Mike Ribeiro relapses into alcoholism; NHL future in doubt

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
per Richard Labbe of La Press, via Greg Wyshynski of Puck Daddy
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/mike-...t-165640978.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

According to his agent, this is probably his last season in the National Hockey League, and potentially in North America.

Recall that Ribeiro went into the NHL/NHL Players’ Association substance abuse and behavioral health program at the end of the 2013-14 season with the Arizona Coyotes. His agent, Bob Perno, tells Richard Labbé of La Presse that Ribeiro relapsed into alcoholism “before the holidays” this season.
“Mike is currently in Nashville and he’s trying to get better. He’s at resting and he’s giving himself a few more months to come to a decision about his future in hockey,” said Perno to La Presse. “Mike had a relapse with regards to his issues with alcohol, and he has to get better/take care of himself. It’s the kind of thing that can jeopardize a career, especially at his age.”
That Ribeiro is even employed is a point of contention. The beleaguered center settled a sexual assault case brought by his family’s former nanny, who was 18 at the time of the incident, in 2015

Ribeiro is an unrestricted free agent after this season, having made $7 million over the last two seasons after GM David Poile basically looked the other way on his civil suit and called Ribeiro “a family man.”

His agent told La Presse that Ribeiro’s NHL future is in doubt.

“If this is where it ends, I think he can be proud of the career he’s had. He might be able to go play in Europe, but when it comes to the NHL, we have to be realistic. It’s going to be difficult,” said Perno.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Useless as a player and glad his career is over. But not wishing it was for the reasons he will be leaving.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
There are players NHL could do without. He's one of them

I have no sympathy towards him as a player. I do wish the best for his family.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Many of his on ice problems are a direct result of this.
I wish him the best. Hopefully, if he wants, he can play overseas. Sometimes a change of scenery is the best treatment.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
People who have never experienced it don't understand this is a disease. You are sick, and you do and say things you do not mean. However, everytime you feel shame, instead of owning up to it, you feel the need to turn back to the one thing that brings you comfort.

Doesn't help that society and a lot of treatment programs are demeaning and make you feel like you are scum. You already know that you are, and your shame fuels your addiction.

I bet when he is clean he is a great man. My best wishes go out to him and most importantly his loved ones as they are the silent victims in all of this. Hoping he is able to have his moment that many of us have had and it "clicks" and he gets clean.

Especially playing sports, temptation is everywhere. Hell, even going out for supper with a few team mates someone will order a beer. If you ask them not to, you feel like a burden. It's easy to become antisocial due to this and turn back to your comfort.

Hope he can overcome his demons.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
People who have never experienced it don't understand this is a disease. You are sick, and you do and say things you do not mean. However, everytime you feel shame, instead of owning up to it, you feel the need to turn back to the one thing that brings you comfort.

Doesn't help that society and a lot of treatment programs are demeaning and make you feel like you are scum. You already know that you are, and your shame fuels your addiction.

I bet when he is clean he is a great man. My best wishes go out to him and most importantly his loved ones as they are the silent victims in all of this. Hoping he is able to have his moment that many of us have had and it "clicks" and he gets clean.

Especially playing sports, temptation is everywhere. Hell, even going out for supper with a few team mates someone will order a beer. If you ask them not to, you feel like a burden. It's easy to become antisocial due to this and turn back to your comfort.

While I've never had a drug or alcohol addiction problem (Not saying Mike has a drug problem, just they seem to relate in a lot of issues we see today and even in the past (People still think drug and alcohol abuse are recent, when even during ancient times they were common, and probably even more so), I myself have been diagnosed with certain autism and other disorders that I prefer not to get in detail in. So I can understand Ribeiro's issue in that sometimes even if one "really" wants to change, it seems almost impossible. Your mind is just so complex.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Is this a cry for help? If I were in Ribeiro's shoes right now, I wouldn't want my agent blabbing to the press about my personal life.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Many of his on ice problems are a direct result of this.
I wish him the best. Hopefully, if he wants, he can play overseas. Sometimes a change of scenery is the best treatment.

That's what David Poile and the Predators hoped, change of scenery, second chance, gave the guy a solid break. Kudo's to them for the faith in the guy. Even kept him on salary in Milwaukee instead of canning him on the spot.

Guess some times there isn't any help.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hope he gets better.

Empathy aside, I dont care if he ever plays hockey again. Still cant understand how the Coyotes had to buy him out of his previous contract.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hope he gets better.

Empathy aside, I dont care if he ever plays hockey again. Still cant understand how the Coyotes had to buy him out of his previous contract.

Joys of guaranteed contracts. He didn't do anything bad enough to jeopardize that.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

[MOD]

Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
He was given a second chance after hitting rock bottom which is more than most addicts get. Relapsing is understandable but it's still a choice. I hope he is able to recover but he needs to face the consequences of his actions. Alcoholism is a reason behind his actions but it will never be an excuse. Particularly not for his alleged sexual assault.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
[MOD] Hopefully he gets well soon. I wish him all the best, especially as someone who's experienced similar situations with myself/family.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
What's most interesting that it says that he relapsed "before the holidays." He was still playing for the Preds at that time, his last game for them was on Jan 25th and he was waived Feb 3rd. That means that he didn't relapse because he was scratched, waived or demoted. Instead, he relapsed when he still had a solid place on the team and had played every game so far, so it's more probable that he was waived and demoted because he relapsed and it affected his play or the locker room (or Poile just didn't want to risk the cohesiveness of the team). If so, it was classy of the Preds to have kept it from getting out.

Excusing people of destructive habits and blaming everyone else for them, instead, is not constructive, either. Helping them involves encouraging personal responsibility and fighting temptation. You can't just not encourage those things because you're afraid that some will overreact and feel ashamed when they fail. The trick is to help them direct their reaction to failure in a positive direction (resolve), rather than a negative one (shame).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Very well said! :handclap:

I hope he gets his behavior under control. Shame.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I agree. Spent nearly 20 years living on the darkside--one reason I left Canada was to get away from some elements of my life that were unhealthy and the only way to deal with them was to get away from them.

At the end of the day it is Mike's job to look after himself and admit his problems and deal with him and I hope for the best he does. And maybe not playing hockey any more is for the best

Growing up I played with a few guys who got to the NHL and had "issues" during their career--and when their careers ended--took a few years--but the "Issues" also went away

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
After being set straight about alcoholism gotta say my thoughts and prayers are with him and his loved ones and hope he gets the fortunate opportunities to make the best recovery possible. He will always be fighting these demons and will always be on his mind. I cant imagine. Seriously hopes and prayers with him and his fam and friends

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
all the resources in the world thrown at him, more money than i could ever spend and somehow he can't get someone to keep the bottle out of his hand? MLB had josh hamilton **** testing 3 times a week to keep him clean, if ribeiro cared about his NHL career he coulda had a babysitter. hard to feel sympathy. way she goes.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
all the resources in the world thrown at him, more money than i could ever spend and somehow he can't get someone to keep the bottle out of his hand? MLB had josh hamilton **** testing 3 times a week to keep him clean, if ribeiro cared about his NHL career he coulda had a babysitter. hard to feel sympathy. way she goes.

It's like you're trying to be incredibly ignorant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad