Injury Report: Mike Smith out 8-10 weeks

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
At this rate, I doubt Smith survives the offseason. This summer will have the best crop of maybe-starters in a long time. There will be plenty of guys clamoring to come to AZ to work with Burke in a no pressure situation.

The moment Dubnyk inks a nice deal is the moment Burke can have his pick of the litter. Buyout Smith and sign two cheaper guys to platoon until somebody wins the job.

They can't be worse than this.

Who are some names that you would target?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Who are some names that you would target?

Markstrom in trade for very little
Berra for basically nothing
Darling back to the Coyotes for basically nothing

Ramo
Neuvirth
Gustavsson
Greiss
Lindback

Niemi if he needs a home.

Lindback would be one of my top choices. He has the raw size and ability to work with Burke. Dallas was a Coyote level mess when he got sent down. He is destroying the AHL. Markstrom for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Interesting list. I'd add Viktor Fasth. I think he's closer to the Anaheim goalie than the crap in Edmonton. Like we saw this year with Dubnyk.

Is Malcolm Subban close to NHL-ready? He doesn't fit in Boston long-term behind Tuukka.

I'm a big fan of Martin Jones in LA and for the same reasons as above, he'll be pushing for starter minutes soon. But I doubt they trade him within the division.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Guys that are top prospects aren't really an option, and we don't need them to be with Burke.

I'd be perfectly happy with a Markstrom/Lindback tandem. If they have absolutely horrible seasons it will be because the team in front of them is bad, and nobody will mind. Neither would really cost much money above 900k. I believe with the buyout and those 2 on cheap deals you actually save money.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
At this rate, I doubt Smith survives the offseason. This summer will have the best crop of maybe-starters in a long time. There will be plenty of guys clamoring to come to AZ to work with Burke in a no pressure situation.

The moment Dubnyk inks a nice deal is the moment Burke can have his pick of the litter. Buyout Smith and sign two cheaper guys to platoon until somebody wins the job.

They can't be worse than this.

If we look like we're going to tank again next year, keep Smith around another season, for tank purposes, to make the cap floor, and to lower the term of a buy-out. If we look to be somewhat competitive for a playoff spot, buy-out Smith, and then turn around and immediately fire Maloney.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If we look like we're going to tank again next year, keep Smith around another season, for tank purposes, to make the cap floor, and to lower the term of a buy-out. If we look to be somewhat competitive for a playoff spot, buy-out Smith, and then turn around and immediately fire Maloney.

I don't want his mopey ass around the team next year. It also doesn't send the right message if you let a goalie be that ****** and keep his job.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
I may be wrong on this but I don't see this team with this budget doing another buyout. I think it's much more likely that we have the same situation as last 2 years.
I could likewise be wrong but I don't think they can afford to keep him. This year, Smith + Dubs = ~$6.4 mil and they are not competitive and will miss the playoffs and therefore miss out on potential revenue. I believe a buyout will cost ~$2mil. Without Dubs and Smith they would have ~$4.4 to reinvest into the position to break even on salary with the buyout. The question becomes can the Yotes find two goaltenders for $4.4 that Sean Burke can turn a position that is currently well below average into an average to above average position so the Coyotes can once again be competitive? Otherwise, we play out Smith contract, we may never see a whiteout again.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You're looking at the cap implications of the buyout, I believe. We don't know how the actual cash part moves, if I'm not mistaken. Does a lump go into escrow and get paid out annually?

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Guys that are top prospects aren't really an option, and we don't need them to be with Burke.

I'd be perfectly happy with a Markstrom/Lindback tandem. If they have absolutely horrible seasons it will be because the team in front of them is bad, and nobody will mind. Neither would really cost much money above 900k. I believe with the buyout and those 2 on cheap deals you actually save money.

A buy out on Smith is 2/3rds, right? Wonder if we can retain and trade, instead. We'll save at least 16.6%. And we can pay it out in smaller pieces annually. It's just finding a partner that's the trick. And convincing GreasyPizzaDouche to waive his NMC. He may go the Ribs route and realize he'll be happier with his buyout cash and his pick of destinations, which means he will veto any trade to anywhere until our hands are tied and we have to exercise the buy out option.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

So your saying if we are competitve for a playoff spot you fire Malonley?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't want his mopey ass around the team next year. It also doesn't send the right message if you let a goalie be that ****** and keep his job.

Yup--totally agree. Smith has had ample time to turn his game around. I don't know what happened, but I think he is finished as a NHL goalie.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah that looks fine for year 1 but what about a few years down the road when we find a good starter and have to give them market rate plus $2 million for Smith? I think I read it would be $3 million for 8 years??? That's a long time paying for a player not to play for a team under budget.
I could likewise be wrong but I don't think they can afford to keep him. This year, Smith + Dubs = ~$6.4 mil and they are not competitive and will miss the playoffs and therefore miss out on potential revenue. I believe a buyout will cost ~$2mil. Without Dubs and Smith they would have ~$4.4 to reinvest into the position to break even on salary with the buyout. The question becomes can the Yotes find two goaltenders for $4.4 that Sean Burke can turn a position that is currently well below average into an average to above average position so the Coyotes can once again be competitive? Otherwise, we play out Smith contract, we may never see a whiteout again.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah that looks fine for year 1 but what about a few years down the road when we find a good starter and have to give them market rate plus $2 million for Smith? I think I read it would be $3 million for 8 years??? That's a long time paying for a player not to play for a team under budget.

How can people not want Maloney fired? Look at this mess we've been put in. Totally painted into a corner financially by Smith and Ribeiro. We were already cash strapped and budget conscious. Now we are straight up financially handicapped. Bad, bad investing. Guy needs to go. Too many costly, long term mistakes.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
A buy out on Smith is 2/3rds, right? Wonder if we can retain and trade, instead. We'll save at least 16.6%. And we can pay it out in smaller pieces annually. It's just finding a partner that's the trick. And convincing GreasyPizzaDouche to waive his NMC. He may go the Ribs route and realize he'll be happier with his buyout cash and his pick of destinations, which means he will veto any trade to anywhere until our hands are tied and we have to exercise the buy out option.

$2 mil cash for 8 years.

Per capgeek.com, buying out Smith would cost the Coyotes $16 million over eight years, with a cap hit ranging between $1.17 million and $2.67 million. Combine that with Ribeiro and that's a lot of money for a smaller-market team to be paying players who are not on the roster. http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/dubnyk-s-success-won-t-relegate-smith-to-bench-122814

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
If I was GM I would let it ride with Smith one more year. It is not likely we are a playoff team next season anyways. Work with Smith all summer and hope he can turn things around. If not buy him out or ship him out at the end of the season. 2 million per year for 6 years or retain 50% salary.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
There probably little that can be done about Mike Smith now, bring in a legit 1a goalie next season and have both compete for the #1 spot. After next season, if its hopeless, then bite the bullet and buy him out or I think the no movement goes away at that point and demote him. Smith needs a fire lit under his rear end. There is an awful lot of finger pointing on this team but Mike Smith should be embarrassed for his performance and lack of focus. Maybe its unfair pressure on one guy but that's the nature of the position he plays.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
How can people not want Maloney fired? Look at this mess we've been put in. Totally painted into a corner financially by Smith and Ribeiro. We were already cash strapped and budget conscious. Now we are straight up financially handicapped. Bad, bad investing. Guy needs to go. Too many costly, long term mistakes.
Well obviously it's not on him. He had a budget so the fact that he spent what little money he had foolishly is clearly not his fault.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Well obviously it's not on him. He had a budget so the fact that he spent what little money he had foolishly is clearly not his fault.
Maloney is like a declining star, folks are remembering him for the plays he used to make rather than the plays he has more recently made. It would be akin to the Kings holding on to Mike Richards because he used to be really good.

Maloney had all the built in excuses to not sign Smith to that terrible deal. Something like, "You know, we would've liked to have resigned Smith but under our current budget constraints it just wasn't a wise move for us at this time" kinda thing. Instead, he signed Smith to player friendly money, player friendly term and player friendly conditions (NMC/NTC) and negotiated nothing that was favorable to the team. Instead of letting Smith go or negotiating a friendlier deal, he went forward in spite of budget issues.

If I'm owner, I keep Maloney for the TDL but end of season, based on performance, I thank Maloney, Smith and Tippett for the nice run and wish them well in their new opportunities.

However, one little caveat to it all. There is the matter of what are Maloney and Tippett's contracts? In 2013 Tippett received a 5 year extension and in the same year, the NHL signed Maloney to a "long-term contract extension" specific term not disclosed. I don't believe money has been disclosed for either of them and I don't know what a buyout would entail for either but, buying out Ribs + Smith + Maloney + Tip could be a rather jagged pill to swallow.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Be honest here, did anyone expect Smith to be this bad? Most may have not liked the $ and term, but to be where he is today is totally baffling.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Be honest here, did anyone expect Smith to be this bad? Most may have not liked the $ and term, but to be where he is today is totally baffling.

I doubt anyone predicted this level of suck but giving that term to goalies has backfired several times in the past around the league. It's his job to avoid wasting a big chunk of our budget on a brutal deal like that and he failed.

Edit for phone keyboard correction errors

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I knew he was going to be bad, but I thought he'd revert to his career mean (see: Stars, Lightning) - not to the worst goalie in the entire league.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Remember it being a hedge bet. Are we signing the Smith of '11/'12 or the '12/'13 Mike Smith who stepped back, but still had decent numbers in a strike-shorted season: 15-12 W-L 2.58 GAA .910 SP but led the NHL with 5 SO's.

Good goaltending cleans-up poor defense, however, as we've found out in Smith's case poor defense leads Smith to being the worst goaltender in the NHL.

Given the D isn't going to dramatically change next year, it's foolish to think a 33/34 year old Smith is capable of replicating '12/'13, let alone '11/'12.

Buy him out....

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I doubt we'd hit the goalie jackpot three times in a row. Probably what Maloney is thinking as well. Think about it. Two consecutive starters/vezina candidates just fell into his lap. There was a lot of practice, patience, and forethought to those moves but it's still good fortune that most teams don't have.

If Greiss comes in and looks every bit the starter then it makes paying a goalie so much silly. Cross that bridge when you have to.

QFT. Not only did Greiss look good, but we did it AGAIN with Dubnyk. :facepalm:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
So your saying if we are competitve for a playoff spot you fire Malonley?

Considering that this would almost certainly be dependent on buying out Smith at $2-3 million for 8 years, then yes, because we're a broke ass team that would be spending $4-5 million a year in buyout money for the next 5 years, because Maloney gave out dumb contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad