Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Not according to many posters here......go back and read the first few pages of the thread where we had just aquired him......the ridicule is pathetic. You'd thought we had just reacquired Streit....

Posters will come and tell you calm down its only been a few games, but after ZERO games played, he was labelled a flop by the very same posters.......it's quite incredible the double standard here
It's true that many reactions here are knee-jerk and premature, but in fairness, this is the team that actually did acquire Streit. And Hemsky.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Huh, you're saying that these small pick ups are the job of an assistant GM so why are you crediting MB with the finds? Why do you think it' s not one of the assistant GMs?
Bergevin was the one scouting the game (Minnesota vs Devils)

But really, if the people he hired are doing a good job, then he's doing a good job. That's why we blast him with the lack of player development success.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's true that many reactions here are knee-jerk and premature, but in fairness, this is the team that actually did acquire Streit. And Hemsky.
True......but we also aquired Byron, Deslauriers, Reilly and Lindgren for peanuts shells.

You win some and you lose some......one things for sure though, this off season, Bergevin must come up a big time winner with top 6 forwards or it'll be his last summer as a HABS GM

Reactions: Redux91

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Reilly is NOTHING like Beau and I wanted Beau when we drafted him. Beau plagued by not bad but terrible decisions. How many times did he lungs forward to keep the puck in the zone only to miss and have the other player go in on a breakaway instead of peeling back and playing the puck in the neautral zone? There’s a reason why he can’t make anything happen in a bad team like Buffalo this year where they gave him every opportunity and before on the Habs when they paired him with Weber to start.

Reilly is not perfect by any means. He needs to work on his defensive play for sure but even his mistakes aren’t complete bone head plays trying to make something out of nothing. They’re more trying to make a good play or just a bad decision which I hope is teachable with time. It’s not so much a lack of understanding like Beau.

Good pickup, cheap and helps make our D more mobile. Nothing not to like about it and so far a big improvement over Morrow and Davidson.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You don't have to worry about Reilly's decisions with the puck for the most part, just his decisions w/o the puck. I believe his Dad was drafted by the Canadiens way back when.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not according to many posters here......go back and read the first few pages of the thread where we had just aquired him......the ridicule is pathetic. You'd thought we had just reacquired Streit....

Posters will come and tell you calm down its only been a few games, but after ZERO games played with Montreal, he was labelled a flop by the very same posters.......it's quite incredible the double standard here

But it's insane how you can say that. You, by being here and accusing people are doing EXACTLY what you say you hate to see people doing. By judging how great he is NOW, but by asking patience for the ones who struggle, are EXACTLY using a double standard. How do you do that?

And people who did that, which I didn't agree with, I've been a Reilly fan since the WJC, have ALL THE REASONS to. Based on Bergevin's record. Based on how this season is going. Based on the fact that we want him out. Geez, you are one of his harshest defender, and YOU said that if he doesn't have a great summer, he is out...imagine the others who hate him. And you can't understand people reactions? Or you are just pretending not to understand for the sake of bashing other posters?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bergevin was the one scouting the game (Minnesota vs Devils)

But really, if the people he hired are doing a good job, then he's doing a good job. That's why we blast him with the lack of player development success.
The same scouts who recommended we bring in Dwight King, Stefan Matteau, Martinsen, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko? Those scouts?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Huh, you're saying that these small pick ups are the job of an assistant GM so why are you crediting MB with the finds? Why do you think it' s not one of the assistant GMs?

He hasn't done anything else, so I assume he's been involved in those transactions. What do you think he does all day, shop for suits and gel his hair?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The same scouts who recommended we bring in Dwight King, Stefan Matteau, Martinsen, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko? Those scouts?
Where did I say the Pro scouting is "A-One"??

And I'm pretty sure I said Bergevin went and scouted him himself.

im like most here, I'd like to see the pro scouting scouts let go. Although they may have found a good piece here a good piece there, it's not good enough. Same with Lefebvre and co., they've developed a few players for sure, but the overall body of work isn't good enough, even though I believe the pre Bergevin era drafting was extremely poor, change it for the sake of change if you will, optically, someone's gotta pay the price, to satisfy the fanbase so to speak.

Reactions: 417

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
But it's insane how you can say that. You, by being here and accusing people are doing EXACTLY what you say you hate to see people doing. By judging how great he is NOW, but by asking patience for the ones who struggle, are EXACTLY using a double standard. How do you do that?

And people who did that, which I didn't agree with, I've been a Reilly fan since the WJC, have ALL THE REASONS to. Based on Bergevin's record. Based on how this season is going. Based on the fact that we want him out. Geez, you are one of his harshest defender, and YOU said that if he doesn't have a great summer, he is out...imagine the others who hate him. And you can't understand people reactions? Or you are just pretending not to understand for the sake of bashing other posters?
I don't think he's great!!......I believe he's done some good things and poor ones in his tenure......the point here is that posters are automatically blasting any player that Bergevin aquires even though they havent even played one effin game because it's a "Bergevin" aquisition......I mean, how immature is that!!

I'm sure some here were begging, hoping that Reilly would fail so they can curve jump Bergevins head even more. It's come to the point where posters want to see this team fail over it being successful on account of their poor little feelings towards the GM.....it's truly pathetic!!

Reactions: 417

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I don't think he's great!!......I believe he's done some good things and poor ones in his tenure......the point here is that posters are automatically blasting any player that Bergevin aquires even though they havent even played one effin game because it's a "Bergevin" aquisition......I mean, how immature is that!!

I'm sure some here were begging, hoping that Reilly would fail so they can curve jump Bergevins head even more. It's come to the point where posters want to see this team fail over it being successful on account of their poor little feelings towards the GM.....it's truly pathetic!!

That actually is not what it's all about. We cannot count on this management, ownership and whatever to be clairvoyant. Bergevin should have never received a 5-year extension. Same for Julien. Nobody should and can trust this management. So if the end result as to be the firing of Bergie, yes, you have to unfortunately wish that most moves won't work. Not because you hate the team but because you like it so much that failing hard seems, for them, to be the only way they can be obligated to move. Geez, we keep failing in the AHL and we still to this day have the same coach. Imagine if we would have had a winning season this year....he would have probably gotten another 3-year extension. At one point, if they keep losing, they will have no choice but to look elsewhere. Yet again, if we would have a more clairvoyant management, we wouldn't have to wish hell to our team. It can't be more clearer than this.

Besides, in any sane world, seeing Reilly, Valiev or whoever filler succeed should NOT stop from thinking that the GM is still not the right man for the job. It shouldn't. But it's not too far fetch to think that this is what Molson thinks. And that this is why some want to see those kids fail.

Bergevin has no slept with anybody's wife on this board. If people hate him and want him gone is totally linked to his job as GM. And their beliefe that to see him gone, we need him to be totally unsuccesful as the owner could take whatever win as a sign of how great his GM is.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Reilly is NOTHING like Beau and I wanted Beau when we drafted him. Beau plagued by not bad but terrible decisions. How many times did he lungs forward to keep the puck in the zone only to miss and have the other player go in on a breakaway instead of peeling back and playing the puck in the neautral zone? There’s a reason why he can’t make anything happen in a bad team like Buffalo this year where they gave him every opportunity and before on the Habs when they paired him with Weber to start.

Reilly is not perfect by any means. He needs to work on his defensive play for sure but even his mistakes aren’t complete bone head plays trying to make something out of nothing. They’re more trying to make a good play or just a bad decision which I hope is teachable with time. It’s not so much a lack of understanding like Beau.

Good pickup, cheap and helps make our D more mobile. Nothing not to like about it and so far a big improvement over Morrow and Davidson.

They are nothing alike? They both skate really well, and can be pretty physical when they want to. They both are prone to bad decisions without the puck. They aren't exactly the same player. For example, it seems Reilly has more tools offensively, but to say they are nothing alike is false.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
What about hoping Bergevin improves and makes better decisions and moves?

Because it's not a question of that. He tells us there are a plan. Which seems to change depending of who is available. Because he keeps guys in any places of the organization that struggles. Because for him, he doesn't have to improve. Everything is going according to plan. And the team looks just as bad as when he came in. And the only way he is saved is because of Timmins picks if those ones succeed. It has nothing to do with his own moves. The biggest moves he made, as of now, do not help the team. Whether it's Weber or Drouin. Everything else are fillers that comes and leaves. And the ones who stay are not the ones that will play a great role for us. Yes Byron and Danault are fine moves. But they will not be determining as to the quality of this team. He keeps Lefebvre despite an awful record.

For me, Bergevin improvement is somebody else. He has WAY too many things to improve so that I'd take a chance keeping him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

And another thing I want to add....this is also why people want the Habs to lose right now. Not because we hate the team. But because we want the best picks possible. Winning right now will not make us be in the playoffs. It will just put us in a worst position. Let say we go in a tear and miss the playoffs by 4-6 points. Not only it means a worst draft pick. It also means that this management will really believe that with Weber and Price, we are in the playoffs and ONLY the injuries will explain why we are not in there. Not the lack of #2 on D to play with Weber. Not the lack of centermen. EVeryting will be based on the injuries. Rinse and repeat. No major changes. We have to deal with a non proactive management. They need to be shown how much we suck to realize what kind of problems we have. But the same ones who you think want to see Rielly suck, will be amongst the first ones, if Bergevin is gone or after the draft, to hope that he can explode and be a top 4. 'Cause THEN we will be starting a new year. With new aspirations. But of now, winning is NOT good for the sake for this team over a longer period of time.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
And another thing I want to add....this is also why people want the Habs to lose right now. Not because we hate the team. But because we want the best picks possible. Winning right now will not make us be in the playoffs. It will just put us in a worst position. Let say we go in a tear and miss the playoffs by 4-6 points. Not only it means a worst draft pick. It also means that this management will really believe that with Weber and Price, we are in the playoffs and ONLY the injuries will explain why we are not in there. Not the lack of #2 on D to play with Weber. Not the lack of centermen. EVeryting will be based on the injuries. Rinse and repeat. No major changes. We have to deal with a non proactive management. They need to be shown how much we suck to realize what kind of problems we have. But the same ones who you think want to see Rielly suck, will be amongst the first ones, if Bergevin is gone or after the draft, to hope that he can explode and be a top 4. 'Cause THEN we will be starting a new year. With new aspirations. But of now, winning is NOT good for the sake for this team over a longer period of time.

No doubt winning is not good. But what do you do for the remainder of the year? I think Julien is doing a good job: playing the young guys, rotating Niemi and Lindgren. If we are successful, it just proves the vets need to go and we need to go with the young guys. While it would suck to fall in the draft, what is Julien going to do, start sitting the young guys and playing the lousy vets he's been playing all year because he now has evidence the young guys are better than Schlemko, Benn, Alzner, Shaw, etc...?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
They are nothing alike? They both skate really well, and can be pretty physical when they want to. They both are prone to bad decisions without the puck. They aren't exactly the same player. For example, it seems Reilly has more tools offensively, but to say they are nothing alike is false.

You’ve described about 60% of NHL defenceman with your summary.

The core of my argument is that they are very different players. You seem to agree with that.

RandR

May 15, 2011
That actually is not what it's all about. We cannot count on this management, ownership and whatever to be clairvoyant. Bergevin should have never received a 5-year extension. Same for Julien. Nobody should and can trust this management. So if the end result as to be the firing of Bergie, yes, you have to unfortunately wish that most moves won't work. Not because you hate the team but because you like it so much that failing hard seems, for them, to be the only way they can be obligated to move. Geez, we keep failing in the AHL and we still to this day have the same coach. Imagine if we would have had a winning season this year....he would have probably gotten another 3-year extension. At one point, if they keep losing, they will have no choice but to look elsewhere. Yet again, if we would have a more clairvoyant management, we wouldn't have to wish hell to our team. It can't be more clearer than this.

Besides, in any sane world, seeing Reilly, Valiev or whoever filler succeed should NOT stop from thinking that the GM is still not the right man for the job. It shouldn't. But it's not too far fetch to think that this is what Molson thinks. And that this is why some want to see those kids fail.

Bergevin has no slept with anybody's wife on this board. If people hate him and want him gone is totally linked to his job as GM. And their beliefe that to see him gone, we need him to be totally unsuccesful as the owner could take whatever win as a sign of how great his GM is.
Good post.

Hoping that everything MB does turns into a failure is both unrealistic and counterproductive though. And it’s not as if Reilly becoming a good acquisition is going to turn this team back into an outside contender or even a playoff team next year if MB doesn’t solve the biggest or most endemic problems on the team.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Fine, you hate the guy, you hate the guy, I'm so good with that, but since when is the urge to hate a GM supercede the success of the team?? It's clearly become more of that on these boards. It ain't Canadiens discussion anymore, it's become a place to vent ones hate. Since when is "f*** you Bergevin" become a point of discussion after a HABS win?

If he makes a good aquisition, why not like it? Why automatically hate it? Why automatically peg it as a disaster of a trade.....oh no, we gave up a 5th rounder in 2019 (WAS) for Reilly who's already posted 3pts........I know if it would be the other way around, if we traded Reilly, it would be repeated that the Washington 5th is practically a 6th, but in this case, it's a 5th for a depth D on Minnesota, no mention of that 5th practically being a 6th.

How quickly we forget how this organization gave up on Pateryn and that he's doing so well in Dallas but when we aquire a D from another organization, the notion of that D becoming anything is quickly squashed and will be disproved at all cost. So it's possible for D or forwards to leave here and become something, but impossible the other way around?

If Bergevins next 4 moves involve getting a true number one centre, a #2LHD, gets rid of Pacioretty for good young prospects and drafts really good young players in 2018.......what would be your reaction? Would it be to trying to disprove everything he's done? Or would you give him props and support him?

Wasn't it nice to see Juulsen and Reilley play the way they did last night?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hey, I get it, I want this team to lose also, for the better of the team, the draft, but I'm still good with him aquiring good players. Not saying Reilly is a slam dunk of a great player, but his first impression is pretty impressive!

Success right now is seeing these players gel, seeing the chances being created, Lindgren making great saves, seeing Scherbak and Juulsen emerg..

I'd love to see us finish 5th worst, picking top 3, trading Pacioretty and trading away Schlemko. 5 picks in the first two rounds, Poelhing, Fleury and Primeau doing really well in the minors, then adding 5 more prospects to that impressive list....don't know about you but I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel....we'll see

WG

Sep 9, 2008
What about hoping Bergevin improves and makes better decisions and moves?
Would be reasonable except we've seen zero evidence that this is in his DNA. Worst mistake of all was hiring and not firing Therrible at the various points where it was warranted. Well, we have an AHL coach now into year 6 of complete and utter failure to develop prospects for the NHL or win anything. Last off-season, instead of shit-canning Sly, Bergevin gave him the "If you love something set it free" treatment. Sly looked around for an NHL job and since no other team had any use for a guy with his pathetic resume Sly was welcomed back to continue to fail at the AHL level. Same for JJD, all the Carrieres, etc. No progress? No problem, jobs for life. So one lesson not learned yet.

Bergevin continues to flail about for some vision, a year ago acquiring worthless plugs like King was paramount, then signing a zero-event pylon like Alzner. NOW, we I guess are going for youth and speed. No idea what constitutes proper roster construction. Lesson two still requires him to go to summer school.

And he has yet to display one ounce of reticence for his failings. It's always somebody else's doing. Player development stalling is on the players. Team is sucking, well, answer's in the room. I have no idea why there are trade rumours about Max and Galchenyuk. Dogs and loyalty. Galch is never ever going to be a centre but Drouin gets a mile of rope and the team uses everybody else but Youppi at C. Why is this (answer, ego and no ability to dmit mistakes)? Does any of this sound like a guy taking the failures to heart and making changes?

Most management groups in the face of the current state of failure would conduct some post mortem and critically evaluate what needs to change. Do you honestly see this happening with the current friends and family plan we have running the org right now? I don't which means I want Bergy and his entire foxhole gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad