Post-Game Talk: Mike Smith beats Hutch. Oilers win 3-2

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
upload_2021-3-30_6-48-45.png

once again, dominated the game. Could not bury. All too familiar. It was the level of goaltending I'd expect from hutch. He gave us a shot. He's gotta make one of the saves on either the 1st goal or the OT goal. There really wasn't much there on either. I will give him a pass on the OT one, I am sure McDavid coming down on on you throws any idea on how to play that out the door. Just frustrating to see goalies make that exact save routinely, only to have our goalie be a foot behind. Nurse didn't even 1 time that pass, and he had the whole short side to shoot at. Hard to blame anyone but the players who aren't burrying though. The advanced Stats above are shockingly closer than what i saw with my own eyes. To me the HDCF% was more like 80% to the leafs favor. I am actually confused how the leafs only managed to generate 12 HDCF, I must be have different criteria. Not to mention, I am not sure how EDM generated 7 HDCF. The fact that the 2 shots in OT were both 2 on 1's and not categorized as HDCF is a bit alarming. Makes me question Naturalstatrick's data a bit. I guess its all relative if it is equal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
With Nurse scoring his 12th goal (all ES), 3 for Rielly seems a little underwhelming. What happened to the 2018-2019 version of this guy ?
There is not much to say Nurse is a far better defender than Rielly ... he always has been and always will be ... da only think Rielly has on Nurse is flat on straight away speed ... but even on that topic he was beat flat out in a foot race by an Oiler 3rd liner on 1st Oilers goal .. clearly he has not been trained properly in defense ... he broke da cardinal rule for defenders when you are last man back ... and then he contributed with brutal defensive positioning on Oilers 2nd goal ... and finally on Oilers 3rd goal he could not come up with a superstar Norris type play on Oilers 2 on 1 to end game which could have redeemed himself from his p*ss poor play last night ...

This is exactly why he will never be looked at as one of games better defenders ... although Keefer curtailed his key minutes after to send him a message ... a Norris quality defender just can't play that poorly

Great game by Smitty ... we were better team again and should have won by a couple ... Hutch worked hard but he is not an NHL level goaler ... on too next game ... Zach continues to be our best player game in and game out this season ... very very impressive almost every game as our top all round player

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
If Andy is heathy he will be the starter. If he is not, you cannot ride a goalie that has not proven he can play more than 2 games in a row, especially with Hutch next up.

Cap hit must fit no question about it, but ask can be negotiated and if you have to overpay some (not a ridiculous amout), you have to do it IMO.

I disagree Andersen will be the starter if both goalies are healthy, probably closer to a 1A/1B platoon situation. Keefe wants to win games not worry about Andersen's feelings. Leafs owe Andy nothing after this season, there's barely any runway left.

Management aren't blind, nobody will question Keefe if Campbell is the number 1 come playoff time. We all know what we're getting with Freddy.

There's also the obstacle where Andersen would have to waive his NTC.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Wishful thinking. Andersen will never agree to a backup role, especially with his contract up this year.

He doesn't have to agree to anything, Keefe decides who starts, not Andersen. Andersen has already lost himself a lot of money in his contract year with his play this season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Andy is heathy he will be the starter. If he is not, you cannot ride a goalie that has not proven he can play more than 2 games in a row, especially with Hutch next up.

Cap hit must fit no question about it, but ask can be negotiated and if you have to overpay some (not a ridiculous amout), you have to do it IMO.

There's way too much time left to say that. If Campbell stays healthy, is able to start most games and plays like a quality starter between now and the playoffs, I sure as hell wouldn't take him out for Andersen just because he's healthy again. IMHO the job is his to lose.

No you are not moving most of your current roster. By overpaying I mean by a or upgrading a mid round pick or lower or a B- prospect.

For that price, we're not going to get anyone that moves the needle. And we badly need someone who will move the needle.

Yep, I believe he would refuse and in his strange way of thinking would believe he has a better chance of getting a decent contract not being looked upon as a backup.

Not a chance. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that any player in the world would be that stupid.

Reactions: Leaftors

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With Nurse scoring his 12th goal (all ES), 3 for Rielly seems a little underwhelming. What happened to the 2018-2019 version of this guy ?

That seems to have been a one off in terms of goal scoring. He's going to get assists, particularly on this team... but that 20 goal season was more than double any previous year, or anything since. If you can pick up Ekholm, and move Rielly before the expansion draft, you do so.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Even though we thoroughly outplayed the Oilers again, I'm content with the OT point considering the major disadvantage we had in goal.

Galchenyuk had another strong game.

Reactions: kb and klmdg

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Wishful thinking. Andersen will never agree to a backup role, especially with his contract up this year.

Yep i agree, i believe Andersen will get pissed if they make him a healthy backup, and most likely he will suck big time when played... I have said Freddy will start as soon as he is healthy .... I have also said Dubas is in a spot, if Campbell chokes as a number 1 and you give Freddy the number 1 back with 5 games left in the season, we will be in big trouble

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Did Sakic have goalie issues/injuries all season and stand pat?
Colorado had goalie injuries in-season, and had unproven goalies, and their only move was to get Hutchinson. Hutch started and lost game 7 for them. By Tonedog's logic, Sakic should have been fired.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know why I expected different, but I was curious to see how Oilers fans found this game. As in, were my eyes deceiving me?? We completely dominated them right lol? Either their fans are completely delusional, or I am missing something. They keep bitching about the non-calls they didn't get, which is totally fair. But there were like 3 egregious Non-Calls on both sides. Matthews got so blatantly tripped like 2 feet away from an official in the 1st and nothing, Marner gets cro-checked from behind into the boards when he doesn't even have the puck.... I feel like I am taking crazy pills after reading their board lol. I'm a homer leaf fan, crazy some may say. But even I can admit when the Leafs stole a pt or 2, these guys feel like its redemption for all the "unlucky bounces" they got on Saturday. Yet they had 20% of the HDCF on Saturday....The only Lucky bounce was that the oilers got a single pt that game lol. In all seriousness. This would be a dream matchup for the NHL and the Leafs IMO. Of course McDrai are generational players, but the rest of the team outside of Nurse is complete trash. They did nothing to move the needle in 9 games against the leafs. McDrai are so good they can win games just by themselves, but the Leafs are without a shadow of a doubt the better club. Oilers could obviously pair a good McDrai game with Mike Smith playing above his abilities like he did yesterday and steal a couple games. But If my memory serves correct, they only outplayed us maybe 2 times in that 9 game season series.

Last edited:

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Preferably in the playoffs
Tor vs Edmonton (I truly think half that board would commit suicide if they lost out to us)
WPG vs MTL (avoid potential god mode Price or Helle in the first round)

Tor vs WPG (only makes sense to have the best two teams in the division duke it out for the crown)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I never want to hear anything about unlucky bounces when their second goal was going to go 8 feet wide and hit turris and went in.
It is how hockey gods work man ... last game we got da lucky bounces and this game they got them ... call it whatever you want LUCK is part of hockey .. always has been always will be

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I don't know why I expected different, but I was curious to see how Oilers fans found this game. As in, were my eyes deceiving me?? We completely dominated them right lol? Either their fans are completely delusional, or I am missing something. They keep bitching about the non-calls they didn't get, which is totally fair. But there were like 3 egregious Non-Calls on both sides. Matthews got so blatantly tripped like 2 feet away from an official in the 1st and nothing, Marner gets cro-checked from behind into the boards when he doesn't even have the puck.... I feel like I am taking crazy pills after reading there board lol. I'm a homer leaf fan, crazy some may say. But even I can admit when the Leafs stole a pt or 2, these guys feel like its redemption for all the "unlucky bounces" they got on Saturday. Yet they had 20% of the HDCF on Saturday....The only Lucky bounce was that the oilers got a single pt that game lol. In all seriousness. This would be a dream matchup for the NHL and the Leafs IMO. Of course McDrai are generational players, but the rest of the team outside of Nurse is complete trash. They did nothing to move the needle in 7 games against the leafs. McDrai are so good they can win games just by themselves, but the Leafs are without a shadow of a doubt the better club. Oilers could obviously pair a good McDrai game with Mike Smith playing above his abilities like he did yesterday and steal a couple games. But If my memory serves correct, they only outplayed us maybe 1 time in that 7 game season series.

The Oiler HFboarder are possibly the worst fan base when it comes to blaming the Refs, and they really dislike the Leafs and this fan base and even claim NHL head office wants them to lose when they play the Leafs, its hard to take them seriously lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I don't know why I expected different, but I was curious to see how Oilers fans found this game. As in, were my eyes deceiving me?? We completely dominated them right lol? Either their fans are completely delusional, or I am missing something. They keep bitching about the non-calls they didn't get, which is totally fair. But there were like 3 egregious Non-Calls on both sides. Matthews got so blatantly tripped like 2 feet away from an official in the 1st and nothing, Marner gets cro-checked from behind into the boards when he doesn't even have the puck.... I feel like I am taking crazy pills after reading there board lol. I'm a homer leaf fan, crazy some may say. But even I can admit when the Leafs stole a pt or 2, these guys feel like its redemption for all the "unlucky bounces" they got on Saturday. Yet they had 20% of the HDCF on Saturday....The only Lucky bounce was that the oilers got a single pt that game lol. In all seriousness. This would be a dream matchup for the NHL and the Leafs IMO. Of course McDrai are generational players, but the rest of the team outside of Nurse is complete trash. They did nothing to move the needle in 7 games against the leafs. McDrai are so good they can win games just by themselves, but the Leafs are without a shadow of a doubt the better club. Oilers could obviously pair a good McDrai game with Mike Smith playing above his abilities like he did yesterday and steal a couple games. But If my memory serves correct, they only outplayed us maybe 1 time in that 7 game season series.
I think that's the problem, as fans of all teams are starting to get frustrated with the non calls, both ways. The trip on mathews, and the interference on mcdavid in OT are so obvious that they NEED to be called, no matter the situation.

And you are right, I felt toronto controlled the play for most of the game, I felt we were skating in molasses and overall I wouldn't like our chances vs the Leafs in a playoff picture. The Leafs just do too well of a job shutting down mcdrai and unlike any other team in the north, it exposes our lack of depth.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

If it were up to me, I'd be looking to send Fred the other way in a move for a goalie. That would create a fair amount of cap space and we don't want Fred hanging around as a potentially disgruntled third wheel anyway.

Fred's actual salary at this point is minimal and any team looking to move a decent goalie at TDL probably doesn't mind taking on his cap. We can add sweeteners as needed.

Is there a goalie out there who checks all the boxes?
  • Available in trade?
  • Can be fit under cap for more or less what Fred makes?
  • Can be part of a solid tandem along with Campbell?
  • Could be relied on heavily if Campbell's durability remains an issue?
Those, to me, are the primary considerations. All the better if said goalie wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to acquire (though I'd be willing to trade some high-end assets to solve this problem) and is under a decent contract beyond this year (though a rental situation would be ok too).

Are there any such options? I'll leave that to Dubes to figure out! Unfortunately I suspect he will cross his fingers that Andersen and Campbell can get and stay healthy and get the job done. My belief is that this game plan will result in failure.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think that's the problem, as fans of all teams are starting to get frustrated with the non calls, both ways. The trip on mathews, and the interference on mcdavid in OT are so obvious that they NEED to be called, no matter the situation.

And you are right, I felt toronto controlled the play for most of the game, I felt we were skating in molasses and overall I wouldn't like our chances vs the Leafs in a playoff picture. The Leafs just do too well of a job shutting down mcdrai and unlike any other team in the north, it exposes our lack of depth.
100% agree. There were at least 2 times in that game as a leaf fan where i was like oh boy that needs to be called. Pretty sure hyman tripped someone right after the Oiler PP and it also was a very obvious Non-call. But overall I would say the refs at least played it even. I don't think 1 team deserved more calls than the other. SO i really don't mind them hiding the whistles a bit, as long as the balance remains the same. I Don't understand why Tippet keeps Mcdavid and Draisatl together. The oilers at least looked far more dangerous when they were apart. They obviously are the most special duo in the league, but they can operate together on the PP (if they get one lol), and they instantly make whoever they play with more dangerous. Maybe thats just me

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There is not much to say Nurse is a far better defender than Rielly ... he always has been and always will be ... da only think Rielly has on Nurse is flat on straight away speed ... but even on that topic he was beat flat out in a foot race by an Oiler 3rd liner on 1st Oilers goal .. clearly he has not been trained properly in defense ... he broke da cardinal rule for defenders when you are last man back ... and then he contributed with brutal defensive positioning on Oilers 2nd goal ... and finally on Oilers 3rd goal he could not come up with a superstar Norris type play on Oilers 2 on 1 to end game which could have redeemed himself from his p*ss poor play last night ...

This is exactly why he will never be looked at as one of games better defenders ... although Keefer curtailed his key minutes after to send him a message ... a Norris quality defender just can't play that poorly

Great game by Smitty ... we were better team again and should have won by a couple ... Hutch worked hard but he is not an NHL level goaler ... on too next game ... Zach continues to be our best player game in and game out this season ... very very impressive almost every game as our top all round player

I don't understand something about Rielly. Is it a mental thing when it comes to playing actual Defense or something else? I mean, I get you can't teach someone to be a naturally gifted scorer or passer..but can't you learn to defend? I just shake my head with him sometimes...he really doesn't know how to defend ...like at all. I would have thought Babs first few years of reigning him in would have helped him tremendously on the defensive side but it looks like he either doesn't understand or just can't do it.

Another guy is Dermott...he is so obsessed with the zone entry break-up that he puts himself in all kind of awkward positions...and taking the puck out of the D-zone with him almost always ends up in a dump in. He can skate nicely...but is weak along the boards and useless offensively. Craig Button was right about him when he said that just because you skate well as a D-man doesn't mean it will translate to points. I think most of his points in Eerie were from playing with McDavid.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
The Oiler HFboarder are possibly the worst fan base when it comes to blaming the Refs, and they really dislike the Leafs and this fan base and even claim NHL head office wants them to lose when they play the Leafs, its hard to take them seriously lol

Never read much there before but good God have they always whined this much? Jeez they cry even harder when they win quite entertaining in small doses!

Reactions: Mr Hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->