Post-Game Talk: Mike Smith beats Hutch. Oilers win 3-2

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Some Oilers fans are really delusional in thinking that their team deserved to win last night. The truth is they didn't really deserve a single point in the last 2 games based on the run of play.

Mike Smith is the one and only reason we didn't humiliate them on the scoreboard again the last 2 games.

It seems that the opposing goalie steals a point or win from us every game. I am starting to think it is not the opposing goalie but our lack of finish.

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
I don't think goal-tending is our biggest problem. In fact, when Freddie and Campbell are both healthy, I think We'll have a solid 1A-1B duo. What is concerning is Campbell seems very injury prone.
Our defensive plays are fine - much improved - this season.
What is most bothering is our failure to finish. We do a good job of puck possession in enemy zones under Keefe but when time comes to kick it in, we either shoot/pass the puck to the opposing goalie or hit the post/crossbar or miss the net altogether. This also attributes to our dismal PP lately.
Statiscally, we dominated in many games that we didn't win. We attributed that to the opposing goalies standing on their head. No, it was our weak finishes that made them look great. This is pathetic/unacceptable given our heavy cap investment in our forwards.
Can finishing be learned or improved by practice? I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer. But when I look at Marner who has now developed into a respectable scorer from nothing, I'd think that if the team could put in an extra 1/2 hour or so in every practice to drill their shots and deflecting shots, we will undoubtedly be more lethal.

Reactions: ToneDog

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
More like 3 out of 6, I'd say.

We took 6 of a possible 6 points we could last set against them.

We took 3 of a possible 4 points we could this set.

They also took 3 of 4 possible for them, but that doesn’t equal 3 of 6, because it’s not possible for us to get 6 points in a 2 game series, which is what taking points refers to.

You aren’t wrong, but we managed to get 3 of our possible 4 points, which was the point

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If my memory serves me right, the entry on that goal had Yamamoto chipping it in past Rielly. I was screaming for Rielly to take that SOB into the boards and turn him into a greasy smear, damn the penalty. As it turned out, he should have listened to me. It would have been worth it.
Exactly correct but he was only partly at fault on that one ... da 1st goal was 100% on Rielly as he could easily have played mid ice on da pinch and taken da defensive position... 3rd goal against he could have made a Norris play on 2 on 1 but of course that type of play is reserved for games best defenders

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You gotta admire the Oil though they recognized that they don't have the talent to stand up man for man with the Leafs so they took every opportunity to run the Leafs, cheap, little dirty, shots, they know the refs want to Bettman-age. the game... so who in their right mind is going to call the game as it plays out, Uncle Gary wants close games... so they took advantage of the Bettmanaged game...

Leaf's should have started the OT on the PP but hey I guess knocking Hymans stick 10 feet into the air.. is not a PIM... it must have not reached the required 20ft into the air before its called a PIM... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think goal-tending is our biggest problem. In fact, when Freddie and Campbell are both healthy, I think We'll have a solid 1A-1B duo. What is concerning is Campbell seems very injury prone.
Our defensive plays are fine - much improved - this season.
What is most bothering is our failure to finish. We do a good job of puck possession in enemy zones under Keefe but when time comes to kick it in, we either shoot/pass the puck to the opposing goalie or hit the post/crossbar or miss the net altogether. This also attributes to our dismal PP lately.
Statiscally, we dominated in many games that we didn't win. We attributed that to the opposing goalies standing on their head. No, it was our weak finishes that made them look great. This is pathetic/unacceptable given our heavy cap investment in our forwards.
Can finishing be learned or improved by practice? I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer. But when I look at Marner who has now developed into a respectable scorer from nothing, I'd think that if the team could put in an extra 1/2 hour or so in every practice to drill their shots and deflecting shots, we will undoubtedly be more lethal.

I have similar views to you but some will tell you we have great finishers and our bottom 6 have produced as many goals as many other teams. The way I see it 34 and 91 are elite goal scorers. 16 and 88 are very good goal scorers but they miss too many chances. 11 and 19 are good scorers. The rest are MEH. Our defence with a combined 6 goals isn't helping the cause.

Reactions: Popeye7735

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
You need
I think its pathetic the idiots that always post in here how the Oiler fans are "losing their minds?" about a certain thing in their GDT and how they want to troll their board but when we lose and ***** about a certain moment in the game or "ref call" for 20+ pages if a fan of that team comes in here and starts trolling they get *****ed at. STFU take the L and move on. Also laugh at the "McDave dives posts" but youll gladly take him on your team when he hits free agency. Some of these guys really need to get a ****in clue. "Oilers fans are obsessed with Matthews" You're obsessed with their gdt.

You ok dude? Seriously lol that’s some major rage you got goin on

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It seems that the opposing goalie steals a point or win from us every game. I am starting to think it is not the opposing goalie but our lack of finish.

It's a bit of both, but there's no doubt Smith robbed us several times in both games.

Reactions: leafsfan5

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Why not both? I'd be fine at acquiring someone like Scott Laughton from Philly, from what I've seen he fits that very well. But looking at last year I found our biggest problem to be finishing. We had an abundance of chances against CBJ but couldn't cash in. Something similar is happening right now, we're playing great but the puck isn't finding its way into the back of the net. Getting another scorer to finish could potentially help a lot. Plus, with adding a top 6 forward we put Hyman down on the third line which has feasted and provides the depth scoring we need come playoff time. Mikehyev-Engvall-Hyman use the kind of size playoff teams need imo, very hard to knock off the puck during the cycle and defensively responsible too. If we're able to somehow swing a way where we get a top 6 forward (probably through double retention) and Scott Laughton I'd be ecstatic.

I don't know where Kerfoot fits in all of this though, he's probably the odd man out and someone we deal if we make a couple of moves.

The thing is, Kerfoot is an after-thought with players like Tavares and Matthews in the line-up. He's currently behind Marner and Spezza for assists per 60.
Perhaps the Leafs should get another scorer, but perhaps that scorer should be playing with Kerfoot.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The thing is, Kerfoot is an after-thought with players like Tavares and Matthews in the line-up. He's currently behind Marner and Spezza for assists per 60.
Perhaps the Leafs should get another scorer, but perhaps that scorer should be playing with Kerfoot.
It'd be nice if Mik started converting to become that scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad