Injury Report: Mike Smith out 8-10 weeks

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Maloney made a massive error giving this guy a huge contract extension while his career was on the decline after one magical season and very little else on his resume. But let's be honest here guys, none of Tippett, Maloney or Smith are likely to go anywhere

Tippett is probably the most likely to get fired-- and that's only if someone decides we are going to flip the switch and turn in to a fast offensive minded team. but that's only if we get McEichel and him plus Domi plus a few other talented guys turn us in to a fast paced, scoring team. Also didnt he just get an extension recently? Basically i only think this is going to happen if we get McDavid, then coaches will be standing in line drooling over coaching this guy and Domi and a few other of our young guys. More realistically we get Marner or Hanifin and we are going to suck ass again next year and the Tippett system will still be in place

Maloney is a pretty respected dude overall and i think his work for making as cash strapped team a contender for 3 years is going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus, if we get one of the young assets mentioned above, it's going to make his job easier. Our prospect pool is pretty stacked and a lot of that is due to his draft choices / deals to get people like a Rieder, so he's probably best suited to see it through

Smith also isnt going anywhere because no one in the entire nhl would want him if we tried to trade him and because we dont have the resources to pay him NOT to be here. Already did that with Ribiero. I agree with some of you guys who say we should bring in a 1A goalie, a reclaim project... I think Enroth could be a good option, maybe even bring back Greiss, always liked him, and pretty much tell smitty, hey, if you work you work and get your confidence back it's your job, but otherwise you're going to be the highest paid backup in the league

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Also i think it's pretty ridiculous that smith was actually playing really well at the end of last year before he got hurt, i think we tend to forget that because it seems like so long ago. He was actually playing us in to a playoff position at the end of last year, i think he was like 7-2 in a stretch before he got hurt, and then he twisted his knee against NYR. after that we went on a pretty long losing streak but i think we wouldve made the playoffs with smith playing at that level

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
maybe even bring back Greiss, always liked him

I don't think Greiss comes back to Arizona if Smith is here. Greiss wants more starts and that's why he left AZ in the first place. There are better guarantees elsewhere.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I get the feeling Smith likes to think of himself as a goalie that needs a heavy workload. We rarely ever let the backup have a run. Two games in a row is a shock.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get the feeling Smith likes to think of himself as a goalie that needs a heavy workload. We rarely ever let the backup have a run. Two games in a row is a shock.

I think the management mind set is starting to change. They have tried everything to try and get Smith back to playing respectable. I mentioned before that I believe Smith is weak mentally, and for a goalie to be successful you have to be the opposite.

Feb 12, 2003
Also i think it's pretty ridiculous that smith was actually playing really well at the end of last year before he got hurt, i think we tend to forget that because it seems like so long ago. He was actually playing us in to a playoff position at the end of last year, i think he was like 7-2 in a stretch before he got hurt, and then he twisted his knee against NYR. after that we went on a pretty long losing streak but i think we wouldve made the playoffs with smith playing at that level

Fair enough, but one little stretch in the past couple of years now is not exactly encouraging. That little stretch was on par with our WCF season, but that's been the only time you could draw that level of play together.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't think Greiss comes back to Arizona if Smith is here. Greiss wants more starts and that's why he left AZ in the first place. There are better guarantees elsewhere.

Greiss is on pace to play in fewer games this year in Pittburgh than he did as a Coyote. His numbers are also worse.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I didn't post in this thread, but I found this via search:
3 MAR 2013
You offer Smith 3-4 million for one or two years, or you look at other options in the offseason. I can't imagine anyone trading for him while he's on IR so ride out the year.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Of all the times I am wrong about stuff, why couldn't it be this time? :cry::help::shakehead:rant:

It's normal to overpay in sports for short term gain. The Yotes were thinking they could challenge for the Cup. Whether or not Smith was worth a long term deal didn't have to do with how he played in 2015, or 2016, etc. It was what you had to do to keep him for the next 2 yrs.

Similar to what has happened with Zack Greinke. Will Greinke be an ace 4-6 years from now when he's 36-38 yo? Dbacks don't know, but signing him to a 6 year deal is what had to be done to get him. If they win the Series just once it will be worth it.

This is the same logic behind signing Smith to a long term deal. It's not about being great for 6 yrs, it's about winning the Cup once. That hasn't happened obviously, but was the mindset behind the deal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's normal to overpay in sports for short term gain. The Yotes were thinking they could challenge for the Cup. Whether or not Smith was worth a long term deal didn't have to do with how he played in 2015, or 2016, etc. It was what you had to do to keep him for the next 2 yrs.

Similar to what has happened with Zack Greinke. Will Greinke be an ace 4-6 years from now when he's 36-38 yo? Dbacks don't know, but signing him to a 6 year deal is what had to be done to get him. If they win the Series just once it will be worth it.

This is the same logic behind signing Smith to a long term deal. It's not about being great for 6 yrs, it's about winning the Cup once. That hasn't happened obviously, but was the mindset behind the deal.

Your probably right, hindsight is 20/20 and we have no idea who was available at the time and the cost to obtain such player. Most thought he was over paid and the contract a little long, but if he keep on playing like he was we could live with it. But as soon as that contract was signed he hasn't played at that level again. That crystal ball didn't work for DM with this contract.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Signing high priced (5 mill+) UFA's is dangerous. The player has all the leverage and it is easy to make a mistake as a GM. The chances of the player under performing are far greater then over performing. You just don't get good value in the UFA market for high end players. DM is 0-2 in this area with Ribs/Smith. Players are basically under paid on ELC and RFA contracts because they have no leverage. So, although Smith/Ribs were mistakes, think about what we are paying Bods/Hanzal/OEL/Yandle when he was here, as balancing out the UFA deals.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Any chance Smith can bounce back or what? Still letting in softies? With a better D, would he look worlds better?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Any chance Smith can bounce back or what? Still letting in softies? With a better D, would he look worlds better?

He is streaky. He played crazy good when the team had nothing to play for last year, and the D was arguably worse then. I think he'd be an average starter on a good team, with the ability to get hot at any time.

He is easily rattled and lacks focus which is the worst thing you can have in your net on a bad team.

A trade would probably wake him the hell up, which is the sad part.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It isn't hindsight when it was generally seen as a horrible move the moment it was made public.

It was an obvious error then, that is just more obvious now. Horrible decision.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
It isn't hindsight when it was generally seen as a horrible move the moment it was made public.

It was an obvious error then, that is just more obvious now. Horrible decision.
Smith (and Ribiero) are the reason the Coyotes don't have any really bad contracts. Nearly every team has a couple, Coyotes have one.

Did those 2 deals make GMDM gun-shy?

Will he pull the plug on a big contract if given the chance? Coyotes have more cap space than any team headed into 16-17.

Is this really the reason he didn't sign Boeds long-term when he had the chance?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not signing Boedker, unless it was going to be a steal of a deal, was the correct move. Coming off of major injury, and he has never really proven to be a consistent player. Signing him to $$$ and term, given that, would have been repeating the mistakes of Smith and Ribiero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad