NFL: Mike Tirico leaves ESPN, and other NFL related broadcaster stuff

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Huh, didn't know that. I guess I've always known Don Orsillo. I didn't really start watching NESN games until like 2010 because we never got the station and it was then I learned about streaming. But:

Sean and Don do sound a lot alike. The difference is Sean never had a problem needling the team or management, which is why he got the boot.

Sean and Eck in the booth together would have been the FO's worst nightmare the last two years. :laugh:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sean and Don do sound a lot alike. The difference is Sean never had a problem needling the team or management, which is why he got the boot.

Sean and Eck in the booth together would have been the FO's worst nightmare the last two years. :laugh:

THAT would have been must watch TV

If Sean does get the tab that would be awesome. One of the best in the biz, and versatile too. He can really call almost anything and do a great job.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Brad Nessler also leaving ESPN for CBS. Will do NFL games before taking over for Uncle Verne and doing SEC games.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Seriously, are you nuts? Do you just come here to troll? You can't seriously not realize the difference between a play by play man and a color man, right????

Who has ever asked a football color man to be versatile for the network? What, you want him to be color man for the WNBA too? Did Madden do the Stanley Cup playoffs with Kenny Albert or Doc back in the day on FOX and I missed it????

Gruden is a good color man IMO. But like him or not, you cannot honestly sit there and say he doesn't work hard at it.

I never said I didn't know the difference between the two. I wasn't comparing him and Tirico at all because they are different. Tirico is a media personnel by trade. Gruden is not. I know the difference. Tirico or anyone like him is a loss for a network because they can do more than one thing. What I don't like about Garden is he loves every player, I don't feel like I get real analysis and if ia guy is in an unfavorable situation he seems to have excuse ready for their benefit of the doubt. I like those analysts that are real on things. I just feel like that's not really him. Sure a guy like Tyrod Taylor was behind Flacco but if he were anything special wouldn't he have found a way to steal the job from him with his game? Just an example I remember of last year and Gruden.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Brad Nessler also leaving ESPN for CBS. Will do NFL games before taking over for Uncle Verne and doing SEC games.

He was big for the SEC Network otherwise you got too much Southern accent on that station.

When is Verne leaving? Its about time. Now when the **** is Uncle Gary gunna call it a day?

I wonder when ESPN will tell Musburger its time.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He'll do the TNF until Al Michaels retires in a year or two. Then he'll take over SNF. My bet is Michaels retires after Super Bowl 2018.

What about Hicks? I know he's doing ND football but you'd have to think they'd offer him to replace Michaels before anyone because of tenure. Doesn't Flutie work both days? Granted one is just studio work.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
ESPN should bring back the old SNF crew Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire! Patrick still does college for them I know.

McDonough would be a good choice though. Not sure who else they have since Nessler is leaving too. Musberger is old and senile and the aforementioned Patrick is pretty old too. Please God not Berman.

In an ideal world they pry Gus Johnson from Fox.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
He was big for the SEC Network otherwise you got too much Southern accent on that station.

When is Verne leaving? Its about time. Now when the **** is Uncle Gary gunna call it a day?

I wonder when ESPN will tell Musburger its time.

Brad Nessler has zero accent and was born in Minnesota.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
ESPN should bring back the old SNF crew Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire! Patrick still does college for them I know.

McDonough would be a good choice though. Not sure who else they have since Nessler is leaving too. Musberger is old and senile and the aforementioned Patrick is pretty old too. Please God not Berman.

In an ideal world they pry Gus Johnson from Fox.

Haha oh god. Aren't they both North of 70? I don't even think Maguire works anymore.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I think he's pretty good and IMO, he was the best part of the MNF coverage.

wow - I could not disagree more.

MNF used to be an "event" - not lately with the announcing team that ESPN has been using.

As announcers, both Tirico and Gruden are way below average - easily the weakest of any broadcasting duo.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

MNF used to be an "event" - not lately with the announcing team that ESPN has been using.

As announcers, both Tirico and Gruden are way below average - easily the weakest of any broadcasting duo.

You need hearing aids then, because Tirico and Gruden were probably the best on TV next to Michaels/Collinsworth. Tirico was also really good with NBA coverage since he actually reacts to the play unfolding in front of him.

It'll be interesting to see if Tirico replaces Al as the main guy on Sunday Nights if/when he retires. That is also likely why he made the move.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Monday Night Football doesn't get prime match ups anymore. SNF does.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
One has to assume Michaels will be stepping aside sooner than later. Tirico has always covered golf and, I believe, Tennis. Plus cover Notre Dame in some capacity?

So I can see value in it for him. Plus, likely, a nice raise.

Sean McDonough is relatively solid. Despite being crapped on heavily for covering baseball on CBS...but I think that had more to do with CBS in general

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Replacing Al Michaels does seem to be the popular opinion out there. Michaels is 71 and apparently his contract his up in two years. Making more money is a perfectly fine reason for leaving but he must be promised something with SNF, the Olympics, and/or other big events. He had it pretty good with everything he was doing at ESPN/ABC.

I think Michaels is still the best though so hopefully he keeps on going.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Kind of OT but FS1 is actively trying to get people to not watch their network.

Jason Whitlock
Colin Cowherd
Clay Travis
Skip Bayless

Holy **** thats awful. A bunch of ignorant attention ******.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Bayless is a turd. But he draws viewers. Which is something that FS1 needs.

He was the only reason First Take stayed on the air after being rebranded from "Cold Pizza".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad