Post-Game Talk: Mike Smith beats Hutch. Oilers win 3-2

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Hutch stats vs 85 other goalies who have played this season.
Keeping in mind he is our #3

#63 with 3-2-1 record
#32 Sv % 0.915
#32 GAA 2.49

I think that's pretty good.
The goalie talent will eventually dry up with so many teams.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Did the Oilers win The Cup tonight ? :sarcasm:

They're pretty excited over there !

They were lucky to get a point.

Who cares how happy they are. They are operating at top capacity and with health, and they barely beat us. With better goaltending we win quite easily.

Reactions: cupcrazyman

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
No worries. Oilers won't be going far in the playoffs anyways..
Neither will the leafs if we’re stuck with our current goaltending situation (Andersen being bad and hurt, soup hurt & counting on hutch to contribute anything substantial)

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Dubas, did something, you just don't do. Recently. He said we need a top seven forward, which by itself, is one the dumbest statements, ever, by a GM, in the NHL.

He is young, less than forty. No GM weill ever take him seriously after he stated that. It was the dumbest, bleat, by a GM in NHL history.

Worst bluff in NHL GM history.

Douche move. Makes me think he is related to Harold.

Great game tonight, both teams going full out.

But we have no goalies.

Get a goalie dumbass and don't embarass yourself, or your fellow GM's that you want a top seven

forward.

My best friend growing up, Gord Stellick was quite smarter than this guy. He just worked under tyrants and worse.

Dubas has the world behind him, and he says to the NHL, he needs a top seven forward.

No he doesn't, he needs goalies. He didnt fool anyone. And overnight, he is laughed at, throughout the NHl for creating a bad bluff.

Who the heck calls any player a top seven anyways?
Hey dingus! Get your facts straight. It was Pierre LeBrun who said we needed a top 7 forward, not Dubas. Holy crap. Th This board sure brings them out from under the bridge sometimes doesn't...trolls I mean...

Reactions: Leaftors and Lauro

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
A split is totally fine considering we had Hutch in net.

But if Dubas doesn't address this goalie situation i swear to god...

I don't see Kyle trading for a goalie. I think he will wait until Freddy or Jack is healthy.

He wants to address forward depth for sure. I kinda agree as goalies are voodoo and even if you bring one in who knows how they will play.

Plus Jack and Freddy can't be injured the whole season? Eventually one has to heal.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It was kinda, big time douche. I didn't like it. I am sure many here didn't either. We are presenting a guy we ditched, against a team battling us for first place.

To Hutchinson, he gave it, he battled. Didn't emberass himself. Only one who should be soiled is Dubas.

We have NO goaltending now. We never did. For two years.

Our team must be exhausted carrying ECHL goalies. I know I would.
What can the guy do? Dell was claimed and his starter and backup are injured.. Avalanche had Hutchinson starting in last seasons post season - it happens

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I think we're very lucky TO played Edmonton basically in the 1st 1/2 of the season.

PP sucks, major time, what was that 19 PP opportunities o goals.

Offence sucks, 2 goals seems to becoming the norm, 40 mil. on 4 players and they can only muster barely over 2 goals per game over 10 games when it counts.

Goaltending could be better but no goaltender should be expected to win when the team only scores so little per game.

What happened to that team from the 1st period, total domination, then they let up, Hutch was the hero tonite, Hutch?

Every goalie TO plays looks like a Vezina candidate, coincidence, bad luck, goaltending/defense might be TO's greatest strength, forwards that can score is needed, forwards with enough stamina to play an entire game would also help.

This is the same team that was limping to the end of the season last year, had TO played an entire season it was very likely TO might not have made the playoffs.

Marner played 21:45, Matthews 22:16, Hy 22:19 meanwhile JT 16 mins, Ny 15 min., are the best players playing too much, are the other quality players playing too little, it's certainly rare to play forwards more than the top pairing d-men. I think in a year like this with the condensed schedule overplaying forwards to this extent has a price.

One of the things I've liked about Keefe is his willingness to mix things up when things aren't clicking either game to game and even within a game but I wonder with such a long dry spell why isn't he trying something different with the PP?

Nylander is a player who becomes better when playing realy much. It is in his genes. I know many say you cant put the player before the team. But if a player make the team better by playing more, play them more! Some players play the same no matter what. Some dont. Adjust accordingly.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
And who in Toronto is he forcing out of the lineup?
Seriously eh... you think it would be some force to dump some of these wet noodles in our bottom six out of the lineup. He’s more useful than Vesey,Engvall,Thornton,Barabanov,Boyd,Brooks,Petan just off the top of my head. Do you know Thornton has 22 shots in 23 games and 5 hits with 50% more icetime than Lemieux. Who do you think he could replace beyond the obvious 6. After that,they aren’t that special and they definitely have no intention of playing physical now or in the playoffs. How does every single one of them beyond the top six sound to you. I’m pretty amused.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Wow the Oiler threads are painful. Game thread was whining about phantom penalties all night, now they won the Stanley Cup and own the North. Lol.
WHO GIVES A FLYING ****!! what the other team boards think? Jesus, some people are pathetic. We have idiots in here that act like we won the stanley cup by beating them middle of the ****in season everytime we beat them. Its pathetic that people focus on what the opposition fans think all the time. I can promise you everytime we beat them, I dont go through their boards wondering what they think of us/ or the Leafs after they lose.

I pour myself a nice glass of whiskey trash talk my friends and family and call it a day with a nice W. Some should do the same.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
WHO GIVES A FLYING ****!! what the other team boards think? Jesus, some people are pathetic. We have idiots in here that act like we won the stanley cup by beating them middle of the ****in season everytime we beat them. Its pathetic that people focus on what the opposition fans think all the time. I can promise you everytime we beat them, I dont go through their boards wondering what they think of us/ or the Leafs after they lose.

I pour myself a nice glass of whiskey trash talk my friends and family and call it a day with a nice W. Some should do the same.
Well said !

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
We was out goaltended. Not that Hutch played poorly, but Smith was other worldly. Poinr blank shots, cross ice dives (poor Soupy again) anf if Matthews sinks just one of the 3 or 4 point blanks he missed, it is over. Should have been 5-1. I do like the work ethic and Gally on the JT line. Those first two lines were all over them. Need a big physical grinding center for the 3rd line. A Jordan Stall type.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
They were lucky to get a point.

Who cares how happy they are. They are operating at top capacity and with health, and they barely beat us. With better goaltending we win quite easily.
This game was evenly played and was close, statistically the Leafs should have won 3-2, but the difference was the Oilers had great goaltending. Neither team won this game convincingly and that's why it was tied after regulation.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
We was out goaltended. Not that Hutch played poorly, but Smith was other worldly. Poinr blank shots, cross ice dives (poor Soupy again) anf if Matthews sinks just one of the 3 or 4 point blanks he missed, it is over. Should have been 5-1. I do like the work ethic and Gally on the JT line. Those first two lines were all over them. Need a big physical grinding center for the 3rd line. A Jordan Stall type.
Omg do we ever need that at Centre on the 3rd line

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
How is rielly still so bad at defence? What an awful read on that play. He literally did nothing. Didn't take the shot or pass away...

Maybe try to learn something from your partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad