Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
We did and reportedly there was a trade in place with Mini at the draft that involved our first pick. When they saw that Ryan Poeling was still there, the trade was aborted. In fact, Alzner was a plan C after Scandella and Methot

@special57 Thanks for the Reilly report. I cannot understand how people can be unhappy with this move, considering the negligible price to get him and his contract. Yes, he is a project but well worth it, we are not talking Schlemko here.

I don't think it's the trade on paper people are unhappy about. It's the type of move, yet another depth move, one you'd make when you're tweaking a potential contender, or have the defensive depth to let a player develop under a sheltered umbrella. It's not the move we were looking for. It's not the one we were expecting. It's not the one we wanted

It really has nothing to do with Reilly or the cost to get him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think it's the trade on paper people are unhappy about. It's the type of move, yet another depth move, one you'd make when you're tweaking a potential contender, or have the defensive depth to let a player develop under a sheltered umbrella. It's not the move we were looking for. It's not the one we were expecting. It's not the one we wanted

Its a good move no matter what you are. If they develop him theyre gonna get value back.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Its a good move no matter what you are. If they develop him theyre gonna get value back.
Play him a lot next season with weber, bring up his value. Come feb when we are out of the playoffs trade him for a 3rd rounder...Guess I will have to eat crow at that point. Bergie with the moves turning 5th round picks into 3rd rounders.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Minny's D were so much better stacked than ours .. in minny..he can never usurp Ryan Suter ...but in montreal? that spot is vacant, go on and grab it mike, if you can

You could see in his post game press conference with like 10 microphones shoved in his face you could see him like " oh shit...this really is the SHOW", he was a bit giddy, now, lets hope that excitement leads to him becoming what we all hope he becomes a top 4 LD we sorely need, or ...will it go to his head and falter

Keep it up Mike

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
7 points in 45 games this year, he's finished, youll see him in europe in a couple years

Did you see his boner last night v. tB? He attempted a cross rink pass to his fellow Dman that was easily intercepted and the TB guy went in alone on a break a way. Didn’t score though.

Reactions: Redux91

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minny's D were so much better stacked than ours .. in minny..he can never usurp Ryan Suter ...but in montreal? that spot is vacant, go on and grab it mike, if you can

You could see in his post game press conference with like 10 microphones shoved in his face you could see him like " oh ****...this really is the SHOW", he was a bit giddy, now, lets hope that excitement leads to him becoming what we all hope he becomes a top 4 LD we sorely need, or ...will it go to his head and falter

Keep it up Mike
Suter AND Brodin, then two more good young guys in Olofsson and Seeler, then Loov in the minors...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The spot is vacant for someone with skills.

My god please let MB tenure not turn into Houle 2.0 cause we are heading in this direction very fast. That'S exactly what Houle was all about. Getting the rejectd of other teams instead of trying to get skilled guys.

Minnesota's defense being good doesn't matter. This guy was offered to all teams. And no GM thought he was worth a 4th round pick. It means all GMs think he's awful.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Play him a lot next season with weber, bring up his value. Come feb when we are out of the playoffs trade him for a 3rd rounder...Guess I will have to eat crow at that point. Bergie with the moves turning 5th round picks into 3rd rounders.
Or he’ll waive him and then have another GM trade him for a 3rd rounder

Reactions: Doc McKenna

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Minnesota's defense being good doesn't matter. This guy was offered to all teams. And no GM thought he was worth a 4th round pick. It means all GMs think he's awful.

Legit source about that statement?

We got Valiev form a stack LD prospect bank and we got a legit NHLer from a stack team in dmen. That could end up with nothing good but Reilly has multiples success in his career so who knows. I dont say we actually repeat the goodie done when we took Souray but we have to try this kind of move when the cost isnt expensive and we have zillions picks in a year draft. Remember you that zillions picks dont extend your numbers of professional contracts

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

We got Valiev form a stack LD prospect bank and we got a legit NHLer from a stack team in dmen. That could end up with nothing good but Reilly has multiples success in his career so who knows. I dont say we actually repeat the goodie done when we took Souray but we have to try this kind of move when the cost isnt expensive and we have zillions picks in a year draft. Remember you that zillions picks dont extend your numbers of professional contracts

And its a 2019 5th rounder as well

Locks

May 28, 2005

Well, if teams followed this approach, then Tampa wouldn't have made the blockbuster trade they made. Teams try to improve by all kinds of moves, big or small. And it is kind of strange to talk about Habs making just depth moves when by all accounts they were looking to make a blockbuster trade by moving a top forward and captain. Sure, we all want a big move and I was disappointed that Pacio trade did not happen but I would be a lot more disappointed if the trade was not a good one for the team. The big trade has to be there, otherwise we end up worse off.

And I would not qualify this trade as a depth move. The depth move was the acquisition of Benn or Davidson. This trade is closer to acquiring a prospect in a rather advance stage of his development. Yes, he might end up being a depth player for all we know but he clearly has the tools to become more than that as he did not get the opportunity in Mini.

And how many top four defensemen were traded during the off-season? I can think of one - Hamonic. And he is not exactly a difference maker with Calgary playing around 20 minutes and scoring 9 points. And Calgary payed a heck of a price to get him - a first and two seconds.
With the emergence of Mete and Juulsen as potential top four dmen in the near future, I don't think spending major assets in this area is a priority - the centre position is the top priority that should be addressed.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

We are actually missing several late round picks. We are missing our 4, 6, and 7th round picks this year and Reilly for a 5ht pick from next year. Yes we have several extra 2nd rounders. We have the jets 4th for morrow, but that may be late in the 4th and we haven't qualified on Montoya or the Kings because they haven't qualified for the playoffs yet. You can see it here.
Montreal Canadiens Future Draft Pick Status
So while it "doesn't cost us much" it all depends if you are looking at primes that line up, or if a 25 year old will be good on our blueline in 3-4 years when this years draft starts to bear fruit.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Reilly has always been extremely good offensively (he's on another level than Morrow), he just needs to round out his defensive game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The spot is vacant for someone with skills.

My god please let MB tenure not turn into Houle 2.0 cause we are heading in this direction very fast. That'S exactly what Houle was all about. Getting the rejectd of other teams instead of trying to get skilled guys.

Okay well I saw a kid with a skillset and potential when i watched him play. The trade deadline is rarely a time for that kind of trade seeing as people want established players or picks not projects.

The pro scouting has been decent on the team so I am happy to give rielly the next 20 games to prove himself. I'm glad they tried bringing someone in knowing the next 20 are going to be essentially a summer camp

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm glad they got him, we have nothing to lose other then a 5th rounder next year which can easily be replaced by another trade at some point. He's bounced back and forth in the NHL/AHL but this was his first full season in the NHL so who knows the Habs may have a decent LD going forward, just need to pair him with a good stay at home type. Would be very interested to see him learn from Weber next year.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
You can see the offensive skill, but that defensive game is gonna be an adventure. Maybe it develops.

As for those upset at the move, what player do you think we should have acquired at the deadline. It was almost all rentals moving.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Okay well I saw a kid with a skillset and potential when i watched him play. The trade deadline is rarely a time for that kind of trade seeing as people want established players or picks not projects.

The pro scouting has been decent on the team so I am happy to give rielly the next 20 games to prove himself. I'm glad they tried bringing someone in knowing the next 20 are going to be essentially a summer camp

It's still only a 5th round pick. A bottom east team would have offered more if he had lot skills.

I'm not saying he's not an NHLer. What i'm saying is he's not an improvement over what we have. He's not a solution for our top 4. As long as Benn and Schlemko are still here this move changes nothing. Of course i would like him to push one of Benn or Schlemko out of the team. But this is far from done. This management likes Benn a lot. And Schlemko with his contract is likely not going anywhere until next deadline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad