Mike Ribeiro relapses into alcoholism; NHL future in doubt

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Some posters here are using isolated personal experiences and projecting that on every situation. "My dad quit drinking"... "I drink a lot and its my choice"... Instead of realizing that each situation is unique, each individual is affected differently my drugs/alcohol and each recovery is different. As well as ignoring that there is strong medical evidence that says they are wrong to write off addiction as just "a personal choice".

Oh. Yes. Agreed.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think it's more like, "I experienced this abuse and watched this destruction from this person and the last thing I wanted to see was them walking around telling everybody it was a disease so everyone should feel sorry for me."

16 year old kid: "Hey Dad, you sideswiped my car when you came home from the bar last night. You gonna help me get it fixed?"

Dad: "I've got a disease god dammit. Have some empathy you sociopath!"

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think it's more like, "I experienced this abuse and watched this destruction from this person and the last thing I wanted to see was them walking around telling everybody it was a disease so everyone should feel sorry for me."

16 year old kid: "Hey Dad, you sideswiped my car when you came home from the bar last night. You gonna help me get it fixed?"

Dad: "I've got a disease god dammit. Have some empathy you sociopath!"
Acknowledging that it's a disease does not imply enabling dodging of responsibility. It just means that some form of professional help beyond "he'll get over it eventually" is probably needed to address the problem.

Indeed, I would find that even more reprehensible.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It seems that, although more serious, a lot of people view addiction in the same light as anxiety disorder. There's a lot of line-teetering between whether or not to call it a disease and there are a lot of people who don't experience it who look at people and think "Eh, they'll get over it. It's not a big deal." In reality that's pretty much the worst view to have.

A lot of people seem to think both aren't "real" diseases and even if someone does think it is, there's always that caveat as thinking people use it as an excuse for behavior, like mentioned above.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
I've got news for you, almost everyone knows someone like that. People like to get high. Yes, doctors have not done a good job at all regulating and monitoring patients and prescriptions and that has been a big factor.

I wonder why :rolleyes:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Little update on Ribeiro (french article) : http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/7d1310d8-795a-4501-bc76-d9aaa61dbaad%7C_0.html

His agent (Bob Perno) says Ribeiro hasn't reached anyone since the end of last season. He hasn't trained or put skates since. No team from the NHL or Europe has called. His career is over.

Perno says everyone tried helping him and it looked great but it ultimately failed and now they're hopeless.

Sad story.

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
Forgive me for being insensitive, but I feel no sympathy. This is a man who if not for his wealth and an abundance of people to cover for him (such as his wife) would be jail for what he admittedly did to his nanny.
I do believe that addiction is a disease that requires serious help, and I feel for those affected. Just not for Mike.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Forgive me for being insensitive, but I feel no sympathy. This is a man who if not for his wealth and an abundance of people to cover for him (such as his wife) would be jail for what he admittedly did to his nanny.
I do believe that addiction is a disease that requires serious help, and I feel for those affected. Just not for Mike.

because he's rich?

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York

Evil Ted

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah this was interesting to listen to actually. You can tell he's had demons for a long time not that it excuses his behavior but it definitely gives you perspective on him.

It gives an honest objective opinion and perspective of the people who are involved and what sort of road it has taken to get here. Shame for his children who potentially are going to lose there father forever as a result you can tell even though all the crap he has done they still love him and miss him very much.

Again I recommend people listen to what Bob Perno has to say on the subject he knows more about the subject of the player then anyone else on here.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/perno-we-can-t-get-in-touch-with-mike-ribeiro-1.843986

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The guy is in a better situation than any of us if we had the problems he did with addiction. If he can't admit to his issues and get help that's really on him.

Sadly he hasn't just hurt himself. After he pulled that **** with the nanny he's lucky that he even had a NHL job.

I feel for his wife and kids, but guys like him who have had second chances and continue to blow them get no sympathy.

Reactions: El Cohiba

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Seems to me Ribeiro is happy as an alcoholic, people here are very quick in judging someone for doing what they like. You can't force someone to "get help" if they don't even want it - I really dislike this part of "society". "Admitting his problems" etc. is bs.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Little update on Ribeiro (french article) : http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/7d1310d8-795a-4501-bc76-d9aaa61dbaad%7C_0.html

His agent (Bob Perno) says Ribeiro hasn't reached anyone since the end of last season. He hasn't trained or put skates since. No team from the NHL or Europe has called. His career is over.

Perno says everyone tried helping him and it looked great but it ultimately failed and now they're hopeless.

Sad story.

Not that sad. If alcoholism was the only factor, sure, he may have my sympathy. Mike Ribeiro is an unlikeable D-bag who, by all accounts, was not a very good person and I have no sadness for him and the millions he was lucky to earn and the life he was priviliged to live, even if he only got to do so for X number of years instead of Y.

Edit: I may come off as petty but I struggle to think of a player I disliked as much as Ribeiro, especially after hearing about his sexual misbehaviors.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Seems to me Ribeiro is happy as an alcoholic, people here are very quick in judging someone for doing what they like. You can't force someone to "get help" if they don't even want it - I really dislike this part of "society". "Admitting his problems" etc. is bs.

Has Rebeiro gone missing like this before?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
hard to feel bad for him after the whole nanny situation

plus it's pretty telling when the only stories you've heard about the guy from people who met him are about how awful of a human being he is

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Not that sad. If alcoholism was the only factor, sure, he may have my sympathy. Mike Ribeiro is an unlikeable D-bag who, by all accounts, was not a very good person and I have no sadness for him and the millions he was lucky to earn and the life he was priviliged to live, even if he only got to do so for X number of years instead of Y.

Edit: I may come off as petty but I struggle to think of a player I disliked as much as Ribeiro, especially after hearing about his sexual misbehaviors.

This is exactly where i am at as well. Always thought the guy was an absolute clown.

MisterUnspoken

Vintage
Nov 10, 2002
New York
Summation of interview

- Has been MIA for over 2 months
- Has been and is battling depression
- Relapsed around Christmas time
- Has not returned calls or texts from anyone
- Left rehab in 2013 after 1.5 months and had been sober for over 2 years
- His family has reached out to him to get help but not getting anywhere
- Don Meehan and Bob Perno have been trying to help him and get him in a program for substance abuse
- They don't feel he has hit rock bottom yet
- They feel Mike thinks there is no way out of his current situation and is extremely depressed and he realizes his career is over
- They talked about his past, childhood, around the draft, his career, etc

It's better to listen to because you can hear Bobs exasperation and general frustration

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad