Mike Yeo Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
The Wild will never be bad enough to fall into the McDavid and Eichel conversation. Even if they did, this is Minnesota sports. We're not winning the lottery.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The Wild will never be bad enough to fall into the McDavid and Eichel conversation. Even if they did, this is Minnesota sports. We're not winning the lottery.

Exactly, stop getting your hopes up people.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I would really love to know how anyone can come to the conclusion that this team could be bad enough the rest of the year to grab one of the best draft picks available.

We all know that's not going to happen.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
I would really love to know how anyone can come to the conclusion that this team could be bad enough the rest of the year to grab one of the best draft picks available.

This team needs a game breaking center in the worst way. Where do you find those? In the top 5 of the draft. So we'll pick between 10-14th. Draft a guy that takes 3-4 years to develop and never amounts to super star status.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley

While I do not like that this conversation is already happening, this can be a reality. Parise and/or Suter get injured long-term and this team bites the dust. Fast.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Are coaching contracts guaranteed? I always wonder this when they fire a recently re-signed coach (like in Pitts, recently). Perhaps the guaranteed part of the contract differs from contract to contract?

Slick Willy*

I'm never really big on firing coaches and don't like it when people are out of control with it but at this point I think they should think about kicking Yeo to the curb. He really is out of his depth I believe, at this point.

Just a shame Laviolette is off the market now though.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Are coaching contracts guaranteed? I always wonder this when they fire a recently re-signed coach (like in Pitts, recently). Perhaps the guaranteed part of the contract differs from contract to contract?

Yes. When a coach is fired he still gets paid. If he signs with another team, he gets paid any difference if the contract he signed with another team is worth less than the team that fired him.

For instance, say coach A from team A makes $1.5M a year. He gets fired midway through the season and signs as an assistant for $600K with team B. Team A continues to pay him the $900k difference until the contract runs out.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Yes. When a coach is fired he still gets paid. If he signs with another team, he gets paid any difference if the contract he signed with another team is worth less than the team that fired him.

For instance, say coach A from team A makes $1.5M a year. He gets fired midway through the season and signs as an assistant for $600K with team B. Team A continues to pay him the $900k difference until the contract runs out.
Wow. So this is in the CBA? I've read that coaches aren't members of the nhlpa...

Leipold probably has a million reasons not to fire Yeo then.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If Yeo is fired soon, honestly i doubt he would be i think the season would end up in the ******* before he is fired which sucks for us. But if he were fired now there isn't a whole lot to turn to in terms of who the coach should be. Wilson is the only guy on our staff who might get an interim tag, other than him maybe Iowa's coach.

The one name I can see GMCF bringing in is Bylsma who has success in the NHL and wouldn't be a first time coach, but even he kind of fizzled when it mattered in the post season and he had Crosby.

I'd be ok with giving Dan a shot at this roster for a bit, but Tippet would be my top choice even tho he should't be fired.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Id love Tippett, Id also like to see bylsma the rest of this year if possible. At some point, yeo has to realize that if he doesn't man up and get on the veterans case, he won't be coaching anymore. It also seems like he's unwilling to make changes / adapt until he absolutely has no choice

Brodin Show

Aug 15, 2014
Honestly, all we need is a bad injury to Parise and we are right in the McEichel sweepstakes. He's the heart of this team and without him, we would be in even deeper trouble. Would end Yeo real quick.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Honestly, all we need is a bad injury to Parise and we are right in the McEichel sweepstakes. He's the heart of this team and without him, we would be in even deeper trouble. Would end Yeo real quick.

So you think losing your top player to injury would get the coach fired, gives him a free pass

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Could be 8th and win the lotto. You never know.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Sure, you can win the lottery as long as youre a non playoff team.

But that's not how Minnesota sports works.

Have the Wolves ever won the lottery, or even moved up? I think I've read somewhere that was the case despite all the times they've been eligible (which is probably every year of their existence). Of course that's the NBA so take it as seriously as you choose.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Have the Wolves ever won the lottery, or even moved up? I think I've read somewhere that was the case despite all the times they've been eligible (which is probably every year of their existence). Of course that's the NBA so take it as seriously as you choose.

Nope, I think the wolves may have moved back more than they've moved up in the lottery.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
:amazed:

The statistical likelihood of that must be in the trillions as far as odds are concerned. They are always at the bottom.

From an article in may

The Wolves have never improved on their draft position in 15 lottery appearances (does not include the 1999 draft when they owned the Nets' lottery pick as a result of the Stephon Marbury trade). Minnesota has fallen back in the order eight times. It has become an annual refrain.

In 2010 the wolves had a 55.8% chance at a top 3 pick and ended up at #4. In 2011 they had a 25% chance at the #1 (the highest % you can have) and got #2 and picked a bust, meanwhile #1 is a 2X All-star.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Statistically, it's almost unbelievable to me

Yeah...

Since the lottery was introduced into the NBA draft in 1985 (where there were also accusations that the league fixed the lottery so that Patrick Ewing would go 1st overall to the Knicks), only 4 teams with the worst (or tied for worst) record have won the 1st overall pick in the lottery. The last team to do that was Orlando in 2004.

4 teams in almost 30 years

Just another reason to believe that the NBA is just as fixed as WWE. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad