Mike Ribeiro relapses into alcoholism; NHL future in doubt

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Funny story, my dad coached him at a QJMHL pre-season camp. The players had training plan they had to follow throughout the summer and Ribeiro didn't do any of them. He came in out of shape and really didn't give a crap. But he was so talented nobody could touch him.

I guess he was never that serious about hockey but since he had talent he saw it as a way to make a living. (and big bucks) He never looked like a happy dude living his passion honestly.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
I understand alcohol and drug addictions are a disease. That being said, I have zero tolerance for it. My dad was an alcoholic(cleaned up before I was born and has been clean since), my grandpa(my dad's dad, still a drunk ***hole), my older brother(now clean), three uncles on my mom's side(one dead from alcohol related issues, one still a drunk, the other working on cleaning up), my aunt also from my moms side(also dead from alcohol related issues), and another uncle from my mom's side who died before I was born(passed out drunk with a lit cigarette on a couch, died from smoke inhalation).
The problem is when people keep enabling and allowing it to happen. The only way to help them is to cut them out of your life. Give them an ultimatum. It doesn't always work, but has been proven to be the best bet at success.
I hope, for the sake of Ribeiro's children, that the adults in his life are already doing this or will do it soon.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In hindsight it was very stupid for Arizona to buy him out. They could've just waited to build enough cause to terminate the deal all together. They already had plenty of cause.

Beebop22

May 4, 2017
In hindsight it was very stupid for Arizona to buy him out. They could've just waited to build enough cause to terminate the deal all together. They already had plenty of cause.
Maybe they wanted the cap hit so it would help them get to the cap floor?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don’t disagree, but I think they were considering the individual who needs help. That sort of thing may have driven him deeper into the problem. On the contrary, though, the money only enables him to continue.

Tough situation for the Yotes and I’m not sure there’s a right answer to that.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

What cause, exactly? Having a drug/alcohol problem isn't cause by itself to terminate a contract.

I'm sure the Coyotes legal counsel went over that option (contract termination) extensively. In the end, they probably determined it wasn't worth the hassle, which would have been an inevitable PA grievance, and a possible court battle.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What cause, exactly? Having a drug/alcohol problem isn't cause by itself to terminate a contract.

I'm sure the Coyotes legal counsel went over that option (contract termination) extensively. In the end, they probably determined it wasn't worth the hassle, which would have been an inevitable PA grievance, and a possible court battle.
Late for practice. Missed practice. Missed the plane. Drinking and drugging night before game and playing hungover. The arrests were inevitable. Those are cause. All of that is cause.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Late for practice. Missed practice. Missed the plane. Drinking and drugging night before game and playing hungover. The arrests were inevitable. Those are cause. All of that is cause.

It's not cause. They would have to find him treatment if he admitted he had a problem. He'd sue and probably win.

Easier to just buy him out.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
It looks like he has a tracheostoma scar.
first thing i noticed too, guess it was a result of this

guess we can only hope this arrest isn't drinking-related but it sure is an easy assumption to make at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad