Injury Report: Mike Smith out 8-10 weeks

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Whats Smith's injury? Hernia surgery? So he'll be out 3-4 months?

For laparoscopic recovery time is about 1 to 2 weeks. You most likely can return to light activity after 1 to 2 weeks. Strenuous exercise should wait until after 4 weeks of recovery. Studies have found that people have less pain after laparoscopic hernia repair than after open hernia surgery

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
For laparoscopic recovery time is about 1 to 2 weeks. You most likely can return to light activity after 1 to 2 weeks. Strenuous exercise should wait until after 4 weeks of recovery. Studies have found that people have less pain after laparoscopic hernia repair than after open hernia surgery
Where is the hernia rumor injury/surgery coming from?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wonder if this has affected him for a while, like going back a season plus. He clearly has some issues on the mental side of the game too, but some games he just never seems to be moving right, and stretches his legs out often. I think I've mentioned the possibility of him having a nagging groin problem in the past.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
8-10 weeks. Guess we need a backup goalie.

ilya-bryzgalov-phoenix-coyotes-262c2740db07b4c3_medium.jpg

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe that's why he had trouble this year and part of last.

It'd be nice (relatively speaking) if we could chalk the past couple of years to an existing sports hernia, but I really think he'd have gotten the surgery in the off-season if it was pre-existing.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
From the article on the yotes website:
Maloney said Smith, who has missed the past two games, had been dealing with the injury for some time but tried to play through it.

"It had been something that had been lingering for a little while and it got to the point where he couldn't play anymore,” Maloney said. “So now was the time to take another approach… (The surgery) is relatively routine in this day and age. It happens, you fix it and then you get him back and away we go."

Maybe it hasn't lingered for years but at least this year.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yeah, and I remember being at the game where the injury happened. I thought it was a groin injury, though.

Could be that pushed it over the edge and he's been playing through it for a while. Normally I'd think it's insane he'd play through it for that long but hockey players are dumb tough. He's had games for a few seasons where he moves weird, and has to stretch one leg out frequently. Hopefully he comes back somewhere between awful and vezina form, closer to vezina would be nice.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Fully expect Lindback to be really solid now for the 10 weeks or whatever, making it abundantly clear he's the better starter, leading to him being traded when Smith comes back. Have to coddle the goalie you're married to after all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fully expect Lindback to be really solid now for the 10 weeks or whatever, making it abundantly clear he's the better starter, leading to him being traded when Smith comes back. Have to coddle the goalie you're married to after all.

I fully expect Lindback to play like a back up goalie. This reminds me when Smith went down and Greiss took over and most thought that Greiss was better than Smith and we all know how that went. In my books Greiss is better than Lindback.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I fully expect Lindback to play like a back up goalie. This reminds me when Smith went down and Greiss took over and most thought that Greiss was better than Smith and we all know how that went. In my books Greiss is better than Lindback.

Greiss is better than Lindback, but Greiss isn't a starter and neither is Lindback. It's during these times that I wish we had a coach that was experimental in nature. I'd like to see Domingue get a lot of starts, hell, and let Langhamer have the majority of the starts in the AHL

Then you can see what you've got, I can't imagine Treutle as a long term option, so Domingue & Langhamer should be getting the majority of the starts. That way, Lindback certainly becomes expendable at the deadline for those looking for goalie depth.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

Déjà vu, I seen this before, twice actually if you don't count the trade part.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Smith's monthly stats:

October - 10 games, .902 SV%, 3.18 GAA

November - 8 games, .918 SV%, 2.40 GAA

December - 4 games, .865 SV%, 4.26 GAA

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Could be that pushed it over the edge and he's been playing through it for a while. Normally I'd think it's insane he'd play through it for that long but hockey players are dumb tough. He's had games for a few seasons where he moves weird, and has to stretch one leg out frequently. Hopefully he comes back somewhere between awful and vezina form, closer to vezina would be nice.

It is being defined as a core muscle injury, so a hernia is a good possibility, although there are multiple types of hernias.

The major issue being that this is considered a "core" injury, because every type of movement that you do, whether just lying down, lifting an arm, or kicking a leg, will wind up drawing back to some part of a core muscle group.

I would like to think that this started this year, but it is possible that whatever muscle grouping was affected could have been slowly withering down for some time, even dating back to last year. I even think that in one of the first 5 or 6 games of last year, he pulled a groin muscle, which could have been the start of it all...

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
According to Sarah, GMDM has identified 9 teams that may have a goalie available. Now seeing if there is a fit in terms of availability and cost.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
According to Sarah, GMDM has identified 9 teams that may have a goalie available. Now seeing if there is a fit in terms of availability and cost.

Ugh, why? Lindback is playing pretty well and we can see if domingue has what it takes to be an NHL goaltender. Giving up anything and/or using cash from our small budget to get a goalie is dumb.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My guess at the 9 teams. All pending UFAs. Salary in parenthesis. Also added each goalie’s height/weight, as we like our big goalies.

- CAR, Cam Ward (6.8) – 6’1, 185
- CGY, Jonas Hiller (4.5) – 6’2, 192
- CGY, Karri Ramo (2.9) – 6’3, 205
- ANA, Anton Khudobin (2.5) – 5’11, 203
- EDM, Ben Scrivens (2.3) – 6’2, 192
- TOR, James Reimer (2.0) – 6’2, 208
- BUF, Chad Johnson (1.6) – 6’3, 196
- FLA, Al Montoya (1.1) – 6’2, 203
- WSH, Justin Peters (950k) – 6’1, 210
- NYR, Antti Raanta (800k) – 6’0, 193

That’s 10 names. We can probably exclude Ward because his salary is stupid high. From this list, James Reimer might be the most reasonable combination, in terms of salary, ability, and potential.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Smith's monthly stats:

October - 10 games, .902 SV%, 3.18 GAA

November - 8 games, .918 SV%, 2.40 GAA

December - 4 games, .865 SV%, 4.26 GAA

Oct = not terrible
Nov = very good
Dec = playing hurt

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
My guess at the 9 teams. All pending UFAs. Salary in parenthesis. Also added each goalie’s height/weight, as we like our big goalies.

- CAR, Cam Ward (6.8) – 6’1, 185
- CGY, Jonas Hiller (4.5) – 6’2, 192
- CGY, Karri Ramo (2.9) – 6’3, 205
- ANA, Anton Khudobin (2.5) – 5’11, 203
- EDM, Ben Scrivens (2.3) – 6’2, 192
- TOR, James Reimer (2.0) – 6’2, 208
- BUF, Chad Johnson (1.6) – 6’3, 196
- FLA, Al Montoya (1.1) – 6’2, 203
- WSH, Justin Peters (950k) – 6’1, 210
- NYR, Antti Raanta (800k) – 6’0, 193

That’s 10 names. We can probably exclude Ward because his salary is stupid high. From this list, James Reimer might be the most reasonable combination, in terms of salary, ability, and potential.

Bring home Ocho Cinco!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Reimer has been injured. If anything of value is traded for a 10 week stop gap I'll be pissed. Should have just claimed Khudobin if they don't want Domingue up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad