Post-Game Talk: Mike Smith beats Hutch. Oilers win 3-2

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hard to argue with that logic. :laugh::laugh:

I don't mind it at all myself. I love that .gif and considering how many garbage posts there are in every thread anyway, how can I complain about something that makes me smile.

If you're still posting it in August, I'll join the lynch mob, consider yourself warned. ;)

Hi 5

Edit:

Reactions: Gary Nylund

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
I don't see Kyle trading for a goalie. I think he will wait until Freddy or Jack is healthy.

He wants to address forward depth for sure. I kinda agree as goalies are voodoo and even if you bring one in who knows how they will play.

Plus Jack and Freddy can't be injured the whole season? Eventually one has to heal.

There's no healing Freddy at this point, if Dubas doesn't acquire a goalie (I don't see it either) our season will ride on Campbell's health. Nothing tells me Campbell can play every other game, it's a big problem.

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
If it's flattering I take it as flattery. If people don't like it then I take it as "they just didn't get it."

;)

I used to like it, but then I saw it posted in every thread from the main boards to here. It’s not like I didn’t enjoy it, but you’re driving it into the ground man lol.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There's no healing Freddy at this point, if Dubas doesn't acquire a goalie (I don't see it either) our season will ride on Campbell's health. Nothing tells me Campbell can play every other game, it's a big problem.

If Dubas determines there is no healing Andy, he will aquire another goalie. There is too much riding on it this year for me to believe he would risk going with a tandem of Soupy and Hutch in the playoffs.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
If Dubas determines there is no healing Andy, he will aquire another goalie. There is too much riding on it this year for me to believe he would risk going with a tandem of Soupy and Hutch in the playoffs.
He often makes moves for players we don’t expect or talk about at length. Can’t say I saw the Muzzin or Campbell trades coming, let alone ever considering those two to be options.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That seems sensible but at the same time, I don't think he wants to overpay. I also think that if is going to get someone, it won't be just for this year, it will be someone who will be part of our team for a few years to come, possibly in tandem with Campbell. There's not too many candidates out there I would think and GM's know how desperate we are so not overpaying is going to be tricky.

It's easy to say go out and get a goalie, but very hard to do it and do it right under this kind of pressure and facing a deadline. I still trust Dubas so I'll assume if it doesn't get done, then it won't be for lack of trying and not wanting to overpay will be the reason.

Reactions: leafsfan5 and egd27

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That seems sensible but at the same time, I don't think he wants to overpay. I also think that if is going to get someone, it won't be just for this year, it will be someone who will be part of our team for a few years to come, possibly in tandem with Campbell. There's not too many candidates out there I would think and GM's know how desperate we are so not overpaying is going to be tricky.

It's easy to say go out and get a goalie, but very hard to do it and do it right under this kind of pressure and facing a deadline. I still trust Dubas so I'll assume if it doesn't get done, then it won't be for lack of trying and not wanting to overpay will be the reason.

Agreed but who wants to overpay for anything ;)

As good as 34 and 16 are, your goalie is your most important player in the playoffs. He has to solidify our goaltending before the playoffs and if he has to overpay, so be it. If he stands pat and Hutch starts and loses a game #7, it should be the end of Dubas.

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No. No I will not. Every time I post it I get 30-40 likes. Your last several posts got no likes.

Yes. Yes You will!!! :wg:

Posting Rules:

3) Spamming: Posts that advertise anything without the authorization of site Administrators may be considered “spam”. No money leagues are allowed in the Fantasy Talk forum. Do not post the same content multiple times, whether on the same forum, or across multiple forums.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

Sure but it all depends on the ask + cap fit. Other teams know goaltending is our Achilles' heel right now.

I think the most likely scenario is Campbell as starter/ Andersen as the backup insurance.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

As good as 34 and 16 are, your goalie is your most important player in the playoffs. He has to solidify our goaltending before the playoffs and if he has to overpay, so be it. If he stands pat and Hutch starts and loses a game #7, it should be the end of Dubas.
If Hutch is the starter there is no way they’d get to a game 7.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Sure but it all depends on the ask + cap fit. Other teams know goaltending is our Achilles' heel right now.

I think the most likely scenario is Campbell as starter/ Andersen as the backup insurance.

Wishful thinking. Andersen will never agree to a backup role, especially with his contract up this year.

Reactions: Mr Hockey

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I agree that considering how important getting a goalie is for us, this is one time where overpaying might be worth it. To a point that is, you can't just hand the team a blank check. Are you willing to give up Nylander for a quality goalie if that's what it takes?

Let's not overdo it with rating goalies/GM's etc. by game 7. If Hutch is our guy and we even get to game 7 that wouldn't be so bad.

Wishful thinking. Andersen will never agree to a backup role, especially with his contract up this year.

Andersen agreeing has nothing to do with it. What's he going to do, refuse to dress for games? You think that would impress teams who might sign him?

Reactions: LeafsRus

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

Based on the fact that Dubas apparently felt comfortable going into this season with Freddy as our #1, I think it's fair to be concerned that he has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Fred.

I worry that he's convinced himself that Fred just needs some rest to get healthy and he'll be good to go entering the playoffs, which is a viewpoint I can't get behind. I think Fred is washed.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
They played a beast of a 1st where they should have been up 4-1, then a bad 2nd and then thought a good final ten minutes of the third would be enough.

Gotta play a full sixty minutes to win most nights.

He might have played the breakaway better, but you can't blame Hutch for the loss.

Matthews and Marner looked better than Leon and Connor.

6-2-0 against the Oilers this year, and they haven't had a losing record against them since 2003.

Can't ask for much better.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
FA is 13-8-2

JC is 6-0-0

Interesting. It's almost like it's possible to win games without the goalie outplaying the other goalie. Spread the word, there are a LOT of people here for whom this is big news. Of course whether or not they want to hear the news is another story. ;)

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
You can tell the difference in the quality of goaltending: our guys try to puck corners while the other game just tries to get stuff on the net

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If Andy is heathy he will be the starter. If he is not, you cannot ride a goalie that has not proven he can play more than 2 games in a row, especially with Hutch next up.

Cap hit must fit no question about it, but ask can be negotiated and if you have to overpay some (not a ridiculous amout), you have to do it IMO.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I agree that considering how important getting a goalie is for us, this is one time where overpaying might be worth it. To a point that is, you can't just hand the team a blank check. Are you willing to give up Nylander for a quality goalie if that's what it takes?

Let's not overdo it with rating goalies/GM's etc. by game 7. If Hutch is our guy and we even get to game 7 that wouldn't be so bad.

Andersen agreeing has nothing to do with it. What's he going to do, refuse to dress for games? You think that would impress teams who might sign him?

No you are not moving most of your current roster. By overpaying I mean by a or upgrading a mid round pick or lower or a B- prospect.

Reactions: leafsfan5

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Yes. Yes You will!!! :wg: