we're gonna have to address our financial situation no matter what this offseason and have to figure out a way to restock the cupboard, but unless we're gonna yield something like the Rays did for Chris Archer to the Pirates, there's no sense in doing this deal. If we go back to back it would make a hard choice like this that much easier and allow us to stand our ground for a better deal too.
if the Kings are serious in a deal im looking at Turcotte + a 1st next year

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Hes having a bad playoffs but in no way shape or form wanna trade this kid. He's still developing well and shows glimpses of true #1. If all goes according to plan he's the heir to Hedman. Why the hell would you wanna give up on him now.

He's part of our Big 4 on D. I don't wanna move any of those big 4

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Hes having a bad playoffs but in no way shape or form wanna trade this kid. He's still developing well and shows glimpses of true #1. If all goes according to plan he's the heir to Hedman. Why the hell would you wanna give up on him now.

Agreed, he is still only 22 and I think he will be fine.

Reactions: The Gongshow

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It was Year 3 that he made a big step. Year 2 was atrocious.

I think we need to be patient. He still shows flashes of greatness, and sometimes can string several strong games together. He's a third pairing guy for now, so there's no rush.

Went back and edited. Didn't mean a 2 there. Thank you, very good catch

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019

He is 99% injured. He never looked so lost on the ice,even at the first year with us. He wasnt very good defensivly in first year,he lacked of experience,but I never saw him so lost.I think this is reason of his not good games right now,and all talks about trading him are pointless. He will be,no he already is much better than we see from him now,he just needs to be more healthy.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I'll eat my crow if Sergachev serves it to me but I'm still waiting for the next step.

For perspective: Hedman really got the hang of it and took his big step in about 220-250 games combined regular season and playoffs and was thrown into the pressure cooker. Cernak is barely at 215 combined and a legitimate top 4 players. Sergachev is at 345, is still very much sheltered and makes twice as much as Cernak. His amazing upside has spared him a lot of grief and I'm not ready to give up on him. Not just yet.

But what do you do if he goes about another 100 games and is still doing this? Either the coaching staff needs to change how they're developing him or Sergachev himself needs to change. We can't afford that to happen.

Edit: if it turns out he's hurt I'll take my crow with butter, salt, garlic and more salt

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He is 99% injured. He never looked so lost on the ice,even at the first year with us. He wasnt very good defensivly in first year,he lacked of experience,but I never saw him so lost.I think this is reason of his not good games right now,and all talks about trading him are pointless. He will be,no he already is much better than we see from him now,he just needs to be more healthy.
In the first round there were a few panthers who targeted him and hit him every chance they got, could have caused an injury, but none the less they had Serg spooked, the coughed over the puck a lot and would blindly shoot the puck away in hopes of not getting hit.

Same thing is happening this round. He's too busy looking over his shoulder trying to not get hit than making the play. Blindly passing the puck around the boards to avoid getting hit by that 4th line.

He looked great in the Carolina series where he wasn't targeted as much.

Reactions: Peacefool

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'll eat my crow if Sergachev serves it to me but I'm still waiting for the next step.

For perspective: Hedman really got the hang of it and took his big step in about 220-250 games combined regular season and playoffs and was thrown into the pressure cooker. Cernak is barely at 215 combined and a legitimate top 4 players. Sergachev is at 345, is still very much sheltered and makes twice as much as Cernak. His amazing upside has spared him a lot of grief and I'm not ready to give up on him. Not just yet.

But what do you do if he goes about another 100 games and is still doing this? Either the coaching staff needs to change how they're developing him or Sergachev himself needs to change. We can't afford that to happen.

Edit: if it turns out he's hurt I'll take my crow with butter, salt, garlic and more salt

With our lack of RD depth Cernak was thrown straight into the fire. He's a big physical body which helps but he's really developed wonderfully. It helps his linemate is McDonagh and the leadership he brings.

Serg shows great offensive glimpses, but isn't too shabby in his own end. He has the luxury of having both McDonagh and the best freakin' dman on the planet ahead of him in the lineup. He can learn from both of them as well as gets shifts with both of them. Serg gets his minutes regardless of the parings, he still gets the 17-20 minute range, which for a 22 year old is solid.

Hedman didn't become the dman he was until like 2014/15 when he took big strides. Defenceman take a while to develop. Serg doesn't need to be rushed, imo. He took a big step this season and looked like a boneafied #2, just has been off these playoffs.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
In the first round there were a few panthers who targeted him and hit him every chance they got, could have caused an injury, but none the less they had Serg spooked, the coughed over the puck a lot and would blindly shoot the puck away in hopes of not getting hit.

Same thing is happening this round. He's too busy looking over his shoulder trying to not get hit than making the play. Blindly passing the puck around the boards to avoid getting hit by that 4th line.

He looked great in the Carolina series where he wasn't targeted as much.
Maybe something happened after that Hornqvist hit,or as someone wrote here,maybe something with his ribs,that he feels big pain after hitting. But I dont think that he afraids. Yes he afraids of hits now,but its not something with mentality to do, i think its injury

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Maybe something happened after that Hornqvist hit,or as someone wrote here,maybe something with his ribs,that he feels big pain after hitting. But I dont think that he afraids. Yes he afraids of hits now,but its not something with mentality to do, i think its injury
Very, very true. We've seen this guy get in the dirty areas and stick up for his team and not afraid to cause or get in scrums. He has a bit of an edge/pest in him. Injury would make sense, because he's causing a lot of turnovers from being rattled by hits

Reactions: Peacefool

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
With our lack of RD depth Cernak was thrown straight into the fire. He's a big physical body which helps but he's really developed wonderfully. It helps his linemate is McDonagh and the leadership he brings.

Serg shows great offensive glimpses, but isn't too shabby in his own end. He has the luxury of having both McDonagh and the best freakin' dman on the planet ahead of him in the lineup. He can learn from both of them as well as gets shifts with both of them. Serg gets his minutes regardless of the parings, he still gets the 17-20 minute range, which for a 22 year old is solid.

Hedman didn't become the dman he was until like 2014/15 when he took big strides. Defenceman take a while to develop. Serg doesn't need to be rushed, imo. He took a big step this season and looked like a boneafied #2, just has been off these playoffs.

Cernak's story is pretty abnormal. He consistently out-performed better prospects in training camp. Poise and maturity have always been among his best qualities.

I don't think it's fair to expect that from Sergachev (which obviously you don't, but some do). It's been a two steps forward, one step back, kind of development. But that's more normal than what we saw with Cernak.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
From this even keeled LA fan, that is a fair price they should be willing to pay.

Wait, for Sergachev? Sheesh. I'm seeing a lot of Kings fans refusing that for Eichel. I'd have just been happy with a lottery ball, a middling prospect and a really decent prospect with a lot of upside from a 3rd team in the trade. But Turcotte? Be still my beating heart

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Wait, for Sergachev? Sheesh. I'm seeing a lot of Kings fans refusing that for Eichel. I'd have just been happy with a lottery ball, a middling prospect and a really decent prospect with a lot of upside from a 3rd team in the trade. But Turcotte? Be still my beating heart
Please forgive me for offending you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad