Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reilly might end up being a steal for you, or be out of the league in two years. For a 5th, you're laughing. I do not think he has an elite shot from the point, but it's OK. Very creative, with good passing, great skating( best spinorama since the Savard's). Can run a PP...might be perfect with Weber.

He tries to make the " creative" play in his own end rather than the simple one, which can get him in trouble. Also gets caught up with ill advised pinches and over optimistic rushes. Not really a physical player.

I think he can be coached up, given some patience. I guess you'll find out. There is no reason that he can't develop better judgement, and pick his posts better. In MN, he was simply benched when he made a mistake. We already have a guy like Reilly in Matt Dumba.

Don't mean to make him sound completely awful on D. He can go for games at a time where he is decent back there. He is nothing like Scandella, however, who is a legit top 4 Dman, not a project.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Reilly might end up being a steal for you, or be out of the league in two years. For a 5th, you're laughing. I do not think he has an elite shot from the point, but it's OK. Very creative, with good passing, great skating( best spinorama since the Savard's). Can run a PP...might be perfect with Weber.

He tries to make the " creative" play in his own end rather than the simple one, which can get him in trouble. Also gets caught up with ill advised pinches and over optimistic rushes. Not really a physical player.

I think he can be coached up, given some patience. I guess you'll find out. There is no reason that he can't develop better judgement, and pick his posts better. In MN, he was simply benched when he made a mistake. We already have a guy like Reilly in Matt Dumba.

Don't mean to make him sound completely awful on D. He can go for games at a time where he is decent back there. He is nothing like Scandella, however, who is a legit top 4 Dman, not a project.
Thanks for the input ! Hopefully he'll reach his potential with us or at least become a decent third pairing d-man.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'm a Wild fan, but I caught the first period or so of the game last night because I was curious to see if Julien would play Reilly much. He ended up leading the team in TOI?! That's the sort of thing could do him a world of good.

Anyway, I wanted to say that he's actually very good in terms of "puck skills" and I think you'll see more of that early on as he settles in and gets more comfortable with the new system. He also tends to be quite confident with the puck and what he does with it; it looks like someone already quoted Stevens' line about "a nice, firm pass." On the powerplay especially you'll see him try to make things happen, and most of the time he'll pull it off.

The big thing he's going to need to work on is his decision-making and figuring out what works and what doesn't in the NHL. He figured it out in college, he figured it out in the AHL, and I think he'll figure it out in the NHL if he's given time and some room to make mistakes. In the meantime you'll see plenty of flubs and it's going to piss you off. This is the ideal time for him to be working that stuff out, when he doesn't have to worry about "making an impact" to avoid being scratched next game. Because Reilly's idea of "making an impact" has typically been "creating offense", and that's probably not what he should be focusing on at this point in his career.

He could still crater completely, but he's a great way to invest a 5th round pick + consistent ice time at the end of a season that's probably already a write-off. I hope he works out as well for you as Scandella did for Buffalo.

Thanks for the info. I wish we had gone after Montrealer Schadella, instead of Alzner...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thanks for the input ! Hopefully he'll reach his potential with us or at least become a decent third pairing d-man.
I think he's boom or bust. Either top 4 or out of the league. He, is essentially, a LH Matt Dumba. Dumba can be brilliant, and win a game for you single handedly, or bad, and lose one for you. You can only have so many of those guys on the team. If Reilly a plays a full season I can see him getting 30 pts, easily. More if he's on the PP, which he should be. Not so much the PK.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Reilly has intriguing tools and may just be a late bloomer.

Pronman's take on Reilly in 2013:

Mike Russo in Sept. 2016:

This is interesting -- there was at least one other team that was in on Reilly this time out:

Habs were part of a group of clubs vying for Reilly when he became a free agent back in 2015:

He ended up choosing the Wild, as reported in June 2015:

The Habs weren't a finalist on Reilly's list, but his choosing the Wild may have been influenced by this:

The Habs are interested in free agent defenseman Mike Reilly

Former Gophers defenseman Mike Reilly talks about choosing Wild

Most glowing report of his abilities comes from The Hockey News:

This looks like a nice upside player. Here's hoping they give him plenty of ice time.

Thank you for the illuminating leg work, R77.

Reactions: donghabs98

Locks

May 28, 2005
Thanks for the info. I wish we had gone after Montrealer Schadella, instead of Alzner...

We did and reportedly there was a trade in place with Mini at the draft that involved our first pick. When they saw that Ryan Poeling was still there, the trade was aborted. In fact, Alzner was a plan C after Scandella and Methot

@special57 Thanks for the Reilly report. I cannot understand how people can be unhappy with this move, considering the negligible price to get him and his contract. Yes, he is a project but well worth it, we are not talking Schlemko here.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
We did and reportedly there was a trade in place with Mini at the draft that involved our first pick. When they saw that Ryan Poeling was still there, the trade was aborted. In fact, Alzner was a plan C after Scandella and Methot

@special57 Thanks for the Reilly report. I cannot understand how people can be unhappy with this move, considering the negligible price to get him and his contract. Yes, he is a project but well worth it, we are not talking Schlemko here.

Thank god we got Alzner then. We should be keeping all our 1st and 2nd round picks unless we can use them to land a special player, not Methot for a 2nd or Scandella for a 1st.

The ideal scenario now is Bergevin is fired immediately and Alzner is moved. The next best scenario, which I don't think will play out but there's still a slight chance: Bergevin is actually true to his word and has learned that slow dmen are a problem in today's NHL and he himself finds a taker for Alzner.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Minnesota’s d core is danm good, he has a better chance to blossom here.
Thats why this is looking more and more like a big time steal for us, if he can flourish next to weber in training camp next year, and the rest of our pieces slot into their spots, could mean wonders for the team

just keep it up Mikey

fun fact : reilly, just like poehling, has two older brother twins and they all played together too, (and just like poehling, his brothers suck lol..)
Penticton Vees 2011-12 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com
U. of Minnesota 2014-15 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

The habs dont coach players, theyll run him out of town really early.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
The sincere words by Lindgren and Galchenyuk about Reilly made me not worried at all. The puck is on his court. It depends only on you. Rie les dans l'gueule buddy.

Reactions: Big Lurk

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
McCarron too?

Clearly. Theres no way MCCarron doesnt become a NHL player. There was/is talent there. Same thing with DLR too. Whenever a player doesnt progress from his draft year, its not on the drafting/scouting.

A few busts from the Habs organisation: Thrower, Lernout, Fucale, Crisp, Collberg, Kristo. Those guys busted because they outright sucked or had injuries or whatever. Thats on drafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad