NFL: Mike Tirico leaves ESPN, and other NFL related broadcaster stuff

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think he's pretty good and IMO, he was the best part of the MNF coverage.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He's called NFL/NCAA games for years. He's been doing games with Chris Spielman and Todd McShay (on the sidelines).

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Possible new MNF is Sean McDonough. I have no idea who that is.

Sean has been on ESPN for years and was on CBS prior to that doing the NFL and baseball. One time Red Sox TV PbP guy. Really surprised to hear that because I didn't think he was at the top of the ESPN roster exactly. He's a good choice if true.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Shulman is better than McDonagh IMO but yeah older bald guy who has been around. I guess if you want to say it he's a younger Muaburger but has never been at the pinnacle of a network.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I think he's pretty good and IMO, he was the best part of the MNF coverage.

No, the hot sideline reporter!

I didn't mind Tirico though because he did everything except for baseball. He did college hoops and football so he was versatile. He had some value, unlike Gruden having his slurpfest over every player who was basically a former flunked coach. Still wasn't big on MNF though. Not sure I ever will be as long as he is on.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
No, the hot sideline reporter!

I didn't mind Tirico though because he did everything except for baseball. He did college hoops and football so he was versatile. He had some value, unlike Gruden having his slurpfest over every player who was basically a former flunked coach. Still wasn't big on MNF though. Not sure I ever will be as long as he is on.

Gruden is a color guy. He doesn't have to be versatile.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Versatile means he can call multiple sports. Nothing about his exact skill set necessarily. That's all. I know Gruden isn't versatile and many announcers aren't, but that doesn't mean he's good.

Seriously, are you nuts? Do you just come here to troll? You can't seriously not realize the difference between a play by play man and a color man, right????

Who has ever asked a football color man to be versatile for the network? What, you want him to be color man for the WNBA too? Did Madden do the Stanley Cup playoffs with Kenny Albert or Doc back in the day on FOX and I missed it????

Gruden is a good color man IMO. But like him or not, you cannot honestly sit there and say he doesn't work hard at it.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Having Tirico be on the NBC Golf Crew would be great, even though I also like Hicks. I don't know, I think NBC Sports has a strong group of Play by play guys and analysts. Pity their hockey studio show leaves a lot to be desired.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wonder if Tirico does NHL games next season as well

It might be interesting if he gave it a shot, but I doubt it. If he even bothered with hockey, he'd be a studio host. Frankly, NBC is over-saturated with personnel, it's just a lot of them suck.

He's not really needed for it. Plus everyone would just complain about it anyways.

Sean McDonough is a great choice to take over MNF. Personally, I think he's undercast where he is.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Sean has been on ESPN for years and was on CBS prior to that doing the NFL and baseball. One time Red Sox TV PbP guy. Really surprised to hear that because I didn't think he was at the top of the ESPN roster exactly. He's a good choice if true.

Huh, didn't know that. I guess I've always known Don Orsillo. I didn't really start watching NESN games until like 2010 because we never got the station and it was then I learned about streaming. But:

On September 28, 2011, McDonough called the nationally televised game in which the Baltimore Orioles came back to defeat the Boston Red Sox 4-3 after Boston closer Jonathon Papelbon came within one strike of closing the game. McDonough called Baltimore's Robert Andino's walk-off single, which occurred only three minutes before Evan Longoria's walk-off home run against the New York Yankees in St. Petersburg gave the Tampa Bay Rays, who trailed the Red Sox by nine games on September 3, the American League Wild Card, as follows:

“ Lined to left, Crawford playing shallow dives...cannot make the catch! Reimold comes to the plate! He scores! And the Baltimore Orioles stun the Boston Red Sox!

I sadly do remember this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad