Post-Game Talk: Mike Smith beats Hutch. Oilers win 3-2

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Good point, point taken. I think I did say that I believe we are better than the Oilers, I just think it's not a given that we would beat them if we faced them in the playoffs and I think they deserve more respect than some people are giving them. I was pointing to the standings to show that there's not a huge gap between us at the moment anyway, I'd also say that going to OT twice in a row against them like we just did also suggests that they're not the doormats some people think they are.

I haven't looked at the cup odds lately but you've made me curious. I suspect that our goalie woes would have a negative impact there.

I agree with you, I don't think the Leafs should be viewed as heavy favourites against the Oilers, or Winnipeg either for that matter.

I was just trying to point out that valid reasons were given as why some might find the standings misleading in this case, which you appeared to dismiss and just repeat that the standings were close. But when I pointed at the standings for why the Leafs shouldn't have been viewed as favourites over the Blue Jackets you dimissed that too. I am happy to move on though.

If a series against the Oilers started tomorrow though, I would like the Leafs chances better against them then I did going into the Columbus series last year.

Per Bodog:

Cup:

Leafs: +650, Tied with Colorado for 2nd best behind Tampa at +550, Vegas close behind the Leafs and Avs at +700.
Oilers: +1700

I think that's generous to the Leafs.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Dubas, did something, you just don't do. Recently. He said we need a top seven forward, which by itself, is one the dumbest statements, ever, by a GM, in the NHL.

He is young, less than forty. No GM weill ever take him seriously after he stated that. It was the dumbest, bleat, by a GM in NHL history.

Worst bluff in NHL GM history.

Douche move. Makes me think he is related to Harold.

Great game tonight, both teams going full out.

But we have no goalies.

Get a goalie dumbass and don't embarass yourself, or your fellow GM's that you want a top seven

forward.

My best friend growing up, Gord Stellick was quite smarter than this guy. He just worked under tyrants and worse.

Dubas has the world behind him, and he says to the NHL, he needs a top seven forward.

No he doesn't, he needs goalies. He didnt fool anyone. And overnight, he is laughed at, throughout the NHl for creating a bad bluff.

Who the heck calls any player a top seven anyways?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Dubas, did something, you just don't do. Recently. He said we need a top seven forward, which by itself, is one the dumbest statements, ever, by a GM, in the NHL.

He is young, less than forty. No GM weill ever take him seriously after he stated that. It was the dumbest, bleat, by a GM in NHL history.

But we have no goalies.

Get a goalie dumbass and don't embarass yourself, or your fellow GM's that you want a top seven

forward.

My best friend growing up, Gord Stellick was quite smarter than this guy. He just worked under tyrants and worse.

Dubas has the world behind him, and he says to the NHL, he needs a top seven forward.

No he doesn't, he needs goalies. He didnt fool anyone. And overnight, he is laughed at, throughout the NHl for creating a bad bluff.

lol.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

But we have no goalies.

forward.

Do you really think GMs believe what other GMs say in public?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Matthews looked awful on the backcheck in OT. Lazy, instead of skating he tried to hold on to McDavid. Should've turned around and hustled his ass on the back check to take Nurse. Rielly played the 2 on 1 terribly too, I don't fault Hutch on that or any goal tbh. A breakaway, deflection in front, and a 2 on 1 which was essentially a 2 on 0 the way Rielly/Matthews played it.

Same story, dominate the other team, can't convert, other team gets 2-3 chances all game and convert on all of them. We need to start burying our chances, hitting too many posts and getting robbed or maybe misplacing shots. Loved the effort all game from everyone, thought we played a complete game, just didn't convert.

Reactions: LeafsRus

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Gave up 43 shots combined in last two and had to go to overtime both games. Goaltending is the sh!ts

We're just not converting on our chances. We didn't lose because of Hutch, we lost because of Smith. I don't know how Hutch really had a chance on any of those. He's not an elite goalie we know that, at best he's a backup and did a fine job as a backup. He made the saves he needed to, we had plenty of chances to bury them tonight, just couldn't convert. That's been our biggest issue. Our shooters need to find ways to make the most of our opportunities. We're generating a shit ton.

Reactions: Popeye7735

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
NO goalie, no fun. No tickie, no laundry.

The Leafs played hard tonight, real hard. It was like a playoff game.

But a guy we essentially ran out of town, was our goalie tonight.

Billion dollar franchise? And this goalie is all we can procur?

Gotta say, its almost funny. Till you look at the win and loss column.

Dubas, I want your job.

Maybe you have been given a mandate, just make the Leafs adorable, and competitive

If so, you are doing a really good job. Great job.

If you have been told give us a champ, you are a chimp.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No he was getting 10 mins a game and not used right there. Moved for a fourth from LA. Which is a early 4th. Dubas could beat that one. He gets on pucks and plays two way hockey. Dubas screws us again i swear I’m going to lose it.

And who in Toronto is he forcing out of the lineup?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Season series with the Oilers now complete, here are the stats.
  • PTS: 14
  • PTS conceded: 7
  • GF: 31
  • GA: 19
  • TOI & CF% leading: 247:44, 42.07%
  • TOI & CF% tied: 208:31, 51.90%
  • TOI & CF% trailing: 88:38, 62.09%
  • PP: 9/23, 39.10%
  • PK: 4/20, 80.00%
  • SH%: 12.06%
  • SV%: 92.28%
  • Scored first: 5 times
We held McDavid to 10 points & scoreless three times and Draisaitl to 11 points & scoreless twice. And we held the Oilers to three goals in nine games with 29 & 97 off the ice.

I think the Oilers would be a rather favourable playoff matchup, much more so than Winnipeg and arguably Montreal as well.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
It was kinda, big time douche. I didn't like it. I am sure many here didn't either. We are presenting a guy we ditched, against a team battling us for first place.

To Hutchinson, he gave it, he battled. Didn't emberass himself. Only one who should be soiled is Dubas.

We have NO goaltending now. We never did. For two years.

Our team must be exhausted carrying ECHL goalies. I know I would.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
It was kinda, big time douche. I didn't like it. I am sure many here didn't either. We are presenting a guy we ditched, against a team battling us for first place.

To Hutchinson, he gave it, he battled. Didn't emberass himself. Only one who should be soiled is Dubas.

We have NO goaltending now. We never did. For two years.

Our team must be exhausted carrying ECHL goalies. I know I would.

Top seven forward Kyle? Take off the nerd glasses.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

But we have no goalies.

forward.

Would you mind posting a link for this, thx. I saw where he said he'd be willing to move a top prospect or draft pick for a quality forward, but a quick Google didn't send me in the right direction. Cheers.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Loved the effort. Not even mad about today's loss. I'm gonna chuck this one up to a Goalie loss.

Also side not...I'm not a fan of the Spezza/Thornton/Kerfoot line. Way too slow. Way too soft. All 3 just look out of place. Kerfoot needs to be traded sooner than later

Reactions: willmma

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place

But we have no goalies.

forward.

What the f*** did I just read.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think people need to lay off Hutch. The guy is a 3rd stringer for a reason. He kept us in this game and didn't allow anything crazy to put us out of striking distance. You win some, you lose some. Overall, great effort by the boys. I really hope we can maybe see a game from Veini. I want to see what this kid looks like in net. Maybe we have some value there.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I'm really not upset over this loss. Just another easy point against the loilers.

We need a trade to shake things up. Need more depth at scoring and priority of a penalty killer/ defenseman. Do we go for a goalie?

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I think we're very lucky TO played Edmonton basically in the 1st 1/2 of the season.

PP sucks, major time, what was that 19 PP opportunities o goals.

Offence sucks, 2 goals seems to becoming the norm, 40 mil. on 4 players and they can only muster barely over 2 goals per game over 10 games when it counts.

Goaltending could be better but no goaltender should be expected to win when the team only scores so little per game.

What happened to that team from the 1st period, total domination, then they let up, Hutch was the hero tonite, Hutch?

Every goalie TO plays looks like a Vezina candidate, coincidence, bad luck, goaltending/defense might be TO's greatest strength, forwards that can score is needed, forwards with enough stamina to play an entire game would also help.

This is the same team that was limping to the end of the season last year, had TO played an entire season it was very likely TO might not have made the playoffs.

Marner played 21:45, Matthews 22:16, Hy 22:19 meanwhile JT 16 mins, Ny 15 min., are the best players playing too much, are the other quality players playing too little, it's certainly rare to play forwards more than the top pairing d-men. I think in a year like this with the condensed schedule overplaying forwards to this extent has a price.

One of the things I've liked about Keefe is his willingness to mix things up when things aren't clicking either game to game and even within a game but I wonder with such a long dry spell why isn't he trying something different with the PP?

Reactions: LeafsRus

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2