NFL: Mike Tirico leaves ESPN, and other NFL related broadcaster stuff

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
One would hope so. But that might have more to do with it being FS1 than Skip Bayless.

Regardless, he has stayed on the air this long for a reason.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Bayless is a turd. But he draws viewers. Which is something that FS1 needs.

He was the only reason First Take stayed on the air after being rebranded from "Cold Pizza".

Yeah nobody was watching Stephen A who claimed he was close to everyone in sports. Skip was the reason to watch. Even in the Cold Pizza days when they didn't have to prop up Woody Paige.

Not sure what Bayless is gunna be doing though.

FS1 had a really good start with how they did Fox Sports Live at night and all of those weird shows like Crowd Goes Wild and stuff. I liked America's Pregame. I don't know though I feel like within the last 8 or so months its really declined compared to what they introduced 20 months ago. The programming is really weak.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
You need hearing aids then, because Tirico and Gruden were probably the best on TV next to Michaels/Collinsworth. Tirico was also really good with NBA coverage since he actually reacts to the play unfolding in front of him.

It'll be interesting to see if Tirico replaces Al as the main guy on Sunday Nights if/when he retires. That is also likely why he made the move.

Tirico was good at about everything though I agree with this guy that once MNF left ABC it just wasn't the same as far as product quality or anything. They used to have the awesome opening song and the helmets colliding and stuff.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
One has to assume Michaels will be stepping aside sooner than later. Tirico has always covered golf and, I believe, Tennis. Plus cover Notre Dame in some capacity?

So I can see value in it for him. Plus, likely, a nice raise.

Sean McDonough is relatively solid. Despite being crapped on heavily for covering baseball on CBS...but I think that had more to do with CBS in general

Notre Same has like what? 6 games? Easily workable. I love tennis but I feel like for now that broadcast team is set in stone. They only do two events all year though.

Hicks does golf and ND football but I wonder if he's not Michaels replacement and Yorick takes over his gig. I mean NBC doesn't have many announcers as far as play by play go. Only Hicks does two things(golf and ND)the soccer is done by English people so no need there. I guess Michaels does do some of that joke boxing they rarely do but one wonders how long that will keep going.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Who the **** is Clay Travis?

Haha before Cowherd FS1 had Mike Francesca.

Clay Travis is an SEC stooge who thinks he's funny but is probably better off leaving that to somebody else.

They are gonna burn down the FS1 studio with all of those hot takes in the same building

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Joe Buck is fantastic and anyone who thinks otherwise has an incorrect opinion. Dude is smart, sarcastic, gives zero ****s, and is better with his intonation every year.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah nobody was watching Stephen A who claimed he was close to everyone in sports. Skip was the reason to watch. Even in the Cold Pizza days when they didn't have to prop up Woody Paige.

Not sure what Bayless is gunna be doing though.

FS1 had a really good start with how they did Fox Sports Live at night and all of those weird shows like Crowd Goes Wild and stuff. I liked America's Pregame. I don't know though I feel like within the last 8 or so months its really declined compared to what they introduced 20 months ago. The programming is really weak.

Because the programming director that started the "embrace debate" crap now is at FS1. Why do you think Whitlock, Cowherd and Bayless are there? Don't be shocked if Jay Marrioti's fat ass shows up.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Losing Tirico really sucks but ESPN's NFL coverage is still getting better. Looks like both Carter and Lewis are gone as well.

ESPN’s NFL coverage will look dramatically different next year. Our site already reported that Mike Ditka is out from his Countdown gig (though will remain with the network in an emeritus role), and that Matt Hasselbeck and Charles Woodson are on their way in.

Trent Dilfer has also been widely reported to be leaving Bristol. In addition to this, The Big Lead has learned that Cris Carter and Ray Lewis are also expected to be on their way out, and that Randy Moss is expected to be on his way in. Moss spent last season at Fox Sports, appearing on the pre pre show that pitted him in debates with Colin Cowherd.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/05/09/major-upheaval-continues-on-espn-nfl-coverage-cris-carter-ray-lewis-out-randy-moss-in/

Moss is the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad