Injury Report: Mike Smith out 8-10 weeks

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
at least $1m too high. He should have gotten around $4m for 4. Unless we suddenly become a cap team, I can't see how this ends well with our roster.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Really?

You don't think he would have gotten more elsewhere? That and doubting GMDMs numbers? personally I think this is a good deal for both. While he fell off this year, in my opinion due to the shortened season, he carried the team to its best showing ever the year before and is still young.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I question the years not the salary. Market is the market though and if you look at comparables and our horrific ownership situation this is one of those things you just have to accept.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I don't get it. Paranoid part of my brain says that if RSE spends to the cap it accelerates financial losses and helps trigger the 5-year escape clause. Sooooooo much money ... sooooooo many years ...

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
This had to get done. We are nothing without a great goalie. Debate it I guess, but Tippett and GMDM havn't made many bad moves. Our team is built from the goalie and D out. Well done gents.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
This had to get done. We are nothing without a great goalie. Debate it I guess, but Tippett and GMDM havn't made many bad moves. Our team is built from the goalie and D out. Well done gents.

Jury is still out if Smith is really a great goalie. So far a Vezina/Conn Smythe-level season followed by an inconsistent one doesn't remotely put him in that category. And he'll have his work cut out for him if Maloney has to make significant changes to our blueline just to accomodate this contract as well as the other holes that have yet to be filled.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
I disagree with this deal for so many reasons.

5.7million is the most on our whole team. It's so much money. Let's think about things. The guy is 31. He has had exactly one season which I'd consider above average. Without our team he'd be working at McDonalds by now. We really think one good season for a 31 year old is worth that much money? Especially for SIX years, and especially on OUR financially restricted team?

I guarantee he would have gotten more money elsewhere. I don't care. Look at Bryz. We could have just gone and found someone else, put them behind our defense and system, and over 82 games they'd look like an all star goaltender part 3.

I really hope smith proves me wrong and plays amazing. I think h could just as easily play average like he has for the majority of his career. Or, because we just spent all our christmas present money on him and will have a really tough time icing a full roster in front of him we could be even worse off.

Good luck to Don signing about 8 more contracts with 6.3 Million dollars and trying to keep us competitive. Expect some big moves coming to free space, and don't expect any of that money spent on forward talent like we hoped.

I hope he has some master plan in mind here.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
are you fn kidding me

5mil per for 4 years or

4.5 mil per for 5 years

still would have seemed too steep.

At least we don't have to worry about getting lucky with another unproven goalie.

6 years though, damn.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Jury is still out if Smith is really a great goalie. So far a Vezina/Conn Smythe-level season followed by an inconsistent one doesn't remotely put him in that category. And he'll have his work cut out for him if Maloney has to make significant changes to our blueline.
Agree on all fronts. Advanced stats are in their infancy in hockey, and I think there's a lot of analysis to be done to dope out exactly what percentage of keeping pucks out of our net is goaltending vs defense vs back checking forwards vs talent vs hustle vs luck / randomness.

The margins for goalies are very small. Giving up 2.5 GPG is good, 2.3 great, 2.9 is ehhh and above 3 is crap. We're talking about less than 1 save per game difference, and there's a defensive breakdown / turnover involved on most goals. How often can that one goal be prevented - or one extra one be scored - by upgrading our 6D (Stone for example) to Doughty or Pieterangelo? Or using that money on Tyler Seguin, who could score 35? How often can Tyler Seguin's presence affect the way the other team's D plays or thinks, and how many times will they decide against an aggressive risk?

On the flip side, how much does the psychology of having faith in his goalie to bail him out LET Yandle take risks that help our meager offense? And how much are opposing shooters psyched out looking across the ice at 1998 Dominik Hasek?

I think there are a few real difference-makers like Hasek and Broda and Durnan, but beyond that, the fortune you spend on a goalie might be better spent elsewhere.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Withholding judgment until I see where the team ends up and what the budget is. Potentially a smart signing in the right situation.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Ok so if not Smith then what?

So if we all agree another team would have paid Smith this much or more correct?

What is our alternative if we let him walk? We have no money to compete with other teams on the open market. We take another shot at a long shot goalie and hope it works out? A lot of people criticizing the deal so lets hear about the alternatives if we would have let him walk. Keeping in mind this team is VERY VERY tight and the team dynamic in the dressing room is much more important here than virtually anywhere else.

What were our potential alternatives if we didn't pay Mike?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The reality is Smith would've got that money elsewhere so I get that if DM wanted to keep him, that was the price. I think the term is too long and the price is too high when you consider Smith is not quite proven yet IMO. I can't say it was a bad move by DM because if Smith plays like we know he's capable then it's money well spent, at this point I will just say it was a risky move and I hope DM's gamble pays off!

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
I'm on record saying I wouldn't want to give him more than 4 and 4 so this is clearly more than I'd like, but DM has earned enough good will points that I can overlook it easily. However, depending on who owns the team next year, if this contract causes a snowball affect of having to move a significant core player or two in the next or coming years to fit it, then I'll worry about raging at DM :laugh:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Horrible. His annual salary is double what he deserves and the contract is twice as long as it ought to be.

What the ****?!?!?!?

We just blew 15% of our ENTIRE budget on Mike ****ing Smith? Is he going to score thirty goals for us next season? If he's going to lead the team in points, than this makes sense. Is Mike Smith our new number one center.

**** me. God damn. **** ass *****.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Now that I've got that off my chest, I will say this; the last time I was furious with Don Maloney for signing Mike Smith I was very, very, very, very wrong.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
So Mike Smith is now our most highly paid player huh? Interesting.

Yandle, OEL, Doan, Smith all making north of $ 5M. I am a bit surprised by those numbers.

Well, I hope it works out.

SweYote

Jun 7, 2011
Lund, Sweden
If we had a GM with a less brilliant track record this would be the kind of deal that would make me lose confidence in him. This contract does look terrible. Because of Maloney's track record I will take more of a shut up and see approach though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->